Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A source sent me the 2022 Santa Cruz owners manual. And before you ask NO I am not distributing to anyone else since my source requested it not be shared and I will honor that request. Out of respect please do the same for me.

Honestly 90% of the information is the same as the 2022 Tucson manual that is already available. Since it is the day before a holiday things were SLOW at work so I went thru the whole document and below are the highlights. Much of this information is already known as fact, hinted at, or we have already guessed based on knowledge of other Hyundai vehicles, YouTube videos and various auto industry publications reviews etc.

GENERAL
87 octane fuel, E15 acceptable but no E85
17.7 gallon tank
600 mile break in and 1,500 miles required before towing
there is a button on the dash for the bed lamp
no memory seat buttons!!!
manual tilt / telescopic steering wheel
4 drive modes: Normal, Sport, Smart and Snow (Snow on AWD only)
wireless iQ phone charging in the forward part of the center console (if equipped)
dimensions confirmed: 195.6" long, 75" wide, 66.7" tall, 118.3" wheelbase
most of the lights and bulbs are LED
245/60 18 or 245/50 20 tires @ 35 PSI, 79-94 lbft of torque for the lug nuts
GVW 5,456 lbs (2WD na engine) to 5,732 lbs (AWD turbo engine)
6.13 quarts (with low level warning) of 0W-20 (na) or 0W-30 (turbo) Quaker State Full Synthetic oil recommended
10 quarts (na) or 9.12 quarts (turbo) engine coolant capacity

SEATS
lumbar adjustment for drivers seat (if equipped)
power seats (if equipped) have the following 8 adjustments: lumber support more / less, forward / back, recline angle, seat cushion (bottom) up / down / angle
mesh pockets on the back of the front seats
both the front and back seat head rests can be raised or lowered or removed entirely
the rear seats fold up / down by pulling on a strap
seat warmers and seat ventilation (if equipped) can be automatically tied to climate control settings
seat belt shoulder height is adjustable
child latch system for two rear seats (but not the middle rear seat)
front, side and curtain air bags

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
analog or digital (if equipped) gauge cluster with speed, tach, coolant, fuel, outside temp, distance to empty displays
average fuel economy display on digital dash
low fuel warning light, icy road warning (temp below 40)
lane keeping indicator light (shows if lane keeping can be activated if the camera sees the lane markings)
turn-by-turn navigation displayed in dash
driving force distribution for AWD displayed in the dash
10 ambient lighting colors with 5 levels (0-4) (if equipped)
dash illumination has 19 levels (1-20)
fuel economy calculated for drive (since started), accumulated (until reset) and since refueling
tail gate opened (and dampened) via the remote key FOB

CONVENIENT
Smart Key (keyless entry + remote start)
there is a low battery warning for the Smart Key
Digital Key (Android phones only, NFC based unlock and start plus driver preferences like
lights, door locks, navigation, radio and temperature settings)
rear occupant alert (if equipped)
heated steering wheel (if equipped, can also be linked to auto climate)
auto dimming mirror with Homelink (if equipped)
the side mirrors can be manually folded in (there is no mention of heated mirrors but there is a fuse labeled as such)
auto up/down power windows (if equipped)
rear sliding window (if equipped)
sunroof (if equipped) tilt and slide, warning if left open when vehicle is turned off
tail gate is removable
auto head lights with high beam assist (turns off the bright lights when it sees another car)
one touch lane change signal with 3, 5 or 7 flashes (user setting)
door handle lamp - aka puddle lights (if equipped)
auto wipers - aka rain sensing wipers (if equipped)
auto climate control (if equipped)
diffuse "multi air mode" (gentle breeze from the strip that runs the width of the dash)
rear climate vents
rear defroster
auto defog and auto dehumidify (if equipped)
tonneau cover can be locked (manually)
tonneau cover has a 1/2 open position
bed shelf support system can be created DIY style using 2x6x52 standard lumber, allows for carrying full sheets of plywood with the tailgate in the 20 degree position using the tailgate cables
under bed storage (aka "brunk") is locked & unlocked via door lock button on the key FOB
in bed power outlet (if equipped)
3 cargo tie downs per side @ 440lb load rating
tie down cleats (if equipped) repositionable @ 220lb load rating
front 12V power outlet rated at 180 watts
roof rack (if equipped) @ 220lb per side

DRIVING
engine start / stop button and remote start (if equipped)
manual shift mode
paddle shifters (if equipped)
*notice that the DCT may not shift smoothly during the first 1,000 miles
engine overheat temp is 248 degrees
electronic parking brake
trailer stability assist
hill start assist - aka hill hold (keeps brakes on for 2 seconds so vehicle doesn't roll back)
downhill brake control - aka hill descent feature (console button that will apply brakes automatically when going down steep hills if under 37 MPH)
snow mode (optimized both left and right wheel slip and torque applied accordingly)
AWD lock (only under 37 MPH)
AWD vehicles must be towed on a flat bed
the 3,500 or 5,000 lbs tow limit based on 2 people (more people reduces tow capacity)
tow hitch is a dealer installed accessory (there are no pictures or other any other information about it)
bumper hitch is not allowed
vehicle capacity is 5 persons or 1,411 lbs
cargo load capacity is 661 lbs
TPMS shows each tires individual pressure
jack and tools are stored under the passenger side rear seat
spare tire under the bed (lowered like other trucks via turning a socket)
a tie down strap is provided for securing the flat tire in the bed (nice touch)
trailer circuit and AC inverter fuses are listed as 30A

DRIVER ASSISTANCE (if equipped):
forward collision avoidance
lane keeping assist
blind spot collision avoidance assist
safe exit warning
manual speed limit assist
intelligent speed limit assist
driver attention warning
blind spot view monitor
cruise control
smart cruise control
navigation based smart cruise control
lane following assist
highway driving assist
rear view monitor
surround view monitor (aka parking cameras, front, side and rear with top view)
rear cross traffic collision avoidance assist

MAINTENANCE
engine oil and air filter should be changed every 12 months or 8,000 miles under normal usage, but 6 months or 5,000 miles under severe usage (IE: short distances, excess idling, off road, heavy traffic, mountains, towing, high speed, stop-n-go, etc)
engine coolant @ 120,000 miles and every 24,000 after that
cabin air filter every 16,000 or 12 months
automatic transmission fluid every 60,000
dual clutch fluid every 56,000
rear diff and transfer case (AWD) every 72,000
oil consummation will occur during the first 4,000 miles
coolant mix is 35/65 to 60/40 depending on local temperature, recommend 50/50 blend for most
tires can be rotated all around (they are not staggered)
the headlight bulb is changed by removing the inner front wheel fender liner via a few clips
the tail light bulbs are replaced by lowering the tail gate and then removing just one screw
care of matte paint is mentioned but this information seems generic to any / all Hyundai models

MISC:
(if equipped) = clearly these are options based on various trim levels
almost all the "auto" type settings can be turned off via the setup menu in the infotainment system, even some of the safety features can be turned off if they annoying you. The warning chimes and timing of many alerts can be changed too.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
Thank you for all that info.

"the side mirrors are NOT heated, but they can manually fold in"
Note that the Santa Cruz site says the side mirrors are heated on SEL and up trim levels (?)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was no mention of it in the manual but there is a fuse for it, so I'll edit my post to reflect this.

·
Registered
808 Posts
seat warmers and seat ventilation (if equipped) can be automatically tied to climate control settings
Cool feature, have owned cooled seats but not ones that auto-engage.
analog or digital (if equipped) gauge cluster with speed, tach, coolant, fuel, outside temp, distance to empty displays
Ah, so lower trims are confirmed to get the ghetto base gauge cluster from the Tucson, I guess that's to be expected.
tail gate opened (and dampened) via the remote key FOB
I believe the Maverick doesn't have either.
tow hitch is a dealer installed accessory
This is a bummer.
auto head lights with high beam assist (turns off the bright lights when it sees another car)
I assume there's a setting to turn this off. I was following a car recently and thought the dude was a spaz for constantly flashing his high beams, but I'm pretty sure it was the car doing it itself anytime it saw a break in traffic on the other side of the median. I felt like I was at a disco party or that he was trying to warn someone with mores code.
automatic transmission fluid every 60,000
dual clutch fluid every 56,000
rear diff and transfer case (AWD) every 72,000
That seems odd, I thought most vehicles these days have "lifetime" fluids that you can go 120K miles on.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang, thanks that must have taken forever to transcribe!
I type fast ;)

To answer your question: yes the high beam assist feature can be turned off via a setting or over ridden via the stalk control.

Added fuel tank capacity... can't believe I missed that one! Plus some other minor stuff.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,230 Posts
Our Equinox has the "auto high beam" thing ... which is nice on long, lonely back roads when it's easy to forget your high beams are on. But yeah, they can really get confused in traffic or when there are street lights in the mix. They also end up blinding people if they come up on you around a curve - because the camera is mainly sensing straight ahead and won't "see" the oncoming lights until they're almost on you. I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have either way.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Curb weight isn't listed - just GVW, so (in theory) if you remove payload from that you get the curb weight.
So GVW 5,456 lbs (2WD na engine) to 5,732 lbs (AWD turbo engine) - 1748 lbs = so around 3.7K lbs for a FWD NA and 4K lbs for AWD turbo.

The Santa Fe AWD Turbo is basically the same weight and is the same powertrain, so driving one now will tell you what the performance will be:
An available turbocharged 2.5-liter I-4 makes approximately 277 hp and 311 lb-ft of torque. Again FWD is standard and AWD is optional, but this engine uses an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic. We tested an AWD example hitting 60 mph in 6.2 seconds, making the 2.5-liter Santa Fe one of the quickest vehicles in its class.
All is not peaches though, as they continue...
We appreciate the Santa Fe's newfound swiftness, but for most buyers, we'd recommend against any 2.5T trim. Hyundai tells us 75 percent of buyers stick with the 191-hp base 2.5-liter I-4 instead of the 277-hp 2.5T-powered model we tested. Smart.

The issue is with the 2.5T model's transmission. Where the standard 2.5-liter models use an eight-speed automatic, the 2.5T models get an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic that's simply not ready for duty in a family SUV here or in the three-row Sorento. Hyundai points out this is a wet-type dual-clutch transmission, which the automaker says "greatly reduces most drivability concerns." All we can go by is our test SUV, which delivered rough shifts from a stop and at city-driving speeds—there was no escaping its lack of refinement. If we were in the market for a Santa Fe—and there are good reasons to consider one—we would steer clear of the responsive but rough dual-clutch as well as the somewhat surgey 2.5-liter turbocharged I-4.
My problem with their advice of going with the NA 2.5 is that you can get the same horsepower from the Maverick hybrid, and 37mpg combined instead of 23mpg. And while the Hyundai 2.5 has slightly more peak torque, the Ford 2.5 is mated to a decently powerful electric motor which makes it responsive and the eCVT means that it doesn't produce a peak of 180hp but basically produces a steady 180hp from 30mph+ with no interruptions and power drops for shift points.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I just reviewed the Ford Escape Hybrid on Edmunds to see what they had to say. Noticed both the 2WD and AWD Hybrid has
  • Neutral towing capability
I assume that will apply to the Maverick as well. Bring on the Maverick "AWD" Hybrid!

Does the Santa Cruz manual say anything about flat towing?

Ah, so lower trims are confirmed to get the ghetto base gauge cluster from the Tucson, I guess that's to be expected.
Lol... I'm gonna love my ghetto gauge cluster along with my knobs and dials. ;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Its in the first post already: AWD vehicles must be towed on a flat bed
Sorry, I missed that.

I assume that means FWD will be fine, and the Maverick hybrid is FWD only, so probably no difference there.
Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. That's a huge plus for many.

Once again, Ford bring on the flat towable "AWD" Maverick hybrid ASAP! (y)

That's what many want both manufacturers to do. Flat towable makes it all that much better.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
744 Posts
That seems odd, I thought most vehicles these days have "lifetime" fluids that you can go 120K miles on.
The engineers must assume that the "lifetime" of the vehicle is just 120k miles, and after that the owner needs to buy a new one.
I'd have the DCT fluid changed every 30k just to be on the safe side.
Diff and transfer case fluids are so easy to change if DIY doesn't cost too much

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
744 Posts
I looked everywhere and can't seem to find 0W-30 Quaker State Full Synthetic Oil. Interesting Hyundai even have oil brand suggestions, most car manufacturer just specify weight

·
Registered
808 Posts
I looked everywhere and can't seem to find 0W-30 Quaker State Full Synthetic Oil. Interesting Hyundai even have oil brand suggestions, most car manufacturer just specify weight
I have seen manufacturers quote a particular engineering standard that the oil has to meet, but to be so specific about a brand seems like a BS attempt to get people to buy their oil at the Hyundai dealerships who may be the only ones to carry it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wonder if the Quaker State recommendation might be a typo as even on the Quaker State website I don't find that they make a 0W-30 full synthetic. The 2022 Tucson recommends Quaker State, but it's the non-turbo engine and is 0W-20 which Quaker State does make. Looking at the manual on my Kia K5, the GT which also has the 2.5T GDI engine - they recommend 0W-30 - but for brand they recommend Total Quartz (which I had never heard of).

·
Registered
19 Posts
With approximately the same curb weight and horsepower as my RDX, but 60 more pounds of torque, the turbo Cruz should have impressive 0-60 for its class. Probably six seconds or a hair better.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
744 Posts
I have seen manufacturers quote a particular engineering standard that the oil has to meet, but to be so specific about a brand seems like a BS attempt to get people to buy their oil at the Hyundai dealerships who may be the only ones to carry it.
agree
this is the sonata n line (assuming it's the exact same engine in SC turbo), it is merely a logo endorsement, not a you-gotta-use-it-or-void-warranty kinda requirement
I'll most likely use Amsoil signature series 0w-30

1 - 20 of 67 Posts