Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got our SC yesterday. I haven't had time to read the massive manual yet.

Is Hyundai recommending a break in oil change? If so, mileage, 500? 1000?

If they aren't, what are my fellow SC fans going to do, do a break in oil change or not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
I have yet to see any car manufacturer recommend break-in oil change at all ever since I started owning vehicles (2000s and later), the engineers must feel the modern engines and the oil are robust enough
and Hyundai do not recommend break-in oil change
Mobile 1 engineers recommend changing the break-in oil, and of course, that helps their business

I enjoy watching oil flow and the smell of soot in the oil, so I changed mine at 500 miles and sadly there's no smell of soot

·
Registered
374 Posts
Does the SC use Full Synthetic from the Factory?

Hyundai is providing free oil changes and tire rotations for the first 3 years / 36K miles. What are the service intervals for the free services?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hyundai is providing free oil changes and tire rotations for the first 3 years / 36K miles. What are the service intervals for the free services?
I was told that they were plus or minus 1000 miles from the 7,500, so to maximize the number of free ones, go get them at 6,500 miles.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Does the SC use Full Synthetic from the Factory?...
I recall hearing somewhere (probably web wisdom) that dino oil should be used for the break-in period, because synthetic is too slick for the proper final polishing of the wear-points to occur.

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
60 Posts
in the past ( before synthetics and catalytic converters) zinc was a good addition to help promote "break in"...Amalie and Kendall were two of the brands that I used most often for initial engine run up and and run in...you can also buy zinc additive to add to your synthetic oil....do a search on zinc additive to learn more and make your own decision....hth

·
Registered
115 Posts

Do they always offer the free services or will that go away since they don't really need to incentivize people to purchase that this time? I don't recall if any other cars I had was offered those free services with purchase but I love Fields here in Central Florida, they offer free car washes for the lifetime of the car and each of their locations has different food freebies you can get (bbq on the weekend, icecream, etc...). Wish more dealerships had that, would bring people back into their place more!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't think any manufacturers are recommending them, however, we usually do one around 1500 miles as an excuse to put in a magnetic drain plug if available (granted they aren't exactly going to pick up aluminum shavings, but can't hurt).

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
I don't think any manufacturers are recommending them, however, we usually do one around 1500 miles as an excuse to put in a magnetic drain plug if available (granted they aren't exactly going to pick up aluminum shavings, but can't hurt).
even if the engine block is aluminum, there are plenty of other steel/iron components that will end up shedding particles and the magnetic plug can catch too

·
Registered
82 Posts
even if the engine block is aluminum, there are plenty of other steel/iron components that will end up shedding particles and the magnetic plug can catch too
My dealership told me they would do the first free oil change at 1500 miles then every 6 months or 5000 miles for a total of 6 free oil changes. This differs from what I’ve read elsewhere but I’m certainly not complaining.

·
Registered
Black Limited
329 Posts
Here's what I got out of my drain pan from my Limited at 750 miles. Let the oil set in the drain pan for a few days to see what fell out of suspension. Checkout what the filter didn't catch...

Liquid Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Dishware

Added this magnetic drain plug too... pretty cheap insurance for an expensive investment.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,099 Posts
I was told 7500 miles for dealer... But since we/me(city) are consider severe do it at 3750 but the Dealer will still only do it at 7500 intervals .. I'm planning on 1500mi or less for the first change.. I'm unsure of putting in the magnetic plug I have ..because not sure the dealer would approve/ might void warranty??? Not taking a chance I'll wait till after the Freebie oil changes or I'll ask at my first Dealer oil change

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
They don't recommend it but I do.

Case in point: GM had a problem with early Z06 C7s - Corvette Z06 Owners: Change Your Oil After First 500 Miles and the fix was a 500 mile change. To me it just makes sense, its called "break in" for a reason, the engine deals with lots of wear in those first few heat cycles. Granted modern engines and assemble processes use precision milling equipment with very tight tolerances but metal is still going to be removed and has to go somewhere. Getting rid of that contaminated oil and nasty filter is a smart move. Oil changes are cheap and easy so I think its good insurance. Now many people don't bother and zero issues with engines that run for decades... but why risk it?

Per the manual - oil changes are:
Normal schedule = 12 months or 8,000 miles
Severe schedule = 6 months or 5,000 miles

The above is required to maintain your warranty. Hyundai offers 3 years / 36,000 miles of free maintenance using the normal schedule. Your dealer might offer or recommend something different but this is likely a sales tactic to get you in the door for more service that isn't required or covered. Remember dealerships make most of their money from three places: the service bay, used cars and financing.

Reactions: CASD

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
772 Posts
My dealership told me they would do the first free oil change at 1500 miles then every 6 months or 5000 miles for a total of 6 free oil changes. This differs from what I’ve read elsewhere but I’m certainly not complaining.
doing the first oil change at 1500 miles is better than doing it at 5k so I'd say for go it, I actually plan on doing every 5k change on my 3rd oil change and beyond

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,816 Posts
I just did my first oil change at 2,614 miles today. It was a piece of cake. The next 3 will be on Hyundai, with the next one at 7,500 miles or one year from today.

·
Registered
2022, Premium, Turbo
12 Posts
I don't understand why they are not following what the owners manual says. I just bought one and they are saying to come every 3500 and they will only pay for every other one... They are saying that's a severe schedule because we have snow in the winter. I drive highway miles and have off when it snows. Shouldn't the oil be changed around 8k with synthetic??

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
514 Posts
My dealer never told me back in November to have a break-in oil change at a specific mileage. About three weeks ago, the service reminder popped up over the tach saying to get service in 30 days. This would be exactly three months after purchase. I called a closer dealer and they said it would be for an oil change. I'm scheduled for next Monday for my initial oil change. My mileage by then will be about 2400 miles.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I don't understand why they are not following what the owners manual says. I just bought one and they are saying to come every 3500 and they will only pay for every other one... They are saying that's a severe schedule because we have snow in the winter. I drive highway miles and have off when it snows. Shouldn't the oil be changed around 8k with synthetic??
Snow is only one of several factors. Below from manual

Font Number Document Screenshot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.