Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sharing in case this can help someone else.

My SC started alerting me that I need to schedule a service at 5,500. I assumed it was for the oil change at 6,000 miles, even though all of the information I can gather says the oil changes should be done at 8,000 miles.

At 6,000 miles, I called my dealer to schedule an oil change because the darn thing alerted me at every startup. They seemed very hesitant to let me schedule one because they said Hyundai will only over complimentary oil changes at 8,000 miles. I said, yes I know this. But my car is telling me I need an oil change every time I start my car.

Since I insisted, they went ahead and let me schedule an oil change. They were 2 weeks out for these appointments, which was crazy to me. By the time I went in, I was at 6,500 miles.

The service advisor went through the same thing where he said Hyundai will only cover it if it's at 8,000 miles and they have a leeway of only 1,000 miles more or less. I told him again that my car reminds me at every startup that service is due, and to an OCD guy like me that is very stressful. He said the SCs were programmed wrong coming out of the factory.

I said, well, that's good to know. But it's stressing me out that the car is warning me to get a service. He tried to ask me to come back at 8,000 miles but since it takes 2 weeks to schedule these appointments, I politely asked if he could just try to get the oil changed approved. He said yes, but it took some convincing.

I'm currently waiting on my SC. I'll post here what happens next.

·
Registered
22 SEL Premium AWD Blue Stone
50 Posts

My SC started alerting me that I need to schedule a service at 5,500. I assumed it was for the oil change at 6,000 miles, even though all of the information I can gather says the oil changes should be done at 8,000 miles.

At 6,000 miles, I called my dealer to schedule an oil change because the darn thing alerted me at every startup. They seemed very hesitant to let me schedule one because they said Hyundai will only over complimentary oil changes at 8,000 miles. I said, yes I know this. But my car is telling me I need an oil change every time I start my car.

Since I insisted, they went ahead and let me schedule an oil change. They were 2 weeks out for these appointments, which was crazy to me. By the time I went in, I was at 6,500 miles.

The service advisor went through the same thing where he said Hyundai will only cover it if it's at 8,000 miles and they have a leeway of only 1,000 miles more or less. I told him again that my car reminds me at every startup that service is due, and to an OCD guy like me that is very stressful. He said the SCs were programmed wrong coming out of the factory.

I said, well, that's good to know. But it's stressing me out that the car is warning me to get a service. He tried to ask me to come back at 8,000 miles but since it takes 2 weeks to schedule these appointments, I politely asked if he could just try to get the oil changed approved. He said yes, but it took some convincing.

Mister_Ed, this what I recommend when people ask me about oil changes....... since your SC ( or any other CAR ENGINE ) is NEW, ALWAYS use a FULL SYN motor oil. If you live in an area that gets snow & the temps go below freezing, 0W-20 will help on cold starts to make sure the oil gets moved around easily & protects your engine. If you live in an area that never goes below freezing & the temps are on the upper end, 5W-30 is the best bet. Doing oil / filter changes @ 5k is a very cheap way to guarantee that your engine will run for 200k miles. Engines w/ TURBO's or SUPERCHARGER's create a LOT of HEAT that breaks the oil down. 5W-30 SYN oil protects against the high heat that these engines produce. If you are getting on the turbo of your Santa Cruz a lot, maybe even drop the oil changes down to 2500 miles. On our SC, I did the 1st change at 1000 miles & will do it at 5000 miles & every 5000 miles after that ( depending how much time the turbo has been spooled up ). I change the oil in my 599 HP Supercharged LS3 Corvette every 1000 miles because of the extreme temps the engine throws off. HEAT is the biggest ENEMY of an engine's motor & trans oil. On our new cars I do a baseline oil report from Blackstone Laboratories after 10,000 miles. Then another report at 25K & then at 50k miles to compare. These oil reports will be your guarantee if Hyundai ever comes back to you saying that they won't warranty your engine for some obscure reason. There are lots of companies that test oil, I just chose this one a long time ago & have stayed w/ them. Learning how to change your own oil & filter allows you to "SEE" the oil & look for metal shavings. You can cut an oil filter open to look at the pleats inside to find any contaminants that might be hiding out. Remember to be SAFE w/ floor jacks & jack stands, SAFETY should always be FIRST.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mister_Ed, this what I recommend when people ask me about oil changes....... since your SC ( or any other CAR ENGINE ) is NEW, ALWAYS use a FULL SYN motor oil. If you live in an area that gets snow & the temps go below freezing, 0W-20 will help on cold starts to make sure the oil gets moved around easily & protects your engine. If you live in an area that never goes below freezing & the temps are on the upper end, 5W-30 is the best bet. Doing oil / filter changes @ 5k is a very cheap way to guarantee that your engine will run for 200k miles. Engines w/ TURBO's or SUPERCHARGER's create a LOT of HEAT that breaks the oil down. 5W-30 SYN oil protects against the high heat that these engines produce. If you are getting on the turbo of your Santa Cruz a lot, maybe even drop the oil changes down to 2500 miles. On our SC, I did the 1st change at 1000 miles & will do it at 5000 miles & every 5000 miles after that ( depending how much time the turbo has been spooled up ). I change the oil in my 599 HP Supercharged LS3 Corvette every 1000 miles because of the extreme temps the engine throws off. HEAT is the biggest ENEMY of an engine's motor & trans oil. On our new cars I do a baseline oil report from Blackstone Laboratories after 10,000 miles. Then another report at 25K & then at 50k miles to compare. These oil reports will be your guarantee if Hyundai ever comes back to you saying that they won't warranty your engine for some obscure reason. There are lots of companies that test oil, I just chose this one a long time ago & have stayed w/ them. Learning how to change your own oil & filter allows you to "SEE" the oil & look for metal shavings. You can cut an oil filter open to look at the pleats inside to find any contaminants that might be hiding out. Remember to be SAFE w/ floor jacks & jack stands, SAFETY should always be FIRST.
Thanks my friend. You are obviously way more knowledgeable about cars than me. I live in Florida so the temp is on the high side. I take it you aren't using the complementary Hyundai oil changes with that schedule. I was always taught that oil changes should be at 2,500 to 3,000 miles. I'm not sure why these newer cars say 8,000 miles is their recommendation. I'll look up those oil reports and get more informed on those. Thank you!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took mine in at about 5500k miles. Dealer changed the oil, rotated the tires, told me to come back in 5 thousand miles because AZ is considered “severe service” all under the complimentary program.
They advisor basically told me not to even think about getting the second oil change until 16,000 miles, which seems like a really long time.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL AWD
96 Posts
I usually change the oil in my vehicles but when I got my Sonata I decided to take advantage of the "free" oil changes and let the dealership do it. However I provided my own oil as I wanted full synthetic. When they finished and I went to get my car I asked where the leftover oil was. I gave them a 5qt jug and the Sonata with the 1.6 turbo only took something like 4.76 quarts of oil. The service guy went to check and came back and told me they used the whole jug and that "it was built to handle 5qts." When I got home I checked it and sure enough it was overfilled. I have a oil extractor and pumped out a little bit of oil so it was at the full mark. At that point I told myself never again. At least as long as I'm able to do it myself I will.

As for the weight of the oil, I would suggest you stick to what the owner's manual says. For the naturally aspirated 2.5 it's 0W-20 oil and for the 2.5 turbo it's 0W-30 oil. Both are supposed to be full synthetic. If you use semi-synthetic it says you should use the severe maintenance schedule.

Can you use 5W-30 with the turbo engine? Sure, but 0W-30 is superior and gives you better cold start protection and the same protection when it comes to heat. I just wish more brands made 0W-30. If anything were to ever go wrong with your engine and they discover (a dealer can have oil analyzed just like us) you were using a different weight than what is recommended they could use that to fight your claim. One would hope they wouldn't, but how many people trust the service department at their dealer to do the right thing?

Here is what the owner's manual shows for recommended oil viscosity:
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Document

·
Registered
159 Posts
The longer service interval is due to using full synthetic oils, I believe. I just owned (before the SC) 2 fords (NA engines) for the past 11 years and I used Mobil 1 extended performance (15000 mile
Oil), and changed my oil on those fords every 15000 miles and had zero issues. Both each had 100000 miles on them when I traded. Now, the SC I own has a turbo and I’m using Mobil 1 0W-30 (non-extended performance) and I won’t be doing 15000 mile oil changes on this vehicle, however I think I’ll be comfortable doing 5000-8000 miles between changes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks my friend. You are obviously way more knowledgeable about cars than me. I live in Florida so the temp is on the high side. I take it you aren't using the complementary Hyundai oil changes with that schedule. I was always taught that oil changes should be at 2,500 to 3,000 miles. I'm not sure why these newer cars say 8,000 miles is their recommendation. I'll look up those oil reports and get more informed on those. Thank you!
The 2500 to 3000 mile #'s are from the "OLD DAYS" when all we had was straight DINO oil. A lot of people don't realize that starts & stops, short drives that never allow the engine to obtain a 210° internal temp are WORSE than driving steady at 75 MPH all day long. You need to have the high temps to burn off all of the moisture in the oil pan. 8000 miles is the very MOST I would ever let the oil go in a N A engine. Again, if you have a Turbo or Supercharger the extra heat that is generated by these internals spinning up is what breaks the oils down faster. This includes your brake fluids & power steering fluids. I change ALL of the "OTHER secondary" fluids in every car we own every 24 to 36 months. Try using a digital thermometer after you have driven somewhere for an hour. Check the temp readings on the turbo or supercharger lid along w/ the exhaust manifold. Years ago I got tired of using a wrench or socket & since each car manufacture uses different drain bolts, I bought valve ****s for our 3 cars. Attach a clear plastic tube to the valve, stick it into a spare 5 QT jug & turn the valve open. I have a 5000 LB QuickJack hydraulic lift so it make oil changes & tire rotations very easy to do. I am including pics of the oil pan valves on the Santa Cruz & the Corvette along w/ a pic of the QuickJack system. This system allows you to rotate all 4 tires in about 10 mins. Always question the dealer service reps. I would never ALLOW a dealership to do any work, even an oil change. Only time they have touched any of our cars was for a warranty repair or recall work.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Liquid Fluid Automotive lighting Tableware Drinkware

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
50 Posts
Took mine in at about 5500k miles. Dealer changed the oil, rotated the tires, told me to come back in 5 thousand miles because AZ is considered “severe service” all under the complimentary program.
GREAT driving around in 95°, 100° or 110° weather isn't it? We live here in the "DRY HEAT" area also. I found that the 0w-20 that Honda recommended for our 2014 CRV just didn't cut it. All kinds of tappet & chain noise when we got closer to 5000 miles on the oil change. I could tell by the sound of the engine when starting it up how bad the oil had broken down in the summer months. I switched to 5w-30 & all of the noise stopped. 2 MORE months of the Monsoons & HEAT..........

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited
258 Posts
I had my first maintenance today @ 6587 miles. Local dealer, Kendall Hyundai, not the one I bought it from welcomed me and had no comments about the mileage, no upsell, just a warm welcome and refreshments in the lobby. After the maintenance was done, the final sheet said they use 5qts of synthetic blend which aligns with others have said.

·
Banned
203 Posts
I had my first maintenance today @ 6587 miles. Local dealer, Kendall Hyundai, not the one I bought it from welcomed me and had no comments about the mileage, no upsell, just a warm welcome and refreshments in the lobby. After the maintenance was done, the final sheet said they use 5qts of synthetic blend which aligns with others have said.
The oil change interval is 3500 mi on semi syn,so if you want a warranty on your engine,either change it then or use full syn and change every 8k.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
With blended synthetic, follow sever condition change interval- owners manual states 5000miles or 6months, which ever is first.
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel
Font Screenshot Number Document

·
Banned
203 Posts
With blended synthetic, follow sever condition change interval- owners manual states 5000miles or 6months, which ever is first.
View attachment 12600 View attachment 12601
Thanks for correcting the interval. Must have saw 3500 somewhere else. At least we are posting about it because,judging by posts ive read,i dont think everybody knows about the interval change with semi syn.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Thanks for correcting the interval. Must have saw 3500 somewhere else. At least we are posting about it because,judging by posts ive read,i dont think everybody knows about the interval change with semi syn.
Yep, when I complained about them using syn blend which contradicted the manual the service advisor told me to come back in 5000 miles but only after I was a pain to them. When I go back I will try to get them to use full synthetic if I can pay an upcharge for it. I wouldn't use the dealer at all but I don't want to have any issues should I have a problem that needs to be covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2022 Sage Limited
575 Posts
5 quarts in the 2.5T will put you at least a quart low.

6.12 is what I read in the manual. 6 quarts is very close to the middle of the dipstick.

From page 5 of 7.........
"2) Fill new engine oil through the oil inlet.
Before filling engine oil, remove the oil level gauge.
Total: 6.7L (1.76U.S.gal., 7.07U.S.qt., 5.89lmp.qt.)
Oil pan: 5.5L (1.45U.S.gal., 5.81U.S.qt., 4.83lmp.qt.)
Oil change (Including oil filter): 5.8L (1.53U.S.gal., 6.12U.S.qt., 5.10lmp.qt."

SF 2021 2.5T Oil change.pdf (menlosecurity.com)

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,115 Posts
I've got a plan..... My first was at 2000 miles(Valoline quicky)... on my dime, 2nd 5780 miles my dime(Dealership) the next one at 8000 with be on their dime :)
My plan starts at:
8000mi. on Hyundai
12,000 mi on my dime but I will scout out a deal $25-35.00ish
16,000 on Hyundai
20,000 on my dime....
on and on
until I'm done with Hyundai's Freebie
and then it's synthetic every 6000 miles.

This might seem excessive but my plan is this will be my last big purchase before retirement...and that is 5-10 years away depending on health so I wan this to last :)

·
Registered
45 Posts

Odd.... i took mine in at 3000 and the service guy didn't say anything about the mileage i was done in about an hour, No problem getting the oil changed, Maybe its the dealer that is the problem
not sure why they would care when you changed the oil, if you have more than one dealership i would go to the other one, i have 5 in my area so if one pisses me off i can go to others near me

1 - 20 of 134 Posts