Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide between All Season or more aggressive tire more on the A/T side?
Just not a fan of the Kuhmo tires

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
Well, that depends what you're doing with it. Are you going to be doing a lot of off-roading, where functional all-terrains make a difference, or do you just want them for looks to it can appear more "trucky"? If you're a primarily highway/street driver who never sees dirt, the A/T tires would just be for looks and lowering your fuel economy. You'd be better served by highway tires, even if they don't look as aggressive. If you do a lot of off-pavement driving (bush roads, mild trails, etc) a good set of grippy all-terrains would be very useful.

So, the question you need to ask yourself is how do you use the vehicle and what tire suits that the best - or do you only really care about how they look vs. how they perform?

For me, I'm mainly a highway driver. So when it's time to replace my all-seasons, I'll be looking for something that's good on pavement - but will try to find something with a decent tread for some dirt road driving too. Some little lakes I want to spend more time at are a ways off the beaten path down some crappy bush roads. I'll fight that battle when the factory Michelins wear out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For me I'll want the newer All Weather tires that are designed to be better allaround tires than All Seasons. Specifically the Michelin CrossClimate 2. They look cool like futuristic race tires but handle snow and ice much better than any All Season tire. I don't know how well they would do off road but I would imagine as well as any all season tire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that depends what you're doing with it. Are you going to be doing a lot of off-roading, where functional all-terrains make a difference, or do you just want them for looks to it can appear more "trucky"? If you're a primarily highway/street driver who never sees dirt, the A/T tires would just be for looks and lowering your fuel economy. You'd be better served by highway tires, even if they don't look as aggressive. If you do a lot of off-pavement driving (bush roads, mild trails, etc) a good set of grippy all-terrains would be very useful.

So, the question you need to ask yourself is how do you use the vehicle and what tire suits that the best - or do you only really care about how they look vs. how they perform?

For me, I'm mainly a highway driver. So when it's time to replace my all-seasons, I'll be looking for something that's good on pavement - but will try to find something with a decent tread for some dirt road driving too. Some little lakes I want to spend more time at are a ways off the beaten path down some crappy bush roads. I'll fight that battle when the factory Michelins wear out.
I didn't get Michelin with mine!...I got Crugen HP71
They look nice but aren't the highest rated tire.
I'm mainly highway and some gravel. I'm fearful of road noise so I'm looking for something in between I guess.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't get Michelin with mine!...I got Crugen HP71
They look nice but aren't the highest rated tire.
I'm mainly highway and some gravel. I'm fearful of road noise so I'm looking for something in between I guess.
The Michelins come on the 20" rims. I hear ya about the road noise. It is one of my major pet peeves. Which is why I'll be glad to get rid of the Mustang. That is one of the draw backs of AT tires although some are better than others. I know I replaced the tires on my Mustang for that very reason and so I researched at Tire Rack and bought some Pirelli tires but I now know that the reviews on Tire Rack are too subjective. While they were a little quieter than the Good Years they replaced not by much. Then a couple of weeks later my Consumer Guide showed up and they had just done a performance test on my tire and 2 others. The Pirelli was the nosiest of the 3 and the quietest and best performer was the Michelin which I had almost gotten but they were more expensive. Deep Sigh.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
For that kind of driving you don't really need an aggressive A/T tire - but if you really like the look of them, nothing wrong with that either. One of the big advantages of the times we live in vs. 20 or 30 years ago is there is SO MUCH info out there on the internet. Do a little online digging, look up some videos on YouTube. There are videos on just about any tire you can find in a store, usually comparing them to similar tires. You'll find what you're looking for. :)

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
680 Posts
I'm curious why you'd want to have all season on your 20" if you already plan on getting dedicated winter tires on 18".
You can probably find summer tires for the 20" that'd make your SC drive like a dream, like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It came with all seasons from the factory. They're fine for summer driving and I'll run them until they're worn. When that time comes, I'll decide if I want to keep 20s on it or get another set of aftermarket 18s for the all-seasons. We can't really run "summer" tires around here - because you never know when you'll get a freak snow in June ... or August ... and you have to be ready for that. After spending many years with dedicated winter tires, I'd never go back to "all season" tires year round again. I've done it. It isn't worth the risk. They're fine in a pinch, like a freak snow storm out of season, but they really do suck in winter driving. Acceleration/steering/braking all suffer horrifically.

Reactions: Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
For winter tires (Canada, eh?), using the 18” factory wheels (I’ll get dedicated rims next fall), Costco has the Michelin X-Ice Snow in the proper size (245 /60 / R18), but they are 105T instead of the factory 105H that are on the vehicle.

I read that the H and T refer to max speed and the T are a step down. I won’t ever push the speed anyway and the max is way faster than I would ever drive, but one article I read says it may affect performance.

Would I be making a mistake to get the (very good) Michelin X-Ice Snow winter tires as they come, in 105T?

Thanks! (I admit I have no knowledge of such things.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm curious why you'd want to have all season on your 20" if you already plan on getting dedicated winter tires on 18".
You can probably find summer tires for the 20" that'd make your SC drive like a dream, like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV
The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 is truly the best of both Worlds. I have that tire on my Mazda 6, and it is an incredible tire.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
Snow tires were commonly rated for lower speeds than all-season tires. Due to their construction and materials. I think they have gotten better over the years. The T speed rating should be plenty for the SC. I haven't had it that fast yet, but don't think it would be too comfortable at those speeds anyway. lol

T = 118mph/190kph
H = 130mph/210kph.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 is truly the best of both Worlds. I have that tire on my Mazda 6, and it is an incredible tire.
Depends how far south you live. If I remember right, SkyCruz is in Edmonton, even further north than I am (above Minnesota). ANY all-season tire, no matter how good, is no replacement for proper snow tires. They just flat out scientifically proven ARE NOT.

As far as the H/T ratings, snow tires are always going to affect performance vs. an all-season. Softer compounds, tread differences, they all play a factor. I've never lost a minute of sleep over it. As long as they're good for brief (passing lane) spurts of up to 140km/h ... which, let's face it, they are ... I don't need anything made for sustained speeds of instant license revocation and vehicle impoundment.

Unless you're literally track driving it, they're just fine. The X-Ice is a fantastic tire.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yeah, close enough there, eh?

I'm getting the Goodyear WinterCommand Ultras for my Ultimate. I've never tried Goodyear winters before, so we'll see what I think. They seem to compare pretty well to the X-Ice and play in that top-tier category of studless winter tires. I'm not a fan of studded tires, even though some people like them. I've seen people slide into other vehicles on ice with studded tires too ... probably due to a false sense of security, thinking the studs make it just like driving on dry pavement. They do not.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm looking for a replacement for the factory 18" Kumos. I'm not going to do any off-roading, and I live in Virginia, so I'm looking for an all-season tire, but with an aggressive-looking sidewall to give the SC a little more rugged look. I'll consider an All-terrain as long it has good road manners. I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Ram 1500 and loved them, as they were a great balance of ride and aggressive look. However, they don't make the tires in 265/60 R18. I've seen others talk about the Falken WildPeak, Toyo Open Country, and the Continental TerrainContact. Any suggestions on what seems to be working for SC owners that have any of these tires?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wanted to hate the Kumhos and was prepared to replace them immediately, but as I posted elsewhere Lifted, Lowered Or Stock? they were surprisingly capable during some light off-roading. They have great on-road manners and are WHISPER quiet on my SC! Decent wear rating at 540, so I'll just keep 'em. (I have dedicated winter tires going on for the white stuff here in NE Pennsylvania)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking for a replacement for the factory 18" Kumos. I'm not going to do any off-roading, and I live in Virginia, so I'm looking for an all-season tire, but with an aggressive-looking sidewall to give the SC a little more rugged look. I'll consider an All-terrain as long it has good road manners. I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Ram 1500 and loved them, as they were a great balance of ride and aggressive look. However, they don't make the tires in 265/60 R18. I've seen others talk about the Falken WildPeak, Toyo Open Country, and the Continental TerrainContact. Any suggestions on what seems to be working for SC owners that have any of these tires?
I use the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail. Have never had any issues with them. I run them on my Outback and have driven through Blizzards without much concern.
With the SC, I may get snow tires depending on how the trail goes but it’s a wait and see.
Theyre quiet, haven’t really impacted fuel economy, and look good. They have good dry and wet grip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts