Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! For those that are interested or curious and haven't done it yet, I just wanted to highlight what it looks like underneath the tonneau cover...cover. ;-) As a maintenance item, periodically, you are supposed to open up the cover over where the tonneau cover rolls (remove leaves, dirt, etc.).

Super easy -- remove the two T15 torx bolts, and the cover hinges open revealing a, I don't know, "dust sweep" and the area underneath. Not much in there, but here you go!

Netbook Automotive design Automotive lighting Gadget Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive design Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

· Registered
267 Posts
I have friends who have had similar aftermarket, hard tonneau covers and the SC one seems pretty typical. Both some water leakage and the noise when it is opened and closed are widely considered normal for these among my truck friends. I have considered them for my trucks in the past because of their security and better appearance. But I bought vinyl tonneaus because they are cheaper, somewhat more waterproof. and take up less bed space. But you still have to sweat things getting wet back there when it rains hard with any tonneau. I see it as part of the truck bargain because it is a truck and not an enclosed vehicle. At least Hyundai gives you a standard tonneau, which I had to buy on my own for my mid $40k Tundra ten years ago!

Thanks for those pictures @hlacoss. it is nice to see under the covers. It all looks high quality and well made from what I can see..

· Registered
'23 Limited AWD Blue Stone
2,536 Posts
I have friends who have had similar aftermarket, hard tonneau covers and the SC one seems pretty typical. Both some water leakage and the noise when it is opened and closed are widely considered normal for these among my truck friends.
Concure. I had a Roll-N-Lock on my old Ranger and the traits are the same. The main advantage to these style covers is they roll up and store (mostly) out of the way while being metal and lockable. The vinyl covers just snap or velcro in place which is much better at keeping water out but they offer zero security. Fiberglass covers can be locked but you can't remove them, just tilt up, so tall items can't fit. Sadly no solution is perfect.

· Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
575 Posts
I worry about water getting in the tonneau box from rain or melting snow. Are there any drain holes in the box?

· Registered
575 Posts
I checked the owners manual in the tonneau cover section. It mentions checking to check that drainage doesn't get plugged but not where the drains are. They should be easy enough to find.

Reactions: hlacoss

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL (Ice White)
69 Posts
I worry about water getting in the tonneau box from rain or melting snow. Are there any drain holes in the box?
I had it open this weekend, I don’t remember seeing any when I was pulling leaves out. But it does make sense for there to be drain holes. So I confident Hyundai would put them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
575 Posts
I crawled around in the bed this morning looking for any drains in the tonneau box. From directly underneath, all I saw was locator holes with the black rectangular pins(?) in them. No holes in the bottom for draining water.
Opening up the maintenance panel, I slid my phone inside and took some blind pictures. A picture of the interior of the drivers side showed a black opening about 1" in the side panel. There was a matching one on the passenger side of the box.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

I then took a picture outside the box and saw a rubber boot connected to the box at the same place as the hole. There were no wires or anything else inside the boot that i could feel. I tried to see underneath the wheel well for the other side, but the wheel well liner blocked the view.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

I wonder if these boots are drains for the box that drain inside the wheel wells? It's too cold now to try pouring water inside the box to see if it drains out on the ground or not. Maybe in Spring. I know some members have the service manuals. Maybe they could check to see what these rubber boots are for?

· Registered
57 Posts
Hello! For those that are interested or curious and haven't done it yet, I just wanted to highlight what it looks like underneath the tonneau cover...cover. ;-) As a maintenance item, periodically, you are supposed to open up the cover over where the tonneau cover rolls (remove leaves, dirt, etc.).

Super easy -- remove the two T15 torx bolts, and the cover hinges open revealing a, I don't know, "dust sweep" and the area underneath. Not much in there, but here you go!

View attachment 3280

View attachment 3281
Great info.. I also found the brand label on my limited tonneau cover, Mountain Top USA, and they are in Montgomery as well. I went on their website and they make these type covers for automakers. Check out their website. My tonneau cover leaks in the front and back, they should only leak a little by the tailgate channels on the sides but mine leaks pretty bad, soon I'll take it in for some hopeful adjustments to it and the side steps installation. If I get no luck I'll inquire with the manufacturer.

· Registered
22 Posts
Yes there are drain holes along the interiror deep set cargo area and path for the water. My cover leaks too my concern is taking out the bed liner and having to wipe the whole truck bed and liner down after a rain there is a Mfg bulletin to Hyundai on rusty nail bed screws.

· Registered
9 Posts
Yes there are drain holes along the interiror deep set cargo area and path for the water. My cover leaks too my concern is taking out the bed liner and having to wipe the whole truck bed and liner down after a rain there is a Mfg bulletin to Hyundai on rusty nail bed screws.
Maybe a little clear caulk would go a long way to protect those screws?

· Registered
2,092 Posts
Maybe a little clear caulk would go a long way to protect those screws?
Or check with the dealer and have them replaced with proper screws per the service bulletin, if your SC is one of the few impacted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.