Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

· Registered
497 Posts
One of the reasons I wanted a small pickup truck was so I could haul a cylinder of Argon/CO2 shielding gas for my MIG welder. Today the current cylinder was finally depleted and I drove to Airgas to exchange it (and a few dollars) for a new filled cylinder. Chances of a leak are almost non-existent, but Argon displaces oxygen and could take someone’s life if transported in a closed vehicle. I used the Santa Cruz to bring the new cylinder of gas home (but, did not take a photo).
Not just depleting oxygen but in a crash they can flatten your head just bouncing around and If the valve gets knocked off they become a nice missile too. Ive seen tanks go through poured block walls. Most places around here won't let you take a cylinder inside your car/truck. Some don't like for you to lay them down in your bed either but if its a spare tank and not going to be used immediately they don't care. I keep big 75/25 tanks and oxygen/acetylene and smaller straight Argon tanks at the shop.

I had an early 90s 2wd 2.3 liter 5 speed ranger for years that I used pretty much just for hauling tanks. It didn't get the mileage you might expect (mid 20s) but it beat our big blocks and v10s we used at the time (single digits up to maybe 14mpg highway). Lol. Wouldn't hold up much weight but it did the job.

We also had a 90s S15 (GMC ext cab version s10) with the 4.3 and a 5 speed we used as a fuel truck for our equipment. . That one had a 100+ gallon diesel transfer tank mounted in the bed. Handled that for over 200k miles with no sagging or issues. Plenty of power but mileage was pretty terrible. 15 mpg on a good fill up. But the tank and fuel and pump was pushing 1k lb and then all the tools and such in the unusable back seat area. It had the back seats that folded down sideways out of the back. The occupants faced each other.. I doubt much of anyone ever rode in those though. They were pretty bad.

As far as our Cruz, its had a bag or two of trash. Lol. They were big contractor size bags though, if that helps.

· Registered
120 Posts
I was BAMBOO-zled!
The short bamboo stalks are 8ft.. i think the live bamboo was 12 ft or so..
Just a bored thought, I've seen a few of your pictures posted. The ladder, these bamboo stalks etc. I think all would work a lot better with the tailgate at 45 degrees, vs all the way up or down. I personally think its the best way to carry anything longer in the santa cruz with such a short bed. Just a thought

· Registered
Santa Cruz 22' SEL AWD w/ Activity Package (Hampton Gray)
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Just a bored thought, I've seen a few of your pictures posted. The ladder, these bamboo stalks etc. I think all would work a lot better with the tailgate at 45 degrees, vs all the way up or down. I personally think its the best way to carry anything longer in the santa cruz with such a short bed. Just a thought
True dat. You’re probably right. Most the time I forget or don’t want to fiddle with adjusting the cables. Haven’t lost a load yet tho. 😄 I think I did the 45 for atleast one load..

· Registered
10 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Snow

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Snow

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

330 gallon fuel cube for bringing heating oil home. I didn't dare fill it all the way up due to weight, I only put 100 gallons in it at a time, which filled it up about even with the side of the bed. The cube is a near-perfect fit for the bed in length and width.

· Registered
Santa Cruz 22' SEL AWD w/ Activity Package (Hampton Gray)
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·

· Registered
492 Posts
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel

I am helping a friend move household goods from a storage unit to his new-to-him and his wife house. He is letting me sleep in their house so I do not pay $120 a night during the 50th class reunion of my seminary graduation at Concordia, St. Louis. The SC moved probably three times what you see in the photo, perhaps more.

· Registered
492 Posts
Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

In St. Louis I helped friends move packed goods from a storage unit to their newly purchased home. The house had some shelving and scraps of lumber left by the previous owner. I agreed to take some of those things with me. The photo is back at my home almost 500 miles away from my friend and ready to unload.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts