*Aggressive alignment
*Fox Factory Overland 2 tailgate pad

Firm yet flowy.
Aggressive yet OEM in appearance.

Happy Trails馃憤馃憤

Attachments

Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
how are the AT Toyos? they are significantly more expensive than wildpeaks hopefully they perform better

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
how are the AT Toyos? they are significantly more expensive than wildpeaks hopefully they perform better
Thus far they feel compliant quiet yet firm and responsive鈥 I鈥檓 hoping they are worth the extra spend. I鈥檒l keep you updated but that鈥檚 far really enjoying them. I am a big believer in the four contact patches being a real sense of your driving experience, thus the AT III spend.

Registered
Ready for the trailheads!

*Toyo AT III
*235/65/18
*OEM wheels. Ceramic blacked out.
*20mm spacers all around
*Black lug bolts
*Aggressive alignment

Firm yet flowy.

Happy Trails馃憤馃憤
I didn't realize the 18" Factory wheels could look so nice all blacked out like that!! Now I have to do that to mine! Can you send a pic of it from a side view straight on? Also, you said it was a ceramic coat? Can you explain more about the process and a rough idea about the cost? I won't be able to sleep now until I can get my wheels done!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't realize the 18" Factory wheels could look so nice all blacked out like that!! Now I have to do that to mine! Can you send a pic of it from a side view straight on? Also, you said it was a ceramic coat? Can you explain more about the process and a rough idea about the cost? I won't be able to sleep now until I can get my wheels done!!
of course, happy to share!

Through trial and error I found this worked for me. I鈥檓 not a mechanic or anything like that so I鈥檓 sure I did something wrong, but let me share;

At first I tried plasty dip spray, it did not work. Next I tried plasty dip paint on, it did not work. Then I used duplicate color ceramic high temperature paint and mask off the wheels and it works perfectly!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some images of the product and final outcome鈥 Both before and after black lug nut conversion. Let me know if you have any other questions about spacers set up anything else. I鈥檓 here to help.

Attachments

Registered
Here are some images of the product and final outcome鈥 Both before and after black lug nut conversion. Let me know if you have any other questions about spacers set up anything else. I鈥檓 here to help.
Thanks for sharing. Oh wow. Caliper Enamel really? Looks like it gives it a matte black with just a hint of shine? Now I know with Plasti Dip, you can simply pressure wash it right off if you want, which I assume you did in your trials, but with this ceramic enamel, is that permanent now? Is there no going back? I'm just not sure I'm confident enough in doing it myself. I figured you brought it to shop and they applied a true ceramic coat paint to it which I figured would have cost hundreds at least.

If I do decide to do this myself, how many cans did you end up using for all 4 wheels?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing. Oh wow. Caliper Enamel really? Looks like it gives it a matte black with just a hint of shine? Now I know with Plasti Dip, you can simply pressure wash it right off if you want, which I assume you did in your trials, but with this ceramic enamel, is that permanent now? Is there no going back? I'm just not sure I'm confident enough in doing it myself. I figured you brought it to shop and they applied a true ceramic coat paint to it which I figured would have cost hundreds at least.

If I do decide to do this myself, how many cans did you end up using for all 4 wheels?
< 1 can did the trick.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the wheel faces, yes, only the exposed meal siler parts.

I also replaced the OEM silver lug nuts with black lug nuts. Thus, no silver / metal is left on the wheel.

For me, this truly blurs the line of replacing with expensive aftermarket wheels and keeping your OEM wheels.

YMMV

Registered

I also replaced the OEM silver lug nuts with black lug nuts. Thus, no silver / metal is left on the wheel.

For me, this truly blurs the line of replacing with expensive aftermarket wheels and keeping your OEM wheels.

YMMV
Thanks on the to do list now (y)

Registered
Looks awesome! May I ask where you sourced your spacers from and if you've felt any vibrations etc or feels factory? Thanks!
@fan_f1
Ready for the trailheads!

*Toyo AT III
*235/65/18
*OEM wheels. Ceramic blacked out.
*20mm spacers all around
*Black lug bolts
*Aggressive alignment

Firm yet flowy.

Happy Trails馃憤馃憤

Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
Wasn't planning to do any mods to speak of but don't see how I can resist doing this to the factory 18" wheels. It's easy, low cost and looks great. Thank you @fan_f1!

Registered

YMMV
I didn't realize you only did the silver parts. So that's how you got away with just one can. Few more questions:

• Did you leave the tires on the SC or did you take them off to do it?
  • How many coats did you do?
  • Did you put a clear coat over the black afterwards?
  • How long did you wait for the paint to cure before you drove it?
  • And for the final question. From the pictures it looks like the painted parts match perfectly with the existing black. In person, can you tell that the silver parts were painted? How noticeable is it when someone is looking at the wheels?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't realize you only did the silver parts. So that's how you got away with just one can. Few more questions:

• Did you leave the tires on the SC or did you take them off to do it? Tires ON. Wheels OFF and horizontal on the ground for even strokes. Any overspray easily comes off with GoofOff...
  • How many coats did you do? 2
  • Did you put a clear coat over the black afterwards? Negative
  • How long did you wait for the paint to cure before you drove it? 30 minutes
  • And for the final question. From the pictures it looks like the painted parts match perfectly with the existing black. In person, can you tell that the silver parts were painted? How noticeable is it when someone is looking at the wheels? That is the absolute WIN here. It honestly, wholeheartedly matches so well it looks 100% OEM!
Hi! Please see responses next to your questions....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts