Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

Administrator
No products made are 100% defect free, but a quality manufacturer stands behind their products as Hyundai did here.
I didn't find a single cosmetic, mechanical, or electrical defect on a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature I owned for about a year or a 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata that I've owned for about two years. Both of these vehicles were designed and manufactured in Japan. I don't recall finding any defects in a 2007 Honda Ridgeline built in Canada. The vehicles with the most problems I've owned were 2017 and 2019 Honda Ridgelines built in Lincoln, Alabama - we're talking more problems than even the Fords and GM's I used to own decades ago. I'm currently in a 2021 Ridgeline that has been much better...so far.

looks like the didn't fix the transmission, just replaced it with a new one. Fixing it would probably take more time and $$ and Hyundai just replacing it should be a good move
Dealers don't open transmissions - regardless of brand. If a transmission fails in warranty, it'll be replaced with a new or remanufactured unit at the automaker's discretion. The failed transmission will be returned to the automaker for a failure analysis then remanufactured, if possible. If a transmission fails out of warranty, they'll either send you to a transmission shop or sublet the job to one. Transmission work at a dealer is limited to replacement, torque converter replacement, dry clutch replacement, and external solenoid or pressure switch replacements. They don't mess with internally-lubricated parts.

Registered
I once read an interview with a Toyota quality assurance executive, who said they were working to elevate the quality of their products made in the US. He was asked if that meant they had excessive defects and he answered that they did not and that they were better than the industry average. But he went on to say that Toyotas produced in the US had the highest defect rate of any of their factories worldwide and that they would continue to try to bring the number down.

Registered
Transmission received on Monday at dealer service, Tuesday afternoon we were told it was ready to be picked up! The techs only drained the transmission fluid and found it was pretty dark. Unfortunately they won't be assessing the transmission failure so no clue on what actually failed inside. All we know is we are happy to be back in our limited and getting break-in miles again. Shocking the dealer got an awd transmission replaced in about 1 day.
Great that the dealer took care of you with the replacement vehicle and replaced the transmission. Hopefully you will find out what was wrong with the original transmission.

Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Limitied (black/black)
Well...one thing for sure. My dealer...which is 60 miles away...has offered to meet me half way to deliver the SC to me. There is no way I am letting someone else put miles on it during the break in period if I can avoid it. I just bought a 2.5hp Suzuki outboard for my sailboats dinghy. You woudn't believe the break in procedure. It may take me two years to complete!

Registered
Things go wrong in old and new vehicles. I would be interested in knowing the % of major issues with this new model. It's still not stopping me from getting one. Sorry to hear of your experience though. Surely is a bummer.

Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
Great to hear the new trans is in and you are Cruz'n again. Hopefully this is the last and only major issue you have.

Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
Really glad to hear you've got a new tran and your vehicle back. For that major of a transfer, seems that 17 days or so is pretty quick. But then it isn't my vehicle. ;) 馃ぃ

Registered
It is a new vehicle - if you have to crawl under it and adjust the tranny fluid it is probably not a great choice. It should be sealed and it should run for 100-200k miles or more with no service, at least my Toyotas all do. Not 330 miles.

Let's hope this is just a nasty one off screw up. That happens with all makers from ultra luxury through entry level. One case sucks for the owner but does not mean these transmissions all grenade.

I am more concerned with hunting and jerking at low speeds and now I learn it can get stuck? Sounds like fun. That seems like a problem in multiple applications in the Hyundai family, which implies immature engineering and development. I find that unexpected from Hyundai.

I would love to hear how the OP's SC drivetrain repair turns out.
You guys are bumming me out. The S/C is a tuscon with an open bed. How different can the drive trains be from one another. Dual clutch sounds like lemon.Fortunately i want a non turbo. I drove both Drive trains. the Non turbo felt better to me. I don't rip and roar so I don't need drag race power.

Registered
You guys are bumming me out. The S/C is a tuscon with an open bed. How different can the drive trains be from one another. Dual clutch sounds like lemon.Fortunately i want a non turbo. I drove both Drive trains. the Non turbo felt better to me. I don't rip and roar so I don't need drag race power.
I'm interested in how the non-turbo felt better. Can you expand on that. I'm undecided on which engine because I would prefer the normal trans, but not if the non-turbo is a slug, thanks.

Registered
I'm interested in how the non-turbo felt better. Can you expand on that. I'm undecided on which engine because I would prefer the normal trans, but not if the non-turbo is a slug, thanks.
When i drove the SEL premium, I noticed a delay in throttle response when accelerating. I didn't notice that with the Base SEL. I felt in normal driving situations the Base had plenty of power and excellent acceleration. So I am going with a SEL with the Activity Pkg. This is my first hyundai, i'm hoping it won't be my last. People who own Hyundai seem to have good luck with them. I also want the wanted a non DC Tranny. Less headaches hopefully. But 8 speeds is 3 more possible problems .

Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL AWD Black Beauty
This is my first hyundai, i'm hoping it won't be my last. People who own Hyundai seem to have good luck with them. I also want the wanted a non DC Tranny. Less headaches hopefully. But 8 speeds is 3 more possible problems .
My SC is the fourth Hyundai I've bought. The only real problem I've had with any was once when going into a car wash, the power window wouldn't go back up. Fortunately, there weren't too many cars behind me so was able to get out easily. The dealer took care of it under warranty. They've been great vehicles to own with no worries if there was a problem.

Administrator
There's so much commonality across brands these days in terms of both parts and assembly that the gap between the most and least reliable brands is smaller than ever. It's true that a Toyota or Mazda is about the most reliable and a Dodge or Tesla is about the least reliable, but reliability of all makes and models is significantly better than it was a few decades ago.

Registered
When i drove the SEL premium, I noticed a delay in throttle response when accelerating. I didn't notice that with the Base SEL. I felt in normal driving situations the Base had plenty of power and excellent acceleration. So I am going with a SEL with the Activity Pkg. This is my first hyundai, i'm hoping it won't be my last. People who own Hyundai seem to have good luck with them. I also want the wanted a non DC Tranny. Less headaches hopefully. But 8 speeds is 3 more possible problems .
Thanks. I've had one new Hyundai in the past back in 2009 and I know corporate stands behind their product. The car was missing the cargo cover in the back. The dealer blew me off when I asked for one after many contacts with them so I contacted corporate. I was very impressed with them. They called the dealer and told them to fess up a cover since it was standard equipment. The dealer said no and the woman at corporate said to the sales manager "you're telling corporate NO?" She then call the dealership owner and what do you know, they mailed me a brand new cover (MSRP $300), (I lived 150 miles away too) and they were not happy when they called to let me know it was in the mail. So then when some kid at the dealership called me with a sales experience survey I gave the salesman a 3 out of 10. Shortly thereafter I received a call from the salesman who was actually hyperventilating because he was so mad. He lost some kind of bonus for that. I told him he would have gotten a 10 if he had simply given me the cover that he admitted was standard equipment, so it wasn't like I was looking for something for nothing. So choose a dealer well but I'm confident corporate will have your back.

Registered
There's so much commonality across brands these days in terms of both parts and assembly that the gap between the most and least reliable brands is smaller than ever. It's true that a Toyota or Mazda is about the most reliable and a Dodge or Tesla is about the least reliable, but reliability of all makes and models is significantly better than it was a few decades ago.
i remember reading somewhere that Hyundai supplied chrysler or vice-versa. But I see Hyundai has their company Hyundai Transys. Thank God!

Registered
Thanks. I've had one new Hyundai in the past back in 2009 and I know corporate stands behind their product. The car was missing the cargo cover in the back. The dealer blew me off when I asked for one after many contacts with them so I contacted corporate. I was very impressed with them. They called the dealer and told them to fess up a cover since it was standard equipment. The dealer said no and the woman at corporate said to the sales manager "you're telling corporate NO?" She then call the dealership owner and what do you know, they mailed me a brand new cover (MSRP $300), (I lived 150 miles away too) and they were not happy when they called to let me know it was in the mail. So then when some kid at the dealership called me with a sales experience survey I gave the salesman a 3 out of 10. Shortly thereafter I received a call from the salesman who was actually hyperventilating because he was so mad. He lost some kind of bonus for that. I told him he would have gotten a 10 if he had simply given me the cover that he admitted was standard equipment, so it wasn't like I was looking for something for nothing. So choose a dealer well but I'm confident corporate will have your back.
I like it when they froth around their mouth like a rabid animal. That means I really pissed 'em off! Local toyota dealer fired a salesman for being such an A-hole to the customers.
They forgot who has the money and who wants the money. I would have no problem calling corporate on a dealer. Especially when I'm in the right.

Registered
i remember reading somewhere that Hyundai supplied chrysler or vice-versa. But I see Hyundai has their company Hyundai Transys. Thank God!
What does that mean? Supplied them with... what?

61 - 80 of 96 Posts