Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I saw a similar thread on options for moving the tire jack and tools. I wanted to show the possibility of putting the tire jack underneath the vehicle on top of the spare tire. I will double check from time to time to ensure the spare tire is still snug up under the frame. I opened up the jack and ran the wheel retainer through the middle of it and made sure the retainer was centered and tightened back up the cable + 1/4 turn. I placed the wrench and jack tools underneath the seat. Now, I have full use of under seat storage.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My solution would probably be to remove the spare and jack and put it in my garage, and only install it for long trips out of town. In any major city, I've never needed anything more than my air pump and one of those tiny packs of tar rope and reamer, whatever that stuff is called, where you can make a temporary plug for large holes to limp over to Discount Tire and get a proper patch put in.

Less weight, less space!

·
Registered
Black Limited
308 Posts
My only concern with doing that would be having water get up in there and corrode the jack mechanism, making it either fail or become difficult to operate. I imagine a good coat of grease on the appropriate parts would help alleviate that, though.
That and maybe wrapping in a plastic bag as well. I haven't checked the brunk for water tightness but if you can use it as a cooler it must be close to it.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
487 Posts
I agree about exposing the jack to the elements long term.

I'm leaving mine as is. Moving the jack into the brunk (yech, I hate that word) does free up underseat space, but it then takes up brunk space. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
184 Posts
I have AAA, I would leave the spare with you. Then they can put it on and you go on your merry way. Otherwise you would be at the mercy of wherever they tow you to. The jack I can see storing in the garage…

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a bad idea! On another note, I have been wondering whether or not there may be just enough room for a full sized spare. Going to go underneath mine this weekend and check.
I think there is plenty of room for a full size spare. The cable is plenty long enough and I would think it was rated and manufactured for carrying the weight of a full size spare tire.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
Me too... just peice of mind. Also updated my AAA so if I'm out on two wheels they can come and get me if I'm broke down... and no, not 2 wheels on the SC!
nice, I have the premier/premium tier if I remember correctly, is that what you upgraded to so that they will rescue you if your motorcycle breaks down?

·
Registered
Black Limited
308 Posts
nice, I have the premier/premium tier if I remember correctly, is that what you upgraded to so that they will rescue you if your motorcycle breaks down?
No, I have the mid tier but you can add that 2 wheel pick up as an add on to any level. Mine was 39 bucks over the regular price for the add on

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
244 Posts
I have AAA, should I just remove the donut and the jack all together?
Our Veloster didn’t come with a spare, and in the 9+ years/125k miles, we’ve been able to limp it to a tire shop every time we’ve had a flat, with one exception. We have towing coverage with our auto insurance, so they sent a tow truck. It’s the only time it’s ever been towed.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You could also look into a bottle jack, they are smaller, might even fit in the rear side cubbies. The downside is I'm not a fan of putting so much weight onto such a small base. When you get a flat you can rarely find a nice even surface to jack up the vehicle. Thus carrying a small piece of solid wood (maybe 12" square), along with some wheel chocks/blocks is a good idea.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts