Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...my black SC limited should arrive any day now...absolutely loaded...but no trailer hitch. They just don't seem to be made with them yet. Has anyone gotten one from the factory?

Dealer wants $1099 installed for OEM...which may just be an attempt to increase profit a bit. However the factory towing kit is online for $619 with an aftermarket harness and $699 with a factory harness.

Is it just me...or is this ridiculous unless the install is nuts. I tried to find a video of an install on a new Tuscon but only found one for a five year old one. But it did have all the captive nuts needed in place, so it really was just dropping a couple of plastic filler panels, lowering the exhaust and bolting it on. Regarding the wiring, it looks like a couple of plugs and if it isn't I'd almost rather do it myself anyways to solder the connections rather than have them potentially use some half-assed clips.

UHaul already has the whole package in stock for $300. In fact, an old HS friend of mine is a UHaul franchisee and I am sure he could knock it out for a couple of hundred. The salesman touted the hitch as being OEM and better quality but UHaul has been making hitched for a hundred years by now, so I think they are a safe bet!

Does anyone have experience with a UHaul hitch on their SC, installed by them or UHaul? Any other brands?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UHaul hitches are made by Curt and these are their installation notes:

"No drilling required for installation , Spare tire will need to be lowered or removed temporarily for hitch installation , Exhaust must be temporarily lowered for installation."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankly, this seems like a "do it now" before it gets rusty scenario in New England. It says an hour and it is heavy so two pairs of hands may be required. My local mechanic can knock this out no problem. It may not be worth getting my hands dirty.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Attached are the hitch install instructions... its easy - a few members have done it already.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,207 Posts
Go over to the towing thread. Others have already had the U-Haul/curt hitch installed.
Yeah, JMII linked that other thread with pictures. It appears the Curt hitch is also a "hidden" hitch and tucks up nicely just like the Hyundai OEM hitch. I don't think it has the piece welded on for the plug though.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
FYI, My 4-pin plug bracket is a separate from the hitch receiver and the car came with a second, round bracket which I presume is for the 7-pin connector.
So this bracket circled in red on the factory Santa Cruz trailer hitch isn't welded onto the hitch itself, but a separate bracket?
Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Bicycle drivetrain part

Pictures of the Curt hitch do not have that.
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Auto part Font

·
Registered
168 Posts
So this bracket circled in red on the factory Santa Cruz trailer hitch isn't welded onto the hitch itself, but a separate bracket?
View attachment 2796
That is a metal tab with holes for screws to mount either the 4-pin or 7-pin bracket to. The tab is welded to the factory/OEM hitch. The brackets that attach to that metal tab bolt on.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper

Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Auto part Wood

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I guess we are on our own finding a plug mounting method for the Curt hitch. No big deal. I will only be using it for a bike rack initially myself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I guess we are on our own finding a plug mounting method for the Curt hitch. No big deal. I will only be using it for a bike rack initially myself.
You can get the Curt brand harness connector mount at Home Depot

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well...my black SC limited should arrive any day now...absolutely loaded...but no trailer hitch. They just don't seem to be made with them yet. Has anyone gotten one from the factory?

Dealer wants $1099 installed for OEM...which may just be an attempt to increase profit a bit. However the factory towing kit is online for $619 with an aftermarket harness and $699 with a factory harness.

Is it just me...or is this ridiculous unless the install is nuts. I tried to find a video of an install on a new Tuscon but only found one for a five year old one. But it did have all the captive nuts needed in place, so it really was just dropping a couple of plastic filler panels, lowering the exhaust and bolting it on. Regarding the wiring, it looks like a couple of plugs and if it isn't I'd almost rather do it myself anyways to solder the connections rather than have them potentially use some half-assed clips.

UHaul already has the whole package in stock for $300. In fact, an old HS friend of mine is a UHaul franchisee and I am sure he could knock it out for a couple of hundred. The salesman touted the hitch as being OEM and better quality but UHaul has been making hitched for a hundred years by now, so I think they are a safe bet!

Does anyone have experience with a UHaul hitch on their SC, installed by them or UHaul? Any other brands?
Uhaul in RI can not get any hitch.. Got mine direct from dealer..Not cheap, but factory.. easy to install..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ordered the Uhaul hitch and wiring for $300 with free shipping. Hitch is out of stock (can't seem to find one in stock at the moment!) but it says it will be available on 11/1. www.uhaul.com

I want to get it installed before winter strikes and things start corroding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just ordered the Uhaul hitch and wiring for $300 with free shipping. Hitch is out of stock (can't seem to find one in stock at the moment!) but it says it will be available on 11/1. www.uhaul.com

I would not hold my breath, I had mine originally scheduled to be installed on the 23rd, they cancelled the appointment and told me it is back-ordered for weeks. e-trailer also indicates availability around the first week of November, hopefully it will be available indeed. The 1st of Nov availability feels like a placeholder to me though.

Make sure the wiring harness you ordered from uhaul is not the one that requires splicing, but the plug-and-play (not sure if uhaul sells it, you can get it from amazon or etrailer).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would not hold my breath, I had mine originally scheduled to be installed on the 23rd, they cancelled the appointment and told me it is back-ordered for weeks. e-trailer also indicates availability around the first week of November, hopefully it will be available indeed. The 1st of Nov availability feels like a placeholder to me though.

Make sure the wiring harness you ordered from uhaul is not the one that requires splicing, but the plug-and-play (not sure if uhaul sells it, you can get it from amazon or etrailer).
Thanks it says “use with tow package” which I don’t think exists…but it’s plug in.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

Ordered my U-Haul/Curt trailer hitch back on 9/23 when it said they would be available 10/15...

On 10/12 I received this:

"We have been working on your U-Haul Order and unfortunately, the part #CMF13486 is currently on backorder for 3-5 weeks, due to a production delay. If product becomes available before hand , we will ship ASAP."

Today 10/26 at 11:56am I received this:
"We have been working on your U-Haul Order and unfortunately, the part # CMF13486 are currently on backorder for 6-8 weeks, due to a production delay. If additional inventory becomes available sooner. We will fill the order."

Today 10/26 at 1:14pm I received this:
"We have been working on your U-Haul Order and unfortunately, the part # CMF13486 are currently on backorder for 4-6 weeks, due to a production delay. If additional inventory becomes available sooner. We will fill the order."

o_O What the heck! Think any of us will get it before 2022? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts