Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With SC finally arriving at dealerships what is everyone most worried about regarding this vehicle? For me its the following…

1) Dual Clutch - how will this transmission perform in daily driving and various towing tasks? Will it creep up a steep slippery boat ramp smoothly? I’ve never owned a DCT vehicle before and my only experience with them is in sport car applications. What kind of maintenance or service is required? How long will it last?

2) Towing - this is the main purpose of my SC purchase, but towing with a uni-body, primarily FWD, 4 cylinder turbo, short wheel base vehicle is the mother of all red flags. Can it really hack it? Long term? In the FL heat? How much of MPG penalty will towing create?

3) Poor Sales - if the SC isn’t popular (long term) the factory and aftermarket support will be a challenge. Things like parts, service and aftermarket goodies (brush guard anyone?) will be slim pickings. I’ve owned a sale dud before (a Volvo C30) and it was a nightmare when anything went wrong.

4) First Year Gremlins - this is an entirely new platform so that first check engine light is going to be a nail biter. Sure the warranty helps but a true engineering flaw could render SC’s with a reputation of being worthless junk, just look at the Ford PowerShift debacle as an example. And before you say “well the dealer will fix it” keep in mind they will just as clueless since the techs need time to learn all the ins and outs platform. Given the lack of dealer knowledge around just selling the thing confidence is not high here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With SC finally arriving at dealerships what is everyone most worried about regarding this vehicle? For me its the following…

1) Dual Clutch - how will this transmission perform in daily driving and various towing tasks? Will it creep up a steep slippery boat ramp smoothly? I’ve never owned a DCT vehicle before and my only experience with them is in sport car applications. What kind of maintenance or service is required? How long will it last?

2) Towing - this is the main purpose of my SC purchase, but towing with a uni-body, primarily FWD, 4 cylinder turbo, short wheel base vehicle is the mother of all red flags. Can it really hack it? Long term? In the FL heat? How much of MPG penalty will towing create?

3) Poor Sales - if the SC isn’t popular (long term) the factory and aftermarket support will be a challenge. Things like parts, service and aftermarket goodies (brush guard anyone?) will be slim pickings. I’ve owned a sale dud before (a Volvo C30) and it was a nightmare when anything went wrong.

4) First Year Gremlins - this is an entirely new platform so that first check engine light is going to be a nail biter. Sure the warranty helps but a true engineering flaw could render SC’s with a reputation of being worthless junk, just look at the Ford PowerShift debacle as an example. And before you say “well the dealer will fix it” keep in mind they will just as clueless since the techs need time to learn all the ins and outs platform. Given the lack of dealer knowledge around just selling the thing confidence is not high here.
The DCT I suspect will be just fine for my needs and will add a 'Sporty' element with paddle shifters. If there are 'issues' the good news is it can be re-flashed with new code to correct it.

I'd NEVER push the towing to the 5,000lb 'capacity'. I'm thinking 3500lb at max. I am looking at an InTech Luna teardrop camper. I think the Santa Cruz will have no problem with that.

I think Hyundai may be onto something with this vehicle. Note: I think they completely missed who they thought the buyers will be. A 55 yr old divorced empty nester (myself) was not their target audience. But I've been waiting for this thing since the concept in 2015. I think I am or should be the target audience for the SEL Premium and Limited versions at the very least due to cost.

Not sure I'd call it an entirely new platform. And all the 'guts' have been in the marketplace already. The Interior/Technology has been lifted right out of the Tuscon. The mechanical side of the equation has been lifted from the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Security is my concern. Read an article Kia/Hyundai have seen increased thefts due to a flaw with the usb ports and push start buttons

·
Read Only
0 Posts

I agree with all of these, plus off-road capability. I don’t plan to go bouldering or anything with this, but I am disappointed that the drive modes don’t include sand or mud like the Ridgeline. This is supposed to be able to handle some off-road, but the only thing we’ve seen the SC on is some of the smoothest dirt roads on the planet. Plus, DCTs aren’t really favored for off-roading due to overheating. I live in Utah and for camping, fishing, or mountain biking, sometimes the dirt roads are pretty rough in sections. Again, really not trying to due anything crazy. But, I worry that the off-road capability will be non-existent and more for marketing.

·
Registered
408 Posts

No fears here... there is a lot of Tucson DNA in the SC. Santa Fe shares the basic drive train too. Long term Hyundai support will be there, 3rd party support is always hit or miss. This will be my 3rd DTC.. been very happy so far. Yes, I've had issues with all my Hyundai's.. but Hyundai has been on top of it and made it right. Just from my experience... your millage may vary.😃

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon Extended Cab All Terrain
15 Posts
I agree with all of these, plus off-road capability. I don’t plan to go bouldering or anything with this, but I am disappointed that the drive modes don’t include sand or mud like the Ridgeline. This is supposed to be able to handle some off-road, but the only thing we’ve seen the SC on is some of the smoothest dirt roads on the planet. Plus, DCTs aren’t really favored for off-roading due to overheating. I live in Utah and for camping, fishing, or mountain biking, sometimes the dirt roads are pretty rough in sections. Again, really not trying to due anything crazy. But, I worry that the off-road capability will be non-existent and more for marketing.
Yep, off-road capability is at the top of my list. Nothing major, just has to play well in the dirt, sand, forest roads, minor fording. If it's just a "show pony" then I'll go with the not as pretty, but more functional (from what I know now) Outback Wilderness.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
If towing is your main purpose, do yourself a favor and get the AWD model. It won't change any of the other factors, but it WILL allow better traction on boat ramps, especially where the angle impacts your tongue weight and lift on the front wheels. Depending what you tow, and how often, it really may not be your best choice. But only you can answer that.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
185 Posts

1) Dual Clutch - My wife and I currently have a 2012 Veloster with the DCT. The only issue I've had with it is driving at low speeds. It seems to hunt between first & second gear, and the shifts between them are very clunky when this happens. I recently discovered that if I put it in manual mode, and shift to 2nd while stopped, the problem doesn't appear. I've really only noticed the issue when in start/stop traffic. We have over 140k miles on it, and it's still doing fine.

2) Towing - I have no comment on this aspect, as (a) it's not a concern for me, and (b) I have no experience with it.

3) Poor Sales - Most of the points you've raised are not a concern to me, so I have nothing to say, other than with regards to parts & service. Since the Santa Cruz is based on the Tucson, I'd imagine that most of the parts are interchangeable, with obvious exceptions of body panels and other parts that are unique to the two models. I'm personally not worried about obtaining service on it, regardless of how well or poor it sells.

4) First Year Gremlins - Our Veloster was also an entirely new platform, and one not shared with any other vehicle in their lineup. The only real issues we had with it during the first year or so of ownership was with the radio. It kept dropping the Sirius/XM ID code from the unit. The dealership finally replaced the head unit, but only after we stopped by the service department while it was doing it, and the service writer recorded video of the issue. (When replacing the unit, the service tech damaged the dashboard, and it had to be repaired. We had so many bad service experiences with that dealer, that we switched to a different dealer, that happens to be closer to home, and haven't had any issues with them.) While a few other issues have taken some time to resolve, the dealership has been awesome with how they treat us, providing loaners every time we bring it in (if necessary). And other than the time their dealership group got hit with ransomware the day after I dropped it off for service, they have been fairly quick with their service. And again, since it's based on the Tucson, I'm confident that they'll be up to speed on repairing the Santa Cruz fairly quickly. And it's not like it's the only vehicle in their lineup with that specific engine.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd NEVER push the towing to the 5,000lb 'capacity'. I'm thinking 3500lb at max.

Not sure I'd call it an entirely new platform. And all the 'guts' have been in the marketplace already. The Interior/Technology has been lifted right out of the Tuscon. The mechanical side of the equation has been lifted from the Santa Fe.
The interior coming from Tuscon and the mechanical side from the SE does me some confidence... but the Tuscon has only been out a few months and the Santa Fe was all new just last year. The major mechanical parts are shared so hopefully service and parts become widely available. I am bit spoiled by previously owning a 350Z and currently a Corvette both of which has MASSIVE aftermarket support.

If towing is your main purpose, do yourself a favor and get the AWD model.
For sure I am getting AWD, no way I'd even attempt this with just FWD - as mentioned all the weight is on the wrong end. My father tows a small boat with a FWD only Ford Escape and he has spun the front tires due to the weight shift.

I am only towing around 2,500lbs, anyone pushing that 5,000lb max is asking for problems. The SC has no additional coolers for towing, even most full size trucks and the Maverick have added coolers with a tow package. So has Hyundai has done their homework here? The turbo certain has the power and torque for the task.

I agree with all of these, plus off-road capability. I don’t plan to go bouldering or anything with this, but I am disappointed that the drive modes don’t include sand or mud like the Ridgeline.
It has a snow mode and AWD lock. I hope some of these YT reviewers actually push the SC hard off road to show how it does in such conditions. I don't off road but I've encountered slippery boat ramps, some of which are just packed sand or gravel that often similar challenges.

As for the DCT here is some discussion around it: 2021 2.5T DCT Transmission thoughts from owners including an uphill reversing test. Overall it sounds like what it is: a manual but without the clutch pedal - if that is accurate then I should be fine with it. I hate the way traditional autos shift - aka slush boxes, so if there is some roughness in 1st gear that is understandable and having fast, crisp shifts once underway will be worth it. If the system can slip the clutch itself in up or downhill situations without being jerky I'll be happy. I've driven manuals all my life (and daily a 460HP Corvette) so dragging the clutch in some situations is normal. I just can't have unexpected movements (no matter how small) since getting my trailer into my garage requires pinpoint accuracy with inches to spare.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To be fair, the dry clutch DCT is the one that got poor reviews due to overheating, the wet clutch seems to be much better --- based off of the limited info we have with the Santa Fe. The same YouTubers who had issues with the dry DCT seem to be fine with the wet version.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Meanwhile, here they are addressing another issue on some of our minds: Top Five Newly Discontinued Cars and Why They Died
The Touareg example is exactly my fear. If the SC prices itself into slow sales it will be dropped. People expected it to be cheap because its a small truck. However what Hyundai built is a mid-size CUV and priced it that way, so the sticker shock is real.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD No Activity Package
941 Posts
No real fears, concerns or worries at the 2.5L NA engine with 8SPD traditional automatic SE AWD first year out trim level myself; other than possible "loaded up to the max" power output. I normally drive alone, so I know everyday performance won't be an issue for me.

One real concern is IF that metal tonneau cover will rattle and shake when you hit bumps in the road or are off-roading. 😬 I went without it...

Price WAS a major concern, but again at the SE AWD trim level I think they priced it right.

Because it's not being bought for towing other than the infrequent ~2,500lb maximum use, that's not a concern either. (EDITED/ADDED: Just found out the Hyundai only rates the SC for 1650lb towing without trailer brakes. Still not an issue for me, but good to know.)

Turbo with (wet)DTC issues do concern me a bit, but I knocked them out by going with the base trim level initially, with the option to upgrade on the first refresh if all else is well with this unique SAV. NOTE: I really would like the blinker lane change camera view in the center screen between the (preferred by me) analog gauges on lower trim levels and option of memory cooled leather seats, but life is made up of compromises. Maybe all the features and options will get rejiggered in the future. I don't think the Santa Cruz is going to be a one hit wonder at all.

Sales worries? Blahahaha... This ain't no Aztek! The Santa Cruz hits too many style and functionality needs to worry about that. Over pricing or marking them up is the only thing that I think will cause sales concerns. Adding a Hybrid and N-Line will only help sales.

EDITED/ADDED: Biggest real worry is the ECONOMY in general!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The DCT I suspect will be just fine for my needs and will add a 'Sporty' element with paddle shifters. If there are 'issues' the good news is it can be re-flashed with new code to correct it.

I'd NEVER push the towing to the 5,000lb 'capacity'. I'm thinking 3500lb at max. I am looking at an InTech Luna teardrop camper. I think the Santa Cruz will have no problem with that.

I think Hyundai may be onto something with this vehicle. Note: I think they completely missed who they thought the buyers will be. A 55 yr old divorced empty nester (myself) was not their target audience. But I've been waiting for this thing since the concept in 2015. I think I am or should be the target audience for the SEL Premium and Limited versions at the very least due to cost.

LOL... hey, I resemble your demographic. All but the divorced part... but I am a -1. Got tired of keeping a full size, not to mention MPG. Not place to put it... won't fin the garage... towed a camper on occasion. The SC checks all the boxes for my needs. Smaller, fits in the garage, rides/drives like a CUV (pending test drive), 4 passenger, can haul some stuff in the back lockable storage... Etc. Time will tell, but I'm hoping the millennial demographic will jump in... lots of them here in SO-CA... surfers, mt bikers etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can offer some insight on towing potential. I have a 2017 Porsche Macan base which has the 4 cyl turbo. It has a little less horsepower than the SC and about the same recommended non-brake assist towing numbers as the SC around 1600 lbs. It has all-wheel drive. I got a jetski earlier this year and have been towing with the Porsche. The ski is about 800 lbs and trailer a little over 200 I believe. The Porsche has the PDK Dual Clutch and it drives great with the trailered jetski. I put it into Sport mode and it still takes off. No problem at the boat ramp. I try not to go into the water with the vehicle wheels, but I'm sure it has hit the slippery slime along the water.

I recently was due for the PDK service at 4 years and paid about $1k for that service. Of course Porsche kills you with service costs. Thats why I do the oil changes myself and not pay them $300.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
Yeah, the TFL guys will definitely have this out on the off-road trails to test that DCT. I've watched them overheat more than a few transmissions already. I also like their AWD roller tests. Good channel. :) I'm not overly worried about off-road. The worst I'll likely throw at it are some forest access/logging roads to access some small lakes, possibly with a kayak attached to it. I'm spending more time deciding if I should buy a fishing kayak than it took me to put my deposit on the SC. LOL

I didn't have sticker shock at all, I expected it to be close in price, maybe a bit higher, than the Tucson, 1-2k less than a Ridgeline. They pretty much hit my expectations there.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon Extended Cab All Terrain
15 Posts
Yeah, the TFL guys will definitely have this out on the off-road trails to test that DCT. I've watched them overheat more than a few transmissions already. I also like their AWD roller tests. Good channel. :) I'm not overly worried about off-road. The worst I'll likely throw at it are some forest access/logging roads to access some small lakes, possibly with a kayak attached to it. I'm spending more time deciding if I should buy a fishing kayak than it took me to put my deposit on the SC. LOL

I didn't have sticker shock at all, I expected it to be close in price, maybe a bit higher, than the Tucson, 1-2k less than a Ridgeline. They pretty much hit my expectations there.
Oh yeah, waiting on the off-road trials to make my decision. It will the the Santa Cruz or Wilderness to start our (Me, Wife & Dog) touring of the National Park System next year. Need something that is comfortable for long interstates stretches and can handle light duty overlanding.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can offer some insight on towing potential.
Thanks.

I didn't have sticker shock at all
Neither did I... its only about $2-3k more then I was expecting. However the general perception (here and on YT) is the SC is too expensive. Once this feeling takes hold, right or wrong, it becomes hard to shake off.

Same could happen with the SC's off road performance, a bad review or two and the label will stick. Hopefully the TFL guys (who are very good) will keep the comparisons to other CUVs and not 4x4 trucks or something like a Bronco or Jeep. Because click bait titles like "Our new SC got stuck!!!" will echo across social media and even a minor incident will spread like wild fire :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh yeah, waiting on the off-road trials to make my decision. It will the the Santa Cruz or Wilderness to start our (Me, Wife & Dog) touring of the National Park System next year. Need something that is comfortable for long interstates stretches and can handle light duty overlanding.
Let's be honest, no one in their right mind should even be thinking of taking a Limited soft-roading with the standard 20" wheels.

That's probably gonna be my first modification in all honesty. Downsize to 17" wheels and get some sidewall on that thing.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts