Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this video that shares some interesting thoughts about the Santa Cruz. I like his comparison with the upcoming Ford Maverick and how he thinks the Santa Cruz should push Chrysler/Stellantis to create a small truck of their own.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stellantis technically already does make a micro-ute, although even smaller than the Santa Cruz and lower market called the Ram 700, and then a slightly bigger Ram 1000 again unibody mini-bed truck. They are also offering a midsize true pickup soon called the Ram Dakota, so they have all their bases covered.

Ford Maverick I think is going to appeal to those that want a more offroad traditionalist image than the Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stellantis technically already does make a micro-ute, although even smaller than the Santa Cruz and lower market called the Ram 700, and then a slightly bigger Ram 1000 again unibody mini-bed truck. They are also offering a midsize true pickup soon called the Ram Dakota, so they have all their bases covered.

Ford Maverick I think is going to appeal to those that want a more offroad traditionalist image than the Santa Cruz.
I didn't realize Ram made that kind of a truck. Well I guess the question is will the ever bring something like that to the US along with the Dakota? If the Dakota is the mid-size truck this could be their compact one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm thinking the Santa Cruz is probably the smallest truck Americans will buy, plus murica has a much higher standard for acceptable acceleration, and the truly tiny Ram 700 makes like 85hp with the base engine or if you're feeling really wild a upgraded 110hp monster turbocharged option, lol! This is in a market where you can buy a 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Mammoth with 1000hp, because apparently 700hp for the regular TRX just wasn't enough for some red blooded Americans.

The pickup market in north america seems to cater to the most traditionalist consumers out there, so I think that's why Hyundai is repeating a lot that the Santa Cruz is not a pickup as I think they know most pickup shoppers wouldn't even consider it, whereas crossover shoppers like me that were looking at a Tucson will think "oooh, cool, that bed and extra tow capacity could be practical"!

·
Registered
2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T
1 Posts
I'm thinking the Santa Cruz is probably the smallest truck Americans will buy, plus murica has a much higher standard for acceptable acceleration, and the truly tiny Ram 700 makes like 85hp with the base engine or if you're feeling really wild a upgraded 110hp monster turbocharged option, lol! This is in a market where you can buy a 2021 Ram 1500 TRX Mammoth with 1000hp, because apparently 700hp for the regular TRX just wasn't enough for some red blooded Americans.

The pickup market in north america seems to cater to the most traditionalist consumers out there, so I think that's why Hyundai is repeating a lot that the Santa Cruz is not a pickup as I think they know most pickup shoppers wouldn't even consider it, whereas crossover shoppers like me that were looking at a Tucson will think "oooh, cool, that bed and extra tow capacity could be practical"!
Exactly my thoughts as well. I've had full and midsized trucks but currently drive a 2013 Santa Fe Sport. It scoots with the 264hp turbo, looks good inside and out, and has been trouble free. But I do need a bed, from time to time, to haul stuff. So instead of the 2021 Ridgeline, which imho has a dated info/entertainment interface and a rather uninspiring interior, I'm really leaning towards the Santa Cruz. I really wanted to buy this year, but with the possible slow rollout and the ensuing hype of the long awaited SAV, I might sit out this year. My 2013 runs great and has relatively low miles so the need isn't pressing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So instead of the 2021 Ridgeline, which imho has a dated info/entertainment interface and a rather uninspiring interior, I'm really leaning towards the Santa Cruz.
And no center armrest... not sure what they were thinking. Looking near me, pricing wise, I see before haggling they are asking $2k below MSRP. So for $36K you're getting a rather dated interior, bla exterior, on a base no-frills trim but what should be a reliable and overall well thought out in practicality design, and it does have some advantages like its bed "trunk" is much roomier and because of its unique tailgate easier to reach. Still, I can see why the F150, Silverado, and Ram all massively outsell the Ridgeline. Ridgeline sold 32,168 units in 2020 vs say 787,422 F-series, 586,675 Silverados, and 563,676 Rams.

