Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got our SC yesterday. I haven't had time to read the massive manual yet.

Is Hyundai recommending a break in oil change? If so, mileage, 500? 1000?

If they aren't, what are my fellow SC fans going to do, do a break in oil change or not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I bought my Fiat 500 Pop new back in 2014, the dealership just told me to wait til the car told me to get an oil change. That not a thing in cars these days?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
I have yet to see any car manufacturer recommend break-in oil change at all ever since I started owning vehicles (2000s and later), the engineers must feel the modern engines and the oil are robust enough
and Hyundai do not recommend break-in oil change
Mobile 1 engineers recommend changing the break-in oil, and of course, that helps their business

I enjoy watching oil flow and the smell of soot in the oil, so I changed mine at 500 miles and sadly there's no smell of soot

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does the SC use Full Synthetic from the Factory?

Hyundai is providing free oil changes and tire rotations for the first 3 years / 36K miles. What are the service intervals for the free services?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hyundai is providing free oil changes and tire rotations for the first 3 years / 36K miles. What are the service intervals for the free services?
I was told that they were plus or minus 1000 miles from the 7,500, so to maximize the number of free ones, go get them at 6,500 miles.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Does the SC use Full Synthetic from the Factory?...
I recall hearing somewhere (probably web wisdom) that dino oil should be used for the break-in period, because synthetic is too slick for the proper final polishing of the wear-points to occur.

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
56 Posts
in the past ( before synthetics and catalytic converters) zinc was a good addition to help promote "break in"...Amalie and Kendall were two of the brands that I used most often for initial engine run up and and run in...you can also buy zinc additive to add to your synthetic oil....do a search on zinc additive to learn more and make your own decision....hth

·
Registered
54 Posts

Do they always offer the free services or will that go away since they don't really need to incentivize people to purchase that this time? I don't recall if any other cars I had was offered those free services with purchase but I love Fields here in Central Florida, they offer free car washes for the lifetime of the car and each of their locations has different food freebies you can get (bbq on the weekend, icecream, etc...). Wish more dealerships had that, would bring people back into their place more!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't think any manufacturers are recommending them, however, we usually do one around 1500 miles as an excuse to put in a magnetic drain plug if available (granted they aren't exactly going to pick up aluminum shavings, but can't hurt).

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
I don't think any manufacturers are recommending them, however, we usually do one around 1500 miles as an excuse to put in a magnetic drain plug if available (granted they aren't exactly going to pick up aluminum shavings, but can't hurt).
even if the engine block is aluminum, there are plenty of other steel/iron components that will end up shedding particles and the magnetic plug can catch too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts