Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were super lucky to find a dealer locally that wasn't up-charging the limited. Purchased and drove it home the next day. Decided our road trip would be a good way to familiarize the vehicle and warm it up with highway miles.
Our luck ran out about 4 hours up the interstate well into the next state. It was an active construction zone through a smaller city with a 30 mph zone. As we were coming up to a flagger we heard what sounded like gear grinding really loud under the center of the Santa Cruz. Wife instantly pulled over quickly and was able to get the vehicle about 30 feet from when we first heard the terrible noise. Unfortunately, this blocked the exit for the side-dump trucks removing debris from the site. I ran out and told the truck driver we had just broke down and let him know we were going to push it to clear his exit. He was not happy. The flagger said he heard the noise as we passed. He said he would help me push it to clear the active exit. My wife put the transmission in to neutral because putting it into drive only ramped the tachometer but with no motion from the vehicle. The flagger and I rocked the car on a very level road but the SC just swayed forward and back as both of us attempted to push it. The vehicle responded like she was holding the brakes but she was in neutral and the parking brake was released. The wife used the "sos" button to contact Hyundai directly. The construction workers relocated their exit at this point. With 330 miles on the odometer and no check engine light of a vehicle we were both excited to own, we were both now left broken down on the highway. The vehicle had no clue it was broken! The SC could shut down and restart with no errors but any gear you would shift the transmission to would just rev the engine with no motion.

Luckily a tow truck driver was within 20 minutes of our initial break down. I let him know he may have to drag the vehicle up the ramp because neutral was not working. Here I learned something. He started the vehicle, shifted to neutral, but then he shut the vehicle off while still in neutral! Now all wheels allowed the vehicle to roll.

We rode 180 miles in a tow truck to a Hyundai dealer, mind you we are still in another state. That dealer let us know when we arrived that his technician that could look at our vehicle was down with Covid and it would be 2 weeks before that could happen. That location was going through changes and didn't even have loaner cars to put us in.

This is where we contacted the Hyundai people directly from the car and they let us know a "case manager" would contact us in 7 to 10 days! They only told us they would cover up to $100 a day for a rental. Unfortunately, 1 way rentals from another state to get back home are much more than that.

The only good thing out of this was the dealer we bought the vehicle from. We stressed the situation we were in and they pushed approval to the regional service manager to allow me a reimbursement for a $400 1-way rental to get back home. The very next day we were back starting our road trip in our F-150. Our dealership had sent a tow truck to that other dealership that morning and had it brought back to them.

It's a holiday weekend but the service tech had called us on our trip to let us know he had received the vehicle and get information on what we heard and what happened.

We are now owners of quite possibly the first factory built dud. The only thing that makes sense to us is that perhaps the dual-clutch shattered but we have no clue at this time. Thank goodness we were only going 30mph.

Registered
Wow, that must have been scary and stressful, not to mention hugely frustrating. I hope Hyundai and your dealer pull out all the stops to make it up to you as much as possible. Please keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Registered
That really does sound like you had something in the gearbox or drivetrain connection to the engine just snap or shatter because of a defective part.

In my little over a half-century I've never owned an automatic shift car. Heck I've only owned 3 cars - the current is almost 23 years old. Really considering getting a '23 Santa Cruz.

Being far away from home and needing a vehicle fixed is the worst. Had a broken alternator immediately turn a car into a rollable paper weight in the middle of the road on a trip.

Good to hear you got back and were able to relaunch your holiday weekend. Do let us know what they find. (I'm going to go read more on these dual-clutch thingamajigs.)

Registered
Wow your terrible experience gives me further pause in my quest to own an SC! I think the most disturbing issue is Hyundai uncaring response. I am happy to hear that your dealer took a much better position/response and helped you out. Please keep us up to date on the outcome. I've never owned a Hyundai and part of their appeal is the longer bumper to bumper warranty but if all they do is blow you off or act as if they couldn't give a dang then that isn't much good. It sounds like your dealer won't let that happen.

Registered
OMG! Ok...that decided me. No purchase until the second model year. There is too much bad going on in these early builds.

I have to drive my 2006 Ranger on a long trip tomorrow (long story why) and am a tiny bit nervous. But it has been bullet proof for 65k miles-so here's hoping.

BTW...have never wanted a DC trans. They just seem to lack durability..

I wish you the best.

Registered
Hyundai defines the warranty and pays for the diagnosis and repair work but only through Hyundai dealers, not from them. Unfortunately that means you are at the mercy of your dealer and they range from excellent to bandits. That is the case though for any OEM warranty and service and the trend to escalate directly to the manufacturer is usually not productive. That explains why Hyundai appears to be doing so little IMO.

A serious issue no doubt and I would be extremely bummed if it was mine. I assume a new transmission or transfer case would fix it in an acceptable manner, but it does make you wonder.

Good luck @SeaRen1 and let us know what happens.

Registered
We were super lucky to find a dealer locally that wasn't up-charging the limited. Purchased and drove it home the next day. Decided our road trip would be a good way to familiarize the vehicle and warm it up with highway miles.
Our luck ran out about 4 hours up the interstate well into the next state. It was an active construction zone through a smaller city with a 30 mph zone. As we were coming up to a flagger we heard what sounded like gear grinding really loud under the center of the Santa Cruz. Wife instantly pulled over quickly and was able to get the vehicle about 30 feet from when we first heard the terrible noise. Unfortunately, this blocked the exit for the side-dump trucks removing debris from the site. I ran out and told the truck driver we had just broke down and let him know we were going to push it to clear his exit. He was not happy. The flagger said he heard the noise as we passed. He said he would help me push it to clear the active exit. My wife put the transmission in to neutral because putting it into drive only ramped the tachometer but with no motion from the vehicle. The flagger and I rocked the car on a very level road but the SC just swayed forward and back as both of us attempted to push it. The vehicle responded like she was holding the brakes but she was in neutral and the parking brake was released. The wife used the "sos" button to contact Hyundai directly. The construction workers relocated their exit at this point. With 330 miles on the odometer and no check engine light of a vehicle we were both excited to own, we were both now left broken down on the highway. The vehicle had no clue it was broken! The SC could shut down and restart with no errors but any gear you would shift the transmission to would just rev the engine with no motion.

Luckily a tow truck driver was within 20 minutes of our initial break down. I let him know he may have to drag the vehicle up the ramp because neutral was not working. Here I learned something. He started the vehicle, shifted to neutral, but then he shut the vehicle off while still in neutral! Now all wheels allowed the vehicle to roll.

We rode 180 miles in a tow truck to a Hyundai dealer, mind you we are still in another state. That dealer let us know when we arrived that his technician that could look at our vehicle was down with Covid and it would be 2 weeks before that could happen. That location was going through changes and didn't even have loaner cars to put us in.

This is where we contacted the Hyundai people directly from the car and they let us know a "case manager" would contact us in 7 to 10 days! They only told us they would cover up to $100 a day for a rental. Unfortunately, 1 way rentals from another state to get back home are much more than that.

The only good thing out of this was the dealer we bought the vehicle from. We stressed the situation we were in and they pushed approval to the regional service manager to allow me a reimbursement for a $400 1-way rental to get back home. The very next day we were back starting our road trip in our F-150. Our dealership had sent a tow truck to that other dealership that morning and had it brought back to them.

It's a holiday weekend but the service tech had called us on our trip to let us know he had received the vehicle and get information on what we heard and what happened.

We are now owners of quite possibly the first factory built dud. The only thing that makes sense to us is that perhaps the dual-clutch shattered but we have no clue at this time. Thank goodness we were only going 30mph.
Did you happen to capture any pics?

Registered
May I ask what transmission and drive you had? That鈥檚 horrible. I will be watching my with a close eye now that I read this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should add that we also have been happily driving a 2011 Tucson with over 120,000 miles with no issues. Every car/truck make and model has, at some point, had a part break or fail early in its release. The point of this post is to start the ball early so if someone else runs into this issue they will not be alone or have an idea of how to get the transmission released if you need to push the car quickly. Just like my F-150, later model years than my 2010 came with new issues so waiting for a later year may not guarantee a fully reliable vehicle just because it's a later release.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG! Ok...that decided me. No purchase until the second model year. There is too much bad going on in these early builds.

I have to drive my 2006 Ranger on a long trip tomorrow (long story why) and am a tiny bit nervous. But it has been bullet proof for 65k miles-so here's hoping.

BTW...have never wanted a DC trans. They just seem to lack durability..

I wish you the best.
It appears that for performance, the Dual-Clutch is gaining momentum. Even the Latest Toyota Supra 3.0 liter uses it to control 383hp and 368 lb-ft of torque.

Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limited, Sage Gray
Hmm I had an interesting stutter flooring it at 10 mph to merge onto the highway. Vehicle acted like it lost drive for a second and then gained it back a second later with a fair amount of lash.

Gonna be putting that 10 year drivetrain warranty to the test it seems!

Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
Hmm I had an interesting stutter flooring it at 10 mph to merge onto the highway. Vehicle acted like it lost drive for a second and then gained it back a second later with a fair amount of lash.

Gonna be putting that 10 year drivetrain warranty to the test it seems!
randomly and rarely at low speeds I've encountered momentary loss of acceleration under light-medium throttle application too, haven't really floored it yet.
not sure if that's a bug or a feature of the DCT

Registered
.... He started the vehicle, shifted to neutral, but then he shut the vehicle off while still in neutral! Now all wheels allowed the vehicle to roll....
... The point of this post is to start the ball early so if someone else runs into this issue they will not be alone or have an idea of how to get the transmission released if you need to push the car quickly....
Thanks for taking the time for your write-up, @SeaRen1. There have been a couple mentions of the parking brake's automatic action in 'Park' as being a handy feature. I don't believe anyone had ever considered the alternate scenario.

I sure hope your awful experience is a black swan event and that your dealer continues to provide great service. If so, be sure to post the name.

Reactions: FFEMT6
1 - 20 of 92 Posts