Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thanks OP, do you know if the engine responds to higher octane fuel and adjust to have more power or 87 or 93 makes no difference?
No idea. However I know the Ford Ranger which also has 4 cylinder turbo does benefit from higher octane. The Maverick too recommends 93 octane. How the SC manages on lower octane was actually a bit shocking to me. Normally high compression or boosted engines tend to ping on low octane fuel.

The Santa Fe AWD Turbo is basically the same weight and is the same powertrain, so driving one now will tell you what the performance will be:

All is not peaches though, as they continue...
The performance estimates sound awesome, always figured this would be a quick vehicle and that is where it will really outshine the Maverick.

A test drive will sort out whether the DCT is ready for prime time. I don't expect super smooth off the line engagement but will happily trade that for crisp, fast shifts once moving. The manual specifically mentions that the DCT is "more direct" feeling. In addition the manual mentions the lack of refinement during break-in (first 1,000 miles) so maybe find a Santa Fe DCT owner that has some miles and find out if it got better with time.

Like many things this is likely down to the personal opinion of the reviewer and their expectations. If you are used to a traditional slush box then I bet a DCT like feels rough, but if you used to a manual then I bet its perfectly fine. Once again gotta test drive it. My biggest worry would be slow speed maneuvers with my boat trailer, if its jerky under those conditions that would become super annoying as I often need to be very percise at boat ramps and backing into my garage.

I looked everywhere and can't seem to find 0W-30 Quaker State Full Synthetic Oil. Interesting Hyundai even have oil brand suggestions, most car manufacturer just specify weight
Its becoming more common these days - for example Corvette and Porsche both have partnered with Mobil. Its really just a marketing type partnership. The factory gets a discount on the oil if they recommend that brand. The Santa Fe manual only mentions 0W-20 with the same engine, so the 0W-30 might be new for the SC to handle towing duty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just reviewed the Ford Escape Hybrid on Edmunds to see what they had to say. Noticed both the 2WD and AWD Hybrid has
  • Neutral towing capability
I assume that will apply to the Maverick as well. Bring on the Maverick "AWD" Hybrid!

Does the Santa Cruz manual say anything about flat towing?

Lol... I'm gonna love my ghetto gauge cluster along with my knobs and dials. ;)
I thought I just read yesterday that ALL Mavericks are towable from Ford.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No idea. However I know the Ford Ranger which also has 4 cylinder turbo does benefit from higher octane. The Maverick too recommends 93 octane. How the SC manages on lower octane was actually a bit shocking to me. Normally high compression or boosted engines tend to ping on low octane fuel.

The performance estimates sound awesome, always figured this would be a quick vehicle and that is where it will really outshine the Maverick.

A test drive will sort out whether the DCT is ready for prime time. I don't expect super smooth off the line engagement but will happily trade that for crisp, fast shifts once moving. The manual specifically mentions that the DCT is "more direct" feeling. In addition the manual mentions the lack of refinement during break-in (first 1,000 miles) so maybe find a Santa Fe DCT owner that has some miles and find out if it got better with time.

Like many things this is likely down to the personal opinion of the reviewer and their expectations. If you are used to a traditional slush box then I bet a DCT like feels rough, but if you used to a manual then I bet its perfectly fine. Once again gotta test drive it. My biggest worry would be slow speed maneuvers with my boat trailer, if its jerky under those conditions that would become super annoying as I often need to be very percise at boat ramps and backing into my garage.

Its becoming more common these days - for example Corvette and Porsche both have partnered with Mobil. Its really just a marketing type partnership. The factory gets a discount on the oil if they recommend that brand. The Santa Fe manual only mentions 0W-20 with the same engine, so the 0W-30 might be new for the SC to handle towing duty.
Thank You for the info>>> Kudos!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having recently bought a Veloster N with the DCT I can say, without reservation, the Trans is very ready for prime time. Sold my Porsche PDK for this so I can directly compare. Also had VW DSG's and the new C8 DCT. The HyundaI BOX is VERY good with Shift logic in sport mode every bit as good as the PDK which is the benchmark. Smooth on start-up with very crisp shifting. In Normal mode the shifts are very smooth as well with throttle induced downshifts that puts you right where you want to be. . The car always knows what gear to be in, and some track tests show equal or better times in auto mode as opposed to paddle shifting on your own. I assume the "N" application is a little sportier than what we can expect from the SC, but I don't think anyone will be dissapointed in it's performance..

·
Registered
250 Posts
It hardly matters anyway. Half the idiots don't signal at all, half of the rest wait until the've already begun the turn (or lane change) half the rest leave them on for miles, thus no one believes the few that use them properly:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did I miss it, or was there any info about the trailer wiring options? Number of pins?
Zero info on the trailer harness, it is listed a dealer installed accessory. All the manual shows is that the frame has holes pre-drilled to mount it. The good news is there are dedicated fuses for "trailer connector" and "trailer controller" both 30A.

Other things that are oddly missing from the owner's manual:
front license plate instructions
emergency recovery, tow hook or strap attachment points
alternate jack or lift points

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
I wonder if the Quaker State recommendation might be a typo as even on the Quaker State website I don't find that they make a 0W-30 full synthetic. The 2022 Tucson recommends Quaker State, but it's the non-turbo engine and is 0W-20 which Quaker State does make. Looking at the manual on my Kia K5, the GT which also has the 2.5T GDI engine - they recommend 0W-30 - but for brand they recommend Total Quartz (which I had never heard of).
this is pilfered from Sonata forum
Sonata N-line (SC Turbo has the same engine and transmission) oil change dealer receipt

looks like the dealer indeed had/has Quaker State Oil, but I can't tell if they used 0w-20, or 0w-30. I wouldn't be comfortable if the spec calls for 0w-30 and they use 0w-20

but $7 per qt is cheap for dealership price

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
Zero info on the trailer harness, it is listed a dealer installed accessory. All the manual shows is that the frame has holes pre-drilled to mount it. The good news is there are dedicated fuses for "trailer connector" and "trailer controller" both 30A.

Other things that are oddly missing from the owner's manual:
front license plate instructions
emergency recovery, tow hook or strap attachment points
alternate jack or lift points
In my opinion SC front end doesn't look good with license plate. I will respectfully request my dealer NOT to drill the bumper and just hand me the front mounting bracket.
It sucks that they won't include front and rear axle jack points in the user manual, maybe in the service manual they gotta include that for techs working on it

·
Registered
234 Posts
looks like the dealer indeed had/has Quaker State Oil, but I can't tell if they used 0w-20, or 0w-30. I wouldn't be comfortable if the spec calls for 0w-30 and they use 0w-20

but $7 per qt is cheap for dealership price
That would be my question - which did they use? It's almost like they're saying they are interchangeable - that either works.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check out the line item:
Installed 0w20SYN

Looks like 0-20 synthetic to me. And for synthetic, $7.26 ain't bad.
The thing is if you continue reading the line item, it lists both 0W20SYN / 0W30SYN - so which one was it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
For a turbo I would want the 30 weight in their. The 0W-20 is geared towards improved fuel economy.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
For a turbo I would want the 30 weight in their. The 0W-20 is geared towards improved fuel economy.
0W-20 would probably also be much better in northern climates in the winter. It'll flow a lot better at -40 than the 30 weight oil will.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What @soldthetaco said.

The manual says 0W-20 for the standard (na) motor and 0W-30 for the turbo. This protects the engine in ambient -20(F) to 120(F) or -30(C) to 50(C).

21 - 40 of 62 Posts