Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there such thing as “break in“ oil. The service department from my dealer just advised that they put in “break in” oil that is formulated for the first six thousand break in miles. Sounds like BS to me (I’m from the 1K break in school, but I am admittedly “old school”). What say you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did a DIY oil change at 2000 miles this weekend. Here are a couple of pictures of what the oil filter caught and "sludge" in the bottom of the oil filter canister. Oil was definitely darker than just out of the jug but still translucent. Glad I did it.

I did put in the magnetic drain plug mentioned above. The magnet is super strong: When I went to insert it, it sucked right onto the drain pan. BTW, the OEM filter kit comes with new crush washer for the plug. I had bought several when I ordered the magnetic plug but didn't need to. Might be handy if I move away from the OEM filters.

If you are use to changing your own oil, tools you might not normally have on hand but need are: 8MM hex key for the small plug in the bottom of the filter canister and a 27MM socket for the canister itself. I bought this socket and it worked well:

Good luck! I probably spent an hour as it was the first time. More like a 20 min job once you are familiar. Gave me a chance to get familiar with what is under there!

Dishware Tableware Basket Serveware Gas

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Black Limited
339 Posts
I posted this last year but worth another look here, I think. If you don't feel a early oil change is worth it or has much effect (especially if you plan on keeping your ride) then take a peek and see what I got out of my oil. These are particles that the filter could not and did not catch. This was left in the bottom of the oil drain pan after my first oil change at 750 miles!

Liquid Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Dishware

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,180 Posts
I did mine at 2000 and then at 5000(Dealer) my next Dealer freebie change is at 13,000 but I'm planning on doing it in between their 8,000-mile change So I'll be doing it at 9,000 +/- So basically every 4,000 miles I'll be changing mine
After looking at Innate's I wish I had started sooner :)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
There are instructions for a break-in period in the manual. If they are defining a break in period, I'm going to break in my engine and change the oil right after that.
This is my theory as well. Oil changes are cheap especially if you DIY so you might as well get that first one done sooner rather then later.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts