Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the unveiling of the new Honda Ridgeline at the 2016 Detroit Autoshow. I was impressed. I now have a Subura Baja that I love but I don't know how much more time it has. I don't need a truck but I love having the good gas mileage and small truck bed. The small bed is the key. As well as Home Depot trips, I can't tell you how much other stuff I have stuffed in back there. Plus I'm a big mountain biker so having the low bed makes the bike easy on/easy off. I've been lurking on these forums for more than a year now hoping for confirmation of the Santa Cruz. I can probably hold off for awhile but they better announce something!

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Koreans are taking their time, but I'm pretty confident it will get approved and brought to market pretty quickly. I just wonder how much the Santa Cruz will become just like every other truck on the market, or will it maintain its unique design in comparison to the competition.

·
Registered
385 Posts
But they already have the platform (Tucson) so that cuts down on development time. And if they want to fast track it, that is possible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
But they already have the platform (Tucson) so that cuts down on development time. And if they want to fast track it, that is possible.
They have taken over a year to even "possibly" green light it; nothing they do at this point will be considered "fast track", unless they've been secretly building them already! :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Saw the unveiling of the new Honda Ridgeline at the 2016 Detroit Autoshow. I was impressed. I now have a Subura Baja that I love but I don't know how much more time it has. I don't need a truck but I love having the good gas mileage and small truck bed. The small bed is the key. As well as Home Depot trips, I can't tell you how much other stuff I have stuffed in back there. Plus I'm a big mountain biker so having the low bed makes the bike easy on/easy off. I've been lurking on these forums for more than a year now hoping for confirmation of the Santa Cruz. I can probably hold off for awhile but they better announce something!
This was my fear in Hyundai taking their sweet time and waiting to decide. Very GM of them, sadly. While the Honda isn't the same, those (such as you) who are in the market for a vehicle like this will see the Honda as available NOW (or, very soon) as opposed to the Hyundai, which might be out in mid-2017 as a 2018 model!

·
Registered
102 Posts
To go from concept to reality was always going to take 2-3 years. Luckily they had already started some of the work, and being based off the Tucson will save some time off the 5+ years it usually takes to develop a vehicle from scratch.

FYI, Honda first teased the new Ridgeline over 2 years ago.

2016 Honda Ridgeline pickup teased - Kelley Blue Book
I get that. I don't believe it had to take 12 months to get to this point, though. Not to mention, Honda already HAD a pickup truck named Ridgeline. They could afford to drag their feet a little more than Hyundai.

Oh, well, maybe when my lease is up on my Outback in late 2018, Hyundai will be able to show me a Santa Cruz, eh? :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
But we kind of already knew it was going to happen, just had to wait for them to say it. The market is primed like crazy for a product like this and Hyundai is getting in early on the curve, possibly locking in a good portion of the demand, now that`s luck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
But we kind of already knew it was going to happen, just had to wait for them to say it. The market is primed like crazy for a product like this and Hyundai is getting in early on the curve, possibly locking in a good portion of the demand, now that`s luck.
That's not luck, that is skill and strategy. A smart move by Hyundai.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hyundai better get off their @$$; Jeep has announced their new pickup for 2017; Chevrolet has been selling Colorado's for a couple years; Toyota has released its new Tacoma. Wait a little longer and Ford will have its world Ranger and the market will be saturated.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Santa Cruz is a bit different than those other competitors. Most of them are conventional small pickups, where the Santa Cruz is a bit different in style, shape and size. The Wrangler pickup is also quite different from the norm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Santa Cruz is a compact truck while those others mentioned are midsize. The Santa Cruze will be smaller and should undercut them in price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Santa Cruz is only compact in that it only has ~ 3'6" box (not extended). Tuscon platform is just as wide as the Colorado; within a couple inches in height and with box extended 18" would be within a foot of as long as the Colorado (and Colorado box would still be 6" longer).

Chevrolet is offering Colorados* for $20k (and discounting that); Hyundai isn't going to be able to undercut that. Volumes just aren't there for the Santa Cruz. Now, there is a strong niche market that the Santa Cruz could tap, it is getting smaller the longer Hyundai waits...

*yes, that is the base 2WD, but that is the number that will get the buyer into the show room.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Santa Cruz is only compact in that it only has ~ 3'6" box (not extended). Tuscon platform is just as wide as the Colorado; within a couple inches in height and with box extended 18" would be within a foot of as long as the Colorado (and Colorado box would still be 6" longer).

Chevrolet is offering Colorados* for $20k (and discounting that); Hyundai isn't going to be able to undercut that. Volumes just aren't there for the Santa Cruz. Now, there is a strong niche market that the Santa Cruz could tap, it is getting smaller the longer Hyundai waits...

*yes, that is the base 2WD, but that is the number that will get the buyer into the show room.
I don't believe they will handle (nor look) like each other in any way, but I do agree with you TOTALLY about Hyundai dragging their feet. It has been over a year since the auto-world was buzzing about this and they STILL have yet to officially decide. From that point, what...another 18-24 months to production? Sorry, but they will be SO late to the game by then. If they were putting out these vehicles NOW, they'd have a chance. By the time they do, others will be already in the game, or will have at least announced.

·
Registered
728 Posts
One way to think about it is the more they delay things at this stage the less they have to keep the ball rolling. I'm sure they're going to want consistent hype spread out rather than one build up of hype and then it just dies completely till a year later.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One way to think about it is the more they delay things at this stage the less they have to keep the ball rolling. I'm sure they're going to want consistent hype spread out rather than one build up of hype and then it just dies completely till a year later.
Which is EXACTLY what they have done. They stole NAIAS 2015, then went completely brain-dead. Kind of the same way they butchered the launch of the 2016 Tucson, which is one of the main reasons why I'm driving a Subaru Outback, now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts