Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Foil / No Foil?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While not the most advanced car, Information Security considerations need to be on the radar for everyone. I've noticed with vulnerabilities that they have a way of being addressed and then slipping back in from complacency.

A big one boils down to having fobs 'shielded' with a tinfoil hat at night. Seems a bit silly. Pretty much the reason the Gov still hands out the foil lined card holders with federal employee badges and military.

Most only resort to something like that after getting something stolen the first time. Unfortunately for a few; more than once from the same type of attack that snags the replacement a few days apart.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are:
Radio Attack Lets Hackers Steal Cars With Just $20 Worth of Gear | WIRED

7 ways Hackers are Stealing Keyless Cars (komando.com)

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
680 Posts
I've heard it's a problem in Canada that thieves would go out and drive around harvesting RF signals emitting from keyless entry enabled key fobs. Once they found that signal, they would clone the signal. And at night, they would come back with the clone key to drive the vehicle off to a port somewhere and the vehicle will get shipped to other countries sold for 2x or 3x the price.

At first I thought this was impossible until I watch this

Does NFC card work passively without emitting signal? If that's the case, then just use NFC card and turn off the key fob until you have to use it

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've heard it's a problem in Canada that thieves would go out and drive around harvesting RF signals emitting from keyless entry enabled key fobs. Once they found that signal, they would clone the signal. And at night, they would come back with the clone key to drive the vehicle off to a port somewhere and the vehicle will get shipped to other countries sold for 2x or 3x the price.

At first I thought this was impossible until I watch this

Does NFC card work passively without emitting signal? If that's the case, then just use NFC card and turn off the key fob until you have to use it
Was just in the paper, similar technique was used to steal Tom Cruise's BMW while filming in Birmingham, England.....got some of Tommy's luggage as well. The security guys are in hot water.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
NFC is very short range, so they'd have to be inside your vehicle to read anything from it. The N does stand for near, after all. Reality is anyone sufficiently motivated to steal anything from a car to your identity will find a way and the only one really inconvenienced is you. I've had keyless fobs for a decade now. Never had an issue short of dead batteries. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost thought I got in hot water for posting the thread.. but it was cleared by the mods it seems.

Please don't post source code or the actual tools, only the general type and info for awareness of attacks.

Apparently Cruze got his ride lifted pretty recently. Guess that's why he's riding a 🚁 now

·
Registered
741 Posts
This was discussed before, but basically what they do is a relay attack. They go to your front or back door and scan for a short range signal assuming most people keep their keys by their door, then a tool grabs that signal, relays it longer distance to another tool held near the vehicle that then allows the doors to unlock and ignition to start.

The only ones really vulnerable to this type of attack are the fobs that don't have a motion sleep function. Most now after resting without being disturbed don't emit a signal, so attackers can't use it without physically breaking into the home.

For those fobs that don't have a sleep function, no need for a sleeve, just use any type of metal box it can have holes in it or even be mesh, it will disrupt the signal like a faraday cage and thwart attackers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick and easy way to safeguard any modern vehicle if you have to leave it parked at a trailhead or an airport or any situation where you have a genuine theft concern is to remove the ignition or fuel injection relay. They tend to be clearly marked in one of your fuse or other boxes under the hood and are easily removed and put back in. Don't lose it, just as a thief is entirely unlikely to have a spare relay, getting one yourself and getting back to the car will be very time consuming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we lived in Orange County, CA, I located the wiring harness connector going to the fuel injectors in our 2010 Kia Soul. It was easy to get to. By slightly pulling it apart, the engine would start and die immediately, rinse and repeat. No thief wants a car which might stall on him. I only used when going to the airport or similar locations.
If you are technically challenged a $ 2.00 10 mm wrench will disconnect the battery negative cable. Nothing would work, and thieves are not interested in troubleshooting your dead car unless it is something super special.
As for now, we live in a place where we could leave the front door unlocked for 2 months and leave the house without a thing taken. Paradise, CA 95969. How it happened is another story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts