Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

Administrator
i remember reading somewhere that Hyundai supplied chrysler or vice-versa. But I see Hyundai has their company Hyundai Transys. Thank God!
I'm not sure how accurate or up-to-date the Wikipedia article is on this, but it shows Hyundai supplied one transmission to Chrysler that was used in a few Dodge and Jeep models from 2013-2016.

Registered
I'm not sure how accurate or up-to-date the Wikipedia article is on this, but it shows Hyundai supplied one transmission to Chrysler that was used in a few Dodge and Jeep models from 2013-2016.

If hyundai supplied the units, they most likely worked well. A mechanic friend told me never buy a dodge with an Auto trans because it will break.

Administrator
If hyundai supplied the units, they most likely worked well. A mechanic friend told me never buy a dodge with an Auto trans because it will break.
One of the most common transmissions used for years by several Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram models is the ZF 8HP which is truly a world-class transmission. It's very durable, smooth, and fast.

Registered
No idea and neither does Hyundai yet. Bought the vehicle drove it to my moms to take care of a few things, then onto home. Never made it home, just light on in the dash and the truck coasted to the side of the road. It's been at the dealer now for 2 days, I had it for 1 evening, and the rest of the time it's been traveling from Hyundai dealer to Hyundai dealer on the back of a flat bed. I have 0 details other than they're waiting on transmission fluid to arrive on Weds or Thurs to do some test.

Registered
No idea and neither does Hyundai yet. Bought the vehicle drove it to my moms to take care of a few things, then onto home. Never made it home, just light on in the dash and the truck coasted to the side of the road. It's been at the dealer now for 2 days, I had it for 1 evening, and the rest of the time it's been traveling from Hyundai dealer to Hyundai dealer on the back of a flat bed. I have 0 details other than they're waiting on transmission fluid to arrive on Weds or Thurs to do some test.
That really sucks, That's the kind of stuff that leaves a bad taste. Did it make any noise at all like some clunkers with a whining torque converter?

Registered
Man that sucks for the ones that are having DCT issues. I used to own a 16 Tucson with DCT (dry clutch) but I never like the hesitation from a standing start and Hyundai had to do a software update to solve a transmission logic issue. That is why I avoided the Premium and Limited and got SEL w/ activity package

Registered
My 2017 generation 1 jeep compass had a 6 speed Hyundai transmission. They were for the compass and patriot from 2014 - 2017 model years. It was not a DC, but I was just confirming that some transmissions were supplied to Chrysler.

Mine was very good.

Registered
Yeah - this is tough for me because my current truck is loaded and I am spoiled, so I want the Limited.

But I also am concerned about the DCT, which must have serious production issues if they are failing in the first few hundred miles. I guess while I figure this out (or Hyundai does) the price gouging might eventually subside, so there is an upside to holding off.

I would hate to pay a premium for a truck just to watch it riding around on a flatbed. It seems like you should at least be able to get that for MSRP. lol

Registered
That really sucks, That's the kind of stuff that leaves a bad taste. Did it make any noise at all like some clunkers with a whining torque converter?
No noise, just got a message on the dash. It started shifting funny then eventually stopped shifting all together, coasted to the side of the road. After that it wouldn't move forward under its own power. I didn't try reverse, didn't want to make the situation worse.

Registered
We were super lucky to find a dealer locally that wasn't up-charging the limited. Purchased and drove it home the next day. Decided our road trip would be a good way to familiarize the vehicle and warm it up with highway miles.
Our luck ran out about 4 hours up the interstate well into the next state. It was an active construction zone through a smaller city with a 30 mph zone. As we were coming up to a flagger we heard what sounded like gear grinding really loud under the center of the Santa Cruz. Wife instantly pulled over quickly and was able to get the vehicle about 30 feet from when we first heard the terrible noise. Unfortunately, this blocked the exit for the side-dump trucks removing debris from the site. I ran out and told the truck driver we had just broke down and let him know we were going to push it to clear his exit. He was not happy. The flagger said he heard the noise as we passed. He said he would help me push it to clear the active exit. My wife put the transmission in to neutral because putting it into drive only ramped the tachometer but with no motion from the vehicle. The flagger and I rocked the car on a very level road but the SC just swayed forward and back as both of us attempted to push it. The vehicle responded like she was holding the brakes but she was in neutral and the parking brake was released. The wife used the "sos" button to contact Hyundai directly. The construction workers relocated their exit at this point. With 330 miles on the odometer and no check engine light of a vehicle we were both excited to own, we were both now left broken down on the highway. The vehicle had no clue it was broken! The SC could shut down and restart with no errors but any gear you would shift the transmission to would just rev the engine with no motion.

Luckily a tow truck driver was within 20 minutes of our initial break down. I let him know he may have to drag the vehicle up the ramp because neutral was not working. Here I learned something. He started the vehicle, shifted to neutral, but then he shut the vehicle off while still in neutral! Now all wheels allowed the vehicle to roll.

We rode 180 miles in a tow truck to a Hyundai dealer, mind you we are still in another state. That dealer let us know when we arrived that his technician that could look at our vehicle was down with Covid and it would be 2 weeks before that could happen. That location was going through changes and didn't even have loaner cars to put us in.

This is where we contacted the Hyundai people directly from the car and they let us know a "case manager" would contact us in 7 to 10 days! They only told us they would cover up to $100 a day for a rental. Unfortunately, 1 way rentals from another state to get back home are much more than that.

The only good thing out of this was the dealer we bought the vehicle from. We stressed the situation we were in and they pushed approval to the regional service manager to allow me a reimbursement for a $400 1-way rental to get back home. The very next day we were back starting our road trip in our F-150. Our dealership had sent a tow truck to that other dealership that morning and had it brought back to them.

It's a holiday weekend but the service tech had called us on our trip to let us know he had received the vehicle and get information on what we heard and what happened.

We are now owners of quite possibly the first factory built dud. The only thing that makes sense to us is that perhaps the dual-clutch shattered but we have no clue at this time. Thank goodness we were only going 30mph.
Sorry to hear that you were on a road trip. Makes me a little nervous.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Just wanted to give an update to this post that our new transmission has held up with no problem. Currently we are over 6000 miles on the odometer which means we are almost 6000 miles on the transmission. We don't baby the throttle either. I still believe that it was the dual clutch that failed but we never heard of the actual failure nor will Hyundai ever want to share that information with us. I am still hesitant to take the vehicle on a multi-state trip just because of our experience. The Hyundai warranty coverage paid for almost all of our out-of-pocket expense for the rental to get back home which was a bit of a fail since it was due to their malfunctioning part and not a fault of our own. Wherever you break down will roughly determine the service center they will tow your vehicle to. If you are in another state then you'll have to leave your vehicle there and get a rental to get back home. That's where the cost goes over the allowed expense on Hyundai's part. It became a 1-way rental and they charge higher for that rather than if your broke down where you live and can get a rental that will be returned at the same location after your vehicle is ready to be picked up.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts