Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
(n) I only hand wash all my vehicles. I guess a pressure spray where nothing touches it would work if the vehicle was really dirty. But is the water recycled? Treated with chemicals? Unknown so I just avoid them.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
After avoiding car washes with my Matte paint finish Veloster- I’ve enjoyed taking the SC in for a wash…
Doesn’t really matter to me, in the winter, it’s more about washing away the salt build up, especially the undercarriage.
Hand washing really doesn’t fly here in the winter… for the winter, I usually buy the washes in bulk at one time…

·
Registered
382 Posts
(y) I have a car wash membership, and I go through a modern but old-school tunnel-style car wash all the time -- brushes and jets and dryers and all those things, no issues, really. I notice a little spotting on the plastic in the bed, but might just be from not being dried out, otherwise, really a non-event for me!

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
(n) For the traditional spinning brush and flapping things car washes for me.

(y) For the combination of assembly line and hand wash, with auto rinse and no touch dryers.

💪 Driveway hand wash only if I'm in the mood, weather is nice and have a bikini helper! :cool:

Q: Accidentally clicked on "only show this user" when trying to do an edit. What does that do?

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
683 Posts
Absolutely not! Foam cannon, pre-soak, contact wash (if needed), car dryer, & topped a graphene spray detailer to protect and renew the coating.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
408 Posts
My driveway is dirt so handwashing means generating a mud puddle under the truck if I wash at home.
I use a touchless robowash with air dryers. It works well to prevent road grime and mag chloride build up during winter months. If I need just a surface clean, I use the hand wand. I wax the cars at home.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
487 Posts
Yep, I use a $5 tunnel-type car wash regularly. Whirling brushes, slapping shammies, all the good stuff. It's fast and effective, and nothing gets the truck as clean with so little effort.

Some water does get in the bed. But there are zero issues.

I take good care of my truck, but it's not a show car, so I don't obsess over things like this.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
352 Posts
I've sent mine thru three times with whirling brushes and shammies. Two times no problem, one time a small issue. The small issue is the plastic filler in the grove where the roof rack would go got lifted. Just a quick hand pound reseated it.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
Not till next summer, I put those vinyl Letters on the "Santa Cruz" on the tailgate...and it wasn't the hottest day so I'll just wait till next year before I put a full frontal Assault on them

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
487 Posts
Over all, the only type of carwash I would avoid is anything with brushes. Those little micro scratches might not show up right away but over time it will look pretty beat up. Ask my wife's Forester.
Yeah, it kinda comes down to this - it takes some friction to remove dirt and grime, whether it's using brushes or sponges or cloths.

And if people think they're not micro-scratching their paint with their microfiber cloths and soapy water, they're wrong. Anything that pushes dirt particles around is making tiny scratches, and you can't remove those particles without pushing them around. Yes, you might be delaying the visible effects of the scratches, but your paint is softer than the dirt particles, and it's happening.

I like that people are proud of their vehicles and want to keep them pristine. But I can't be out there hand-washing my truck every few days, and I personally would rather run it through the whirly-brush car wash than drive around with dirt and pollution and bird poop and tree sap and bug innards etching my paint.

I guess everything is a trade-off, but you ain't gonna win against Mother Nature no matter how much you baby your paint.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
352 Posts
Yeah, it kinda comes down to this - it takes some friction to remove dirt and grime, whether it's using brushes or sponges or cloths.

And if people think they're not micro-scratching their paint with their microfiber cloths and soapy water, they're wrong. Anything that pushes dirt particles around is making tiny scratches, and you can't remove those particles without pushing them around. Yes, you might be delaying the visible effects of the scratches, but your paint is softer than the dirt particles, and it's happening.

I like that people are proud of their vehicles and want to keep them pristine. But I can't be out there hand-washing my truck every few days, and I personally would rather run it through the whirly-brush car wash than drive around with dirt and pollution and bird poop and tree sap and bug innards etching my paint.

I guess everything is a trade-off, but you ain't gonna win against Mother Nature no matter how much you baby your paint.
Well put. It doesn't really matter, something is going to eventually damage the finish. I recall from previous reading, even touchless car washes damage it. The jet streams of water have enough force that they will cause micro-scratches due to their force.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Correct... but spinning automated brushes are going to do way more damage then my wash mitt when I use the two bucket method or a grit guard. If my vehicle is really dirty I use a pressure washer to blast off the dirt in attempt to keep from dragging the mess all over the paint.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts