Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non turbo SEL here and I've noticed sometimes when the SC is cold it seems to slip during the 2-3 shift.
Has anyone else seen this issue?

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,709 Posts
Having no issues with my SEL traditional automatic transmission, but would like to know if there is any way to check the trans fluid level on the SC. I know there is no dip stick, but does it have an overflow plug that you fill to?

The reason I am posting this here is checking the fluid level in the trans is the first thing I'd do if the transmission is slipping or hesitating.

Of course, the usual question needs to be answered as well. What transmission mode are you in when this occurs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do notice this too, usually happens in the beginning of my drive. Does it feel like a quick surge and then upshifts?
Once it warms up it rarely happens but would good to know what could be causing this 🤔

Happens to me in auto mode.

·
Registered
SEL 2.5 Non-Turbo AWD with Activity package
270 Posts
I think I have had similar experiences. Just assumed it was the nature of the beast. This definitely not the smoothest tranny I’ve owned

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK so update!
This Saturday the SC decided it didn't want to make any heat and the temp gauge stayed at C.
Took it to the dealer and they determined that one of the three coolant temp sensors keeps loosing communication and closing off the system.
I mentioned to them about the shifting and they are also looking into it now.
So 2022 Santa Fe loaner for me till they get it fixed x.x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they acknowledged the slipping\surging as they felt it on the test drives.
They are looking into why it's doing that since they have the truck for the coolant issue.
Update on the coolant issue.....hyundai engineers said it's a control unit that is most likely bad....and it's on back order.
FFS I should have just kept my Mazda CX-30

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well they acknowledged the slipping\surging as they felt it on the test drives.
They are looking into why it's doing that since they have the truck for the coolant issue.
Update on the coolant issue.....hyundai engineers said it's a control unit that is most likely bad....and it's on back order.
FFS I should have just kept my Mazda CX-30
All vehicles can fail. I've had lemons. I get the frustration. I'm also not one of the die hard Hyundai fans....people on here would have you believe im a hater. I'm not.

The new 2.5 uses electronic valves to keep all water inside to reach operating temp sooner. Plus one that sends the water to the oil heater. Part of the "smart"stream system.. Likely the control unit for that system. Normally it would probably be a quick fix but in today's world parts just aren't there. For any company. Could also be the transmission issue. The transmission relies on engine temp and temp data for shift points and shifting.

Be glad you didn't get the "could not duplicate" speech.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All vehicles can fail. I've had lemons. I get the frustration. I'm also not one of the die hard Hyundai fans....people on here would have you believe im a hater. I'm not.

The new 2.5 uses electronic valves to keep all water inside to reach operating temp sooner. Plus one that sends the water to the oil heater. Part of the "smart"stream system.. Likely the control unit for that system. Normally it would probably be a quick fix but in today's world parts just aren't there. For any company. Could also be the transmission issue. The transmission relies on engine temp and temp data for shift points and shifting.

Be glad you didn't get the "could not duplicate" speech.
I'm not a die hard Hyundai fan as I tend to favor a specific vehicle rather than a brand.
At this point in my life I've owned over 40 cars (yes I have an addiction) from various manufacturers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m having a similar issue w/ my SEL. Managed to capture mine on video. Especially does it uphill but acceleration doesn’t seem to make a difference. It’s annoying.

Here’s the video. I texted my service advisor but no answer since Tuesday…

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m having a similar issue w/ my SEL. Managed to capture mine on video. Especially does it uphill but acceleration doesn’t seem to make a difference. It’s annoying.

Here’s the video. I texted my service advisor but no answer since Tuesday…

yup! that is what mine does too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:
Still in the shop and part is back ordered....date of shipment is TDB so they have no clue.
I did bitch to Hyundai corp and they are refunding my my last 2 payments on it.
Which is nice but i'm still sans truck and driving a rental camry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update:
Still in the shop and part is back ordered....date of shipment is TDB so they have no clue.
I did bitch to Hyundai corp and they are refunding my my last 2 payments on it.
Which is nice but i'm still sans truck and driving a rental camry.
Did they get to the bottom of the transmission slipping? Or did they just pass that off as normal behavior?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did they get to the bottom of the transmission slipping? Or did they just pass that off as normal behavior?
nothing yet....they did say it was safe to drive and I picked it back up after not having it for 33 days. Well it went back today because the check engine light came on with a code of p2181.
Loaner is now a Nissan Altima bleh

·
Registered
SEL 2.5 Non-Turbo AWD with Activity package
270 Posts
I feel for you. Stories like yours make me wonder if my purchase was a mistake. Am I skating on thin ice? This is my first Hyundai - and the most complicated vehicle I have owned in the past 50 years. I suppose this is the boat we are all in these days. Much of ownership now seems to be a crap shoot, with so many things to fail. Supply issues make it all worse if you're tagged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts