Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

Registered
What defines "uncaring" in your book? They came and got it (towed by included roadside assistance), a case was created, the dealership called to verify they have the vehicle and asked for more details and they are working on it.

"Uncaring" in my book is if they did nothing, did not provide towing or free roadside assistance... or was no one was there when the customer called etc. It appears both Hyundai and the dealer are making an effort to solve the issue.
Yes the dealer did the right thing.

Registered
Has anyone checked the manual to see if there is a hidden lever or button somewhere in the center console that you pull or push to electronically disconnect the trans? My Ram, Jeep and Dodges have this so the trans can be put in neutral for towing purposes and not be damaged when getting dragged onto a flatbed. Contrary to what you'd think, my manuals for those vehicles want you to leave the shifter in drive and then disconnect the trans electronically. It's getting too complicated for me with all this electronically run stuff that used to be simple mechanical.
Tucson has a release button in case the tranny gets 'stuck".. like if you park on a steep hill and rollback jamming it. Did that on the 16 Tucson and it did free it up... hope there is something similar on the SC.

Registered
It is a new vehicle - if you have to crawl under it and adjust the tranny fluid it is probably not a great choice. It should be sealed and it should run for 100-200k miles or more with no service, at least my Toyotas all do. Not 330 miles.

Let's hope this is just a nasty one off screw up. That happens with all makers from ultra luxury through entry level. One case sucks for the owner but does not mean these transmissions all grenade.

I am more concerned with hunting and jerking at low speeds and now I learn it can get stuck? Sounds like fun. That seems like a problem in multiple applications in the Hyundai family, which implies immature engineering and development. I find that unexpected from Hyundai.

I would love to hear how the OP's SC drivetrain repair turns out.

Registered
2022 Black Hybrid Limited Tucson
randomly and rarely at low speeds I've encountered momentary loss of acceleration under light-medium throttle application too, haven't really floored it yet.

not sure if that's a bug or a feature of the DCT
i don't think it is because i traded my 2021 Sorento Prestige AWD and i think its the same 8 speed WET dual clutch trans as Santa Cruz.

My 2022 Tucson (1.6 Turbo AWD 6 speed ) does experience the occasional hesitation and drop in RPM's when i accelerate. I can live with it if it doesn't get any worse, BUT i have to admit, the FIRST time it happened, i thought i accidently stepped on the BRAKE, not the gas pedal!

The 2021 Sorento with the dual clutch 8 speed never ONCE hiccupped (from driving out of the dealership till the 4 months later when i traded for Tucson) or ever hesitated. Its about the ONLY thing i miss from the Sorento, it was all power/all the time : ) I wouldn't ever have expected such a "thrill ride" from a 3 row SUV but it was : )

Registered
I picked up my Limited last Thursday. I drove it 220 miles home and have added an additional 600 miles this week. I have cruised at 78 mph, spent much time in stop and go construction zones and been on every kind of road imaginable for a one week ownership. I live in the hilliest part of middle Tennessee, but spent the last three days in the board flat area of west Tennessee. I have been very satisfied with every aspect of the SC so far. My first experience with a double clutch transmission was with a 2013 Porsche 911 PDK, which is IMO, the finest transmission ever made, so I wasn't hesitant about a dual clutch setup. Throttle response is excellent and everything works as should be expected. Before buying, I drive a Tucson with the 2.5 non turbo engine to get an idea of what to expect with the base engine SC. It felt sluggish and weak, but I am also used to higher performance vehicles and it might have just been me. My SC replaces a 2018 Audi Q7 with a 3.0 twin supercharged engine and my wife's car is an Audi A8 with a 4.0 twin turbo. I hope the nightmare that happened on the original poster is a fluke and this turns out to be a reliable vehicle. I previously had a 2012 Veracruz and it was 100% trouble free for the entire time I owned it.

Registered
We were super lucky to find a dealer locally that wasn't up-charging the limited. Purchased and drove it home the next day. Decided our road trip would be a good way to familiarize the vehicle and warm it up with highway miles.
Our luck ran out about 4 hours up the interstate well into the next state. It was an active construction zone through a smaller city with a 30 mph zone. As we were coming up to a flagger we heard what sounded like gear grinding really loud under the center of the Santa Cruz. Wife instantly pulled over quickly and was able to get the vehicle about 30 feet from when we first heard the terrible noise. Unfortunately, this blocked the exit for the side-dump trucks removing debris from the site. I ran out and told the truck driver we had just broke down and let him know we were going to push it to clear his exit. He was not happy. The flagger said he heard the noise as we passed. He said he would help me push it to clear the active exit. My wife put the transmission in to neutral because putting it into drive only ramped the tachometer but with no motion from the vehicle. The flagger and I rocked the car on a very level road but the SC just swayed forward and back as both of us attempted to push it. The vehicle responded like she was holding the brakes but she was in neutral and the parking brake was released. The wife used the "sos" button to contact Hyundai directly. The construction workers relocated their exit at this point. With 330 miles on the odometer and no check engine light of a vehicle we were both excited to own, we were both now left broken down on the highway. The vehicle had no clue it was broken! The SC could shut down and restart with no errors but any gear you would shift the transmission to would just rev the engine with no motion.

Luckily a tow truck driver was within 20 minutes of our initial break down. I let him know he may have to drag the vehicle up the ramp because neutral was not working. Here I learned something. He started the vehicle, shifted to neutral, but then he shut the vehicle off while still in neutral! Now all wheels allowed the vehicle to roll.

We rode 180 miles in a tow truck to a Hyundai dealer, mind you we are still in another state. That dealer let us know when we arrived that his technician that could look at our vehicle was down with Covid and it would be 2 weeks before that could happen. That location was going through changes and didn't even have loaner cars to put us in.

This is where we contacted the Hyundai people directly from the car and they let us know a "case manager" would contact us in 7 to 10 days! They only told us they would cover up to $100 a day for a rental. Unfortunately, 1 way rentals from another state to get back home are much more than that.

The only good thing out of this was the dealer we bought the vehicle from. We stressed the situation we were in and they pushed approval to the regional service manager to allow me a reimbursement for a $400 1-way rental to get back home. The very next day we were back starting our road trip in our F-150. Our dealership had sent a tow truck to that other dealership that morning and had it brought back to them.

It's a holiday weekend but the service tech had called us on our trip to let us know he had received the vehicle and get information on what we heard and what happened.

We are now owners of quite possibly the first factory built dud. The only thing that makes sense to us is that perhaps the dual-clutch shattered but we have no clue at this time. Thank goodness we were only going 30mph.
Sorry to hear of your difficulties -- must be very frustrating.

Registered
View attachment 2384
Looks like Hyundai forgot to lube the muffler bearings on this one!

Seriously hope this gets resolved easily. Keep us in the loop.
Love that poouch! Just so cute!!!! I just LOVE dogs!!!! Just a sucker here.....I miss my Darci Girl, put down May 24 this year... Nothing a dog's unconditional love.....they don't care if stink from work, look aweful, or feel aweful.. they just DEW love you.....Thank God for giving 11 years with darci!

Registered
I picked up my Limited last Thursday. I drove it 220 miles home and have added an additional 600 miles this week. I have cruised at 78 mph, spent much time in stop and go construction zones and been on every kind of road imaginable for a one week ownership. I live in the hilliest part of middle Tennessee, but spent the last three days in the board flat area of west Tennessee. I have been very satisfied with every aspect of the SC so far. My first experience with a double clutch transmission was with a 2013 Porsche 911 PDK, which is IMO, the finest transmission ever made, so I wasn't hesitant about a dual clutch setup. Throttle response is excellent and everything works as should be expected. Before buying, I drive a Tucson with the 2.5 non turbo engine to get an idea of what to expect with the base engine SC. It felt sluggish and weak, but I am also used to higher performance vehicles and it might have just been me. My SC replaces a 2018 Audi Q7 with a 3.0 twin supercharged engine and my wife's car is an Audi A8 with a 4.0 twin turbo. I hope the nightmare that happened on the original poster is a fluke and this turns out to be a reliable vehicle. I previously had a 2012 Veracruz and it was 100% trouble free for the entire time I owned it.
I don't like how Hyundai has responded to these people. That has finally nailed it for me. GM attitudes, General Motors Attitudes don't make it anymore. (GM always thought they made the best vehicles) Laughing so hard here. They have even efd up the ONLY thing could make the small block chevy engine. They efd that up!!! WHY? So Govenemt Moters you suck. Make genuine Fischer body trash, garbage. I saw the new Stingray now catches Fire......LAFFIN MY ASH OFF! You make Garbage, you will be garbage. It's a shame though... GM was once the WORLDS biggest employer.......GREED..... took over. Over paid everybody in the company. From CEO's to the janitor. Learn from this peep's. Quality is #1. Not flash and junk.

Registered
i don't think it is because i traded my 2021 Sorento Prestige AWD and i think its the same 8 speed WET dual clutch trans as Santa Cruz.

My 2022 Tucson (1.6 Turbo AWD 6 speed ) does experience the occasional hesitation and drop in RPM's when i accelerate. I can live with it if it doesn't get any worse, BUT i have to admit, the FIRST time it happened, i thought i accidently stepped on the BRAKE, not the gas pedal!

The 2021 Sorento with the dual clutch 8 speed never ONCE hiccupped (from driving out of the dealership till the 4 months later when i traded for Tucson) or ever hesitated. Its about the ONLY thing i miss from the Sorento, it was all power/all the time : ) I wouldn't ever have expected such a "thrill ride" from a 3 row SUV but it was : )
You traded in your 2021 Sorento for the Tucson? I'm curious as to why? Sounds like you really enjoyed the engine's "thrill ride" and that it had 3 rows.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
We were super lucky to find a dealer locally that wasn't up-charging the limited. Purchased and drove it home the next day. Decided our road trip would be a good way to familiarize the vehicle and warm it up with highway miles.
Our luck ran out about 4 hours up the interstate well into the next state. It was an active construction zone through a smaller city with a 30 mph zone. As we were coming up to a flagger we heard what sounded like gear grinding really loud under the center of the Santa Cruz. Wife instantly pulled over quickly and was able to get the vehicle about 30 feet from when we first heard the terrible noise. Unfortunately, this blocked the exit for the side-dump trucks removing debris from the site. I ran out and told the truck driver we had just broke down and let him know we were going to push it to clear his exit. He was not happy. The flagger said he heard the noise as we passed. He said he would help me push it to clear the active exit. My wife put the transmission in to neutral because putting it into drive only ramped the tachometer but with no motion from the vehicle. The flagger and I rocked the car on a very level road but the SC just swayed forward and back as both of us attempted to push it. The vehicle responded like she was holding the brakes but she was in neutral and the parking brake was released. The wife used the "sos" button to contact Hyundai directly. The construction workers relocated their exit at this point. With 330 miles on the odometer and no check engine light of a vehicle we were both excited to own, we were both now left broken down on the highway. The vehicle had no clue it was broken! The SC could shut down and restart with no errors but any gear you would shift the transmission to would just rev the engine with no motion.

Luckily a tow truck driver was within 20 minutes of our initial break down. I let him know he may have to drag the vehicle up the ramp because neutral was not working. Here I learned something. He started the vehicle, shifted to neutral, but then he shut the vehicle off while still in neutral! Now all wheels allowed the vehicle to roll.

We rode 180 miles in a tow truck to a Hyundai dealer, mind you we are still in another state. That dealer let us know when we arrived that his technician that could look at our vehicle was down with Covid and it would be 2 weeks before that could happen. That location was going through changes and didn't even have loaner cars to put us in.

This is where we contacted the Hyundai people directly from the car and they let us know a "case manager" would contact us in 7 to 10 days! They only told us they would cover up to $100 a day for a rental. Unfortunately, 1 way rentals from another state to get back home are much more than that.

The only good thing out of this was the dealer we bought the vehicle from. We stressed the situation we were in and they pushed approval to the regional service manager to allow me a reimbursement for a $400 1-way rental to get back home. The very next day we were back starting our road trip in our F-150. Our dealership had sent a tow truck to that other dealership that morning and had it brought back to them.

It's a holiday weekend but the service tech had called us on our trip to let us know he had received the vehicle and get information on what we heard and what happened.

We are now owners of quite possibly the first factory built dud. The only thing that makes sense to us is that perhaps the dual-clutch shattered but we have no clue at this time. Thank goodness we were only going 30mph.

Current update is Hyundai service escalated the response and there is a new transmission shipping from California to our Colorado dealer and should arrive this Tuesday. Driving the bottom of the line Tucson as a loaner makes us seriously miss the SC that much more.

Registered
Current update is Hyundai service escalated the response and there is a new transmission shipping from California to our Colorado dealer and should arrive this Tuesday. Driving the bottom of the line Tucson as a loaner makes us seriously miss the SC that much more.
They gave no clue as to what/why it happened?

Registered
2022 Black Hybrid Limited Tucson
You traded in your 2021 Sorento for the Tucson? I'm curious as to why? Sounds like you really enjoyed the engine's "thrill ride" and that it had 3 rows.
no i didn't enjoy that it had 3 rows, i was just IMPRESSED it could be such a thrill ride while having 3 rows : )
3 row seats was too much, was like driving a tunnel...lol its ONLY me who drives it every day and occasionally my husband and my chihuahua tag along...lol

the milege was barely 20mpg, the white color dint thrill me because it had "gun metal " colored wheels & badging, would have been MUCH sharper if the Prestige pkg (which i had) came with the gloss black wheels and accents like the SX pkg. (BUT i had to move up to Prestige to get 360 camera & blind view monitoring) When i saw the Tucson had all that & so much more (Smart Park, Digital Key, NFC Card & memory seats) AND came in a HYBRID, i jumped on it...and at least the wheels match the body... Prolly just me, but that gunmetal color grated on me against the white every time i looked at it...lol

Also dealer did NOT mark up the Limited Hybrid, yet they paid me sticker for my Sorento so i virtually drove it 4 months FOR FREE!, plus payment went DOWN 40 bucks a month for Limited Tucson Hybrid in Black : )

I love the Tucson, haven't had ISSUE ONE since DAY ONE (if u don't count that occasional hesitation when accelerating) but i just think the Santa Cruz is so so sharp and has great utility. Can't tell you how many times i almost bunk my head when i raise liftgate- I am world's biggest noob!

Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
They gave no clue as to what/why it happened?
The dealer won't be assessing the transmission failure. The dual clutch is within a section of the transmission and "possibly" that is what failed. The dealer will be sending the broken transmission back to the Alabama plant, I believe is the location, for analysis. The dealer doesn't know what's broke inside just that it's broke so the 100,000 mile warranty covers the drive train and thus they will just install a new one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Transmission received on Monday at dealer service, Tuesday afternoon we were told it was ready to be picked up! The techs only drained the transmission fluid and found it was pretty dark. Unfortunately they won't be assessing the transmission failure so no clue on what actually failed inside. All we know is we are happy to be back in our limited and getting break-in miles again. Shocking the dealer got an awd transmission replaced in about 1 day.

Registered
Transmission received on Monday at dealer service, Tuesday afternoon we were told it was ready to be picked up! The techs only drained the transmission fluid and found it was pretty dark. Unfortunately they won't be assessing the transmission failure so no clue on what actually failed inside. All we know is we are happy to be back in our limited and getting break-in miles again. Shocking the dealer got an awd transmission replaced in about 1 day.
Glad she is road worthy again... glad the dealer was "speedy" and took care of you. Defects happen, but it is how they address and fix it that is the key. Keeping our fingers crossed that there be no further issues. 馃

Registered
Defects happen, but it is how they address and fix it that is the key.
I agree. No products made are 100% defect free, but a quality manufacturer stands behind their products as Hyundai did here. I am surprised and impressed at how quickly a major failure was repaired.

This is an extreme initial problem to be sure, but it was taken care of very promptly and SeaRen1 is back on the road, which defines outstanding customer service for me. Now I want to get a Santa Cruz even more.

Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
I agree. No products made are 100% defect free, but a quality manufacturer stands behind their products as Hyundai did here. I am surprised and impressed at how quickly a major failure was repaired.

This is an extreme initial problem to be sure, but it was taken care of very promptly and SeaRen1 is back on the road, which defines outstanding customer service for me. Now I want to get a Santa Cruz even more.
looks like the didn't fix the transmission, just replaced it with a new one. Fixing it would probably take more time and $$ and Hyundai just replacing it should be a good move

41 - 60 of 96 Posts