Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Dumb question: What's a 7-pin connector gi e you that the 4-pin won't? Is it just for a brake controller?
Yes the 7 pin can power electric trailer brakes. I live in flat FL and my boat is light enough that I don't need them but it seems silly that Hyundai doesn't offer it, especially when the hitch itself has the 7 pin bracket: 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Towing Kit (R005) I fear dealers will just toss this bracket so even if you buy the 7 pin harness from Kia you will not have the bracket to mount it. Oh well, $7 later you'll be in business: Amazon.com: Tow Ready 20212 Mounting Bracket for 7-Way OEM Connector: Automotive

The fact that it also gets an upgraded radiator, cooling fan, drive ratio, and transmission oil cooler that the Santa Cruz doesn't list tells me that the Maverick is also likely going to be more comfortable at its tow limit on a hot Texas summer in the hill country where I think the 190hp Hyundai powertrain would struggle.
Ford is clearly more serious about towing then Hyundai given the upgrades they make to the engine. However I believe the 2.5 turbo will be less stressed then 2.0 turbo.The wild card here is the DCT. I wouldn't tow with smaller engine option with either vehicle unless you have a trailer so light that trailer braking is a non-issue.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dumb question: What's a 7-pin connector gi e you that the 4-pin won't? Is it just for a brake controller?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Correct. 4 pin is for basic light connectivity, 7 pin includes signals to the trailers brakes. Normally a e-brake controler is attached "between" 7 harness and trailer to send the signals.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts