Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my SC Limited and love it with one exception; the Tonneau cover leaks, so every time it rains this means I have to go dry out my SC by removing the bed liner so water does not accumulate underneath it and wipe both the truck body and the bed liner. If you look on the NHSTA.gov website you will see complaints of rusted screws on the cover and there is a Mfg bulletin on it. We noticed the leak seems to be where the cover meets the back window and if you pour water there it runs down to the driver side left corner. Has anyone come up with a solution to this. BTW I asked my salesperson and he said it was water tight.......surprise. Could use some guidance!
Thanks so much. :giggle:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just got my SC Limited and love it with one exception; the Tonneau cover leaks, so every time it rains this means I have to go dry out my SC by removing the bed liner so water does not accumulate underneath it and wipe both the truck body and the bed liner. If you look on the NHSTA.gov website you will see complaints of rusted screws on the cover and there is a Mfg bulletin on it. We noticed the leak seems to be where the cover meets the back window and if you pour water there it runs down to the driver side left corner. Has anyone come up with a solution to this. BTW I asked my salesperson and he said it was water tight.......surprise. Could use some guidance!
Sadly no cover is water tight, that salesman lied to get a sale.

Best bet is to track down the source, which it sounds like you did, and try to build in a system that moves the water from that spot to another.

In the manual you will see it states that the cover is not waterproof, which essentially protects the dealers for having to deal with these type of problems. :cautious:

But maybe someone here has rigged up something that may help. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Sadly no cover is water tight, that salesman lied to get a sale.

In the manual you will see it states that the cover is not waterproof, which essentially protects the dealers for having to deal with these type of problems. :cautious:
The above is correct.

The water shouldn't harm anything back there since its all plastic. The brunk storage bin is sealed so if you want something to stay dry then it has to fit in there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So far so good on mine. Only leaks I get are when I leave my windows open. Thats because I can't find a full set of window rain guards the S.A.V.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Olive Drab, 2017 VFR1200X
174 Posts
Since I don't have mine yet I can't put eyes on anything, but is there a way to silicone the gap between cover and where the leak is?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Since I don't have mine yet I can't put eyes on anything, but is there a way to silicone the gap between cover and where the leak is?
Since the cover is made of metal slats and rolls up gaps are impossible to avoid. Its the nature of the design which is why its not waterproof. I had a Roll-N-Lock which is a similar design and the leaks where minor. If you want truly waterproof there are other solutions on the market.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Couple other threads on this same topic. People have found that they were either not closing the cover or the tailgate completely. I always pull the cover all the way closed then push it towards the cab just to make sure it's seated correctly. Also close the gate pretty hard. I've had no issues except a very little moisture even in hurricanes with 6+ inches of rain

·
Registered
1 Posts
My cover also leaks with every rain, front and rear, but mainly by the tailgate. Very irritating. I must put luggage in rear seat. I may sell my SC. Unhappy.

·
Registered
2022 Limited White
12 Posts
There are some design flaws in the factory tonneau, its kind of a disappointing design imo. You can get an aftermarket that does not leak. I ditched the factory cover and bought aftermarket, Access Lorado. You get more bed space back and a dry bed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
By the way….you may already know this…but some leakage of water in the bed is not really a Hyundai caused/designed issue, because the manufacturer, Mountain Top, makes tonneau covers for other pickup makes as well…and below is a page from the owners manual for a tonneau cover they make that will fit Fords. It says some water ingress may occur. I think all of their products have this same design. It’s not perfect, but it works pretty well….IMO.
Line Font Parallel Rectangle Slope

·
Registered
2022 Limited White
12 Posts
Yup, Im aware that they pre-disclose that their cover will leak and that its not really a hyundai design, yes. But nonetheless you can get better performance from an aftermarket solution, if you're interested in better performance. Not everybody is. I wish we had the option to opt out of the factory installed cover on all the trim packages, but as we don't I'm just working to improve upon a sub par situation. The cover that ships with it has the look of physical security so if you are storing valuables in your bed (which are insensitive to water) you might want that. It wont deter a determined thief but its something. However just having any cover at all, which obscures that you have something in the bed, will also have an impact on deterring theft. A solid vinyl roll up or a tri fold is a better water solution than the hinged plates design, particularly this implementation of the hinged plates.

·
Registered
555 Posts
There are some design flaws in the factory tonneau, its kind of a disappointing design imo. You can get an aftermarket that does not leak. I ditched the factory cover and bought aftermarket, Access Lorado. You get more bed space back and a dry bed.
Have to say mine almost never leaks - said at the beginning of this thread that last summer we had I've 6 inches of rain during a hurricane and the bed was maybe damp right by the tailgate. I'm pretty sure most of the issues are the cover not being closed completely

·
Registered
2022 Limited White
12 Posts
Have to say mine almost never leaks - said at the beginning of this thread that last summer we had I've 6 inches of rain during a hurricane and the bed was maybe damp right by the tailgate. I'm pretty sure most of the issues are the cover not being closed completely
nope. I wanted mine to work badly. I studied very closely where it was leaking by selectively applying water to it with a garden hose and tracing it. I spent more time studying this than I'd like to admit :)

I found a few sources of leaks, some of which i could have improved upon but others i couldn't. On mine, from the factory, there was no way the rear seal would touch the tailgate and firmly seal up. No amount of closing would get you there. I assume i could have disassembled and reassembled it and got that length setup properly and i was prepared to do that.

There were also two spots up at the front that leaked aggressively. These were the biggest source of water as the flow was high enough to drip onto the wheel wells and splash everywhere in the bed. At the front of the roll up cartridge assembly there are two areas that make contact with the front mounting L-beam and that have a little rubberized coating on them to act as a seal. Well, seal they did not. The design was such that water could bypass that seal, and arguably I could have shot some silicone up into the gaps to seal it up.

There were also leaks along the side which i felt were fairly minor but over time did accumulate a fair bit of water.

But there was another critical design element that i couldnt do anything about. The way these things are supposed to work, they rely on the fact that for a viscous fluid like water it takes a certain amount of pressure to push water to through a given sized orifice. If you make a small enough gap, it takes a certain amount of pressure to push water through it. So what they do is they design the hinge joints to be very tight, and literally its the viscosity of the water that is stopping it from pouring in and that fact that unless you are in a biblical flood there will be virtually no head pressure of water driving a leak on top of the cover. The trouble with that is 1) it relies on the manufacturing to be really tight (which is entirely possible but not easy), 2) it relies on those hinges remaining unchanged over time (which might be a problem since they advertise that people can carry weight on top of it, encouraging people to flex those hinges and loosen them), and 3) the forward most hinge on mine was not actually flat. When the cover was fully closed, the forward most hinge was actually at a very slight angle, it wasnt flush to the rest of the cover. It tilted in to go and coil up on the roll mechanism, and it did it a little too soon (would have been a better design to not do that until under the protection of the drum). With the forward most hinge not being flat it leaves a wider gap open at the top of the seal, and that one flap leaked more than the others. They all dripped a little bit under heavy rain, but the forward most one was considerably worse on mine. I tried adding a clear wax layer to the cover, because making a hydrophobic barrier at that slat would slow the water ingress. It helped but could not eliminate the leaks.

I took my cover off intending to try to fix these issues. When i had the cover off I realized how much bigger the bed seemed. You are losing 25% of an already very short bed to this drum assembly at the front of the factory cover. Again, not an issue for everyone but I'd rather have a non leaking cover and my bed space back, so I went with an aftermarket. I'm pretty happy with it now, no leaks in torrential rain.

Edit: i will add that one thing was sacrified along the way: the new cover overlaps the tailgate, which is part of the reason why it seals so well everywhere. But in so doing it puts an added resistance to the tailgate dropping. My keyfob release tailgate will not drop on its own now, you have to pull it. It wasnt a feature I really use so I dont really miss it, but if thats a thing you really want to keep the style of cover I installed might not work for you

1 - 20 of 24 Posts