I think bigger competition for the Santa Cruz is going to be popular adventure lifestyle vehicles like the Outback, even if its conceptually alien compared to the Ridgeline. We'll have to see how well this comment ages down the road, if it really is attracting a different segment shopper.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is chicken tax
Light trucks built outside the US and imported are taxed at a whopping 25% in retaliation to an old "chicken tax". A $20K vehicle would become a $25K vehicle just based on taxes alone, along with the cost of actually loading and unloading the vehicles onto cargo ships and sending them out and getting them crash tested and certified for US emissions etc. Makes it expensive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the new SC, and I actually own a 2017 Ridgeline. I think the target market for the SC will be young buyers w/o children or very little ones. They will do their normal overlanding thing in the SC. It is difficult to judge the second row legroom in the SC. I am hoping Hyundai does well with the Santa Cruz.

All discounts have ceased on the Ridgeline due to the chip shortage and lack of inventory. The same will occur with the SC this summer. Tough time to buy, but great time to sell.

I am not enamored with any of the SC colors. Too bland and neutral.

·
Registered
76 Posts
young buyers w/o children or very little ones.
Define young... lol! Average US life expectancy is 78, so I divide that into thirds, so "young" is under 26, "middle-aged" is 26-52, and "old" is 52+. If so, most in their teens and twenties in the major cities aren't even buying cars anymore from what I'm reading, and when they do, its usually older vehicles due to escalating car prices compared to wages. According to JD Powers, the average Tucson (on which the SC is based) purchaser is 58 years old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Young people 25-35 make plenty of money these days. Not everyone works at McDonalds. I would not classify 26 as middle-aged by any means. Wow, that is an old crowd for the Tucson. Even the higher priced Ridgeline attracts younger buyers than that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I am over 40 years old and the Santa Cruz is different, when I was a child my father had a ponny pick up and now I have seen the ram 700 on Mexico, I think it is a new era and now everything is compact

·
Registered
76 Posts
Young people 25-35 make plenty of money these days. Not everyone works at McDonalds.
May depend on how much of your disposable income you put toward transportation. Most people follow the 30% of salary rule, so if the average person is making $60K, that would allow them to purchase a $18K car comfortably which often predicates going used if you want a larger upmarket vehicle, and since average new vehicles are ~$35K+ after TTL/fees, you really need to have a triple digit income or make sacrifices in other expenses like housing, food, vacation traveling, savings, investments, etc. Of course there are recent graduates with no portfolio or savings that will just figure out the maximum they can afford in monthly payments for a new Camaro SS so the 30% rule certainly isn't set in stone for all, heh!

We tend to splurge a bit, but compensate by really thinking hard about any new purchase and keeping the vehicles a very long time, and right now we have a 2001 and a 2009 that we are finally going to sell and upgrade and keep the replacement 15years or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Older people like CUVs due the easy entry and exit ride height. My 80 year old parents went from a Sonata to an Escape for this very reason. Those aged 25-35 like CUVs for hauling their smaller children plus a dog or kid related stuff in the back. So I could see the SC appealing to both groups as an alternative to your typical CUV like the Tuscon.

The SC is aimed at a younger crowd that leads a more active outdoors lifestyle. However I think it will also appeal to those (like me) that just want a smaller, more nimble, more fuel efficient and driver friendly vehicle that has some truck-like features such as open bed storage and hauling capability. It is certain not for normal truck buyers (Ram, F150, etc) or serious off roaders (Jeep, Bronco). The SC is trying to be a jack of all trades but a master of none... its appears (on paper) to be a good mixed-use vehicle in this regard. City use during the week, but camping on the weekend for example.

·
Registered
2012 Mini Cooper 2007 Honda CR-V 1968 IH Travelall 4X4
37 Posts
Older people like CUVs due the easy entry and exit ride height. My 80 year old parents went from a Sonata to an Escape for this very reason...
This is very true and is one of the reasons at 60+ I'm looking for something that is higher than my current Mini Cooper Daily Driver. In addition, I find myself transporting a 90+ year old parent more and more; so much so that we will be giving up her vehicle completely now that she no longer drives (2007 Honda CR-V).

When I sold my 2006 Honda Element (killer design with a TAILGATE, something all the current smaller SUV's lack these days), it went to an elderly couple looking for a "right height" entry/exit vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Older people like CUVs due the easy entry and exit ride height....
As a certified Old Geezer, I can say that you're right on target with this. I am still driving my vintage Honda Element because I haven't found a suitable replacement. "Suitable" meaning a vehicle that, to enter, "you don't have to climb up into it, nor fall down into it."

Reactions: JMII
1 - 20 of 21 Posts