Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought this triple row 48" LED tailgate light strip that plugs into your 4-PIN trailer hitch wiring plug:

48" Triple Row Truck Tailgate LED Light Bar Strip Reverse Brake Turn Signal Lamp | eBay
Light Product Automotive lighting Audio equipment Font

STATED FUNCTIONS: The Triple row tailgate light emits low Red light for running, Bright Red for braking, Amber for left/right turning signals, White for reversing. Everyone behind you exactly knows what's your next step.

NOTE: Before buying, it should be noted that this light strip can only convey "one message" to the rear vehicle at the same time. When your vehicle stops the turn signal operation, only the brake light will work. When you release the brake and start moving, turn the light.

UPGRADED 6-FUNCTION:
Running mode, all red LEDs light up(dipped beam)
Brake mode, all Red LEDs light up(high beam)
Reverse mode, all White LEDs light up
Turn left mode, left Amber LEDs sequentially light up
Turn right mode, right Amber LEDs sequentially light up

Hazard Emergency Double Flash Mode:left & Right indicator sequentially flowing from center to both sides.

As you will see, the actual function is slightly different than you would expect reading that operation description...

Also bought this Curt 56420 Vehicle-Side Custom 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness:

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56420-Vehicle-Side-Palisade-Telluride/dp/B083QXT6FS
Light Product Automotive tire Font Line

Here are both items all laid out and ready to install.
Wood Audio equipment Gas Box Musical instrument

The Curt harness plug looks like this.
Font Motor vehicle Office supplies Automotive design Parallel

Under the drivers side rear corner is a plastic panel that houses the Hyundai trailer hitch wiring plug (pictured above in the instructions). Two 14mm plastic nuts and three pop-in clips hold it in place. The plug has a cover on it that is removed easily. It looks like this. I'm told the 4-PIN and 7-PIN both use this same plug, but the 7-PIN uses more wire connections.
Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Finger

Simply plug the harness into the prewired plug. I mounted the brain on the inside of this plastic panel with a plastic bolt and nut (drilled my own 1/4" hole).
Electrical wiring Circuit component Computer hardware Cable Wire

At this point I plugged in the light strip and tested it. It operated slightly differently than expected, but I will cover that later. With one blinker on, I marked the center point at which each turn signal sequential light sweep started. I wanted that to be in the center of the truck once mounted.

Then I cleaned the upper lip on the plastic bumper with water and then alcohol, before marking the center point on the bumper with a piece of tape as well. After peeling off the tape adhesive cover plastic, I lined up the two center points and pressed the light strip into place on the upper lip of the bumper just below the tailgate. It's tucked away nicely out of general sight.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood

The hardest part of the installation was tucking the light strip wiring under the bottom lip of the composite bed.
Vehicle Bumper Grille Automotive exterior Office equipment

All the way over to the opening with the removable cover (wiring was pushed under the lip where the dotted line arrow is).
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Grille Vehicle

CONTINUED...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
To do this, I loosened the bolt circled below and used a screw driver and bent end clip remover to pry the lip out as I worked the "wrapped in electrical tape wiring" (which I did myself) into the gap. The arrow shows where the wiring enters.
Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

For now, I zip tied all the excess wiring up to the factory wiring harnesses underneath.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive lighting

Once my U-Haul/Curt trailer hitch arrives I will relocate the wiring and may try to eventually install this CURT 57672 Dual-Output 4-Way Flat Vehicle-Side to 7-Way RV Blade Trailer Wiring Adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/57672-4-Way-Dual-Output-Electrical-Adapter/dp/B001EP0HPI/
Light Camera accessory Line Auto part Cameras & optics

Hopefully the four 7-PIN wires can be installed right into the open ports in the Hyundai factory plug not used for the 4-PIN (or just wire it for a remote wireless brake controller), thus giving both 4-PIN and 7-PIN ability for my light strip (but that's something for another day).

All and all it wasn't that difficult of an installation. The hardest part was tucking the light strip wiring under the bed plastic edge for a clean installation.

Now for the "actual" operation of this light strip:
  • R & L turn signals are amber sequential starting in the center and going out in the direction of the signal as expected (real cool look).
  • Running light is dimmed red as expected (actually pretty bright).
  • Brake light "FIRST FLASHES AMBER SEQUENTIAL FROM CENTER OUT TO BOTH SIDES" then turns to bright solid red as expected (gets your attention).
  • Reverse light is said to be all white (I did not install it and have not tested it).
  • Emergency flashers are amber sequential from center out to both sides repeating (super bright and effective).

Although the "NOTE" in the description states, "Before buying, it should be noted that this light strip can only convey "one message" to the rear vehicle at the same time.", that doesn't seem to be the case. You'd think the brake lights would cancel the turn signal like many of the sellers told me it would, but it doesn't.

If the turn signal is on and you then brake, the light strip does its' normal amber flash then goes solid bright red and the amber on the opposite side of the turn indicator lights solid, while the turn indicator side continues to sequentially operate on the turn signal direction side.

Because of this operation, my best guess is that the all white reverse lights will also stay on when the brakes are applied and the brake will flash amber, then go to solid bright red in addition to the all white solid lights remaining on for added backup lighting.

I hope that is clearly stated. I'll try to get a picture of each operation. For some reason I can't get any videos to download.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great write up. I guess my only concern is the adhesive on the light strip. Think it'll last?
Hope so. If not I'll just buy some of that 3M double sided emblem tape that never comes off easily. Because I haven't applied anything to the plastic bumper lip and cleaned it with alcohol I don't think there will be adhesion issues. 🤞

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't get my camera to do videos right... :(

Running lights.
View attachment 3752
Running lights and turn signal (amber light is repeating sequential center out).

View attachment 3753
Very well done. Definitely adds a nice touch. I used my hard plastic interior pry tools to get that wire pushed up under the lip of the bed but the clean look is worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Great write-up and pix, @HSC4ME. (y) This is the first mod I'll be making (if I ever actually become a Santa Cruz-er!) Especially liked your explanation about how the lights actually function.

My past experience with some of these light strips is that the individual LEDs often begin to dim or go dark after a fairly short time (in only weeks or a few months). Hope you'll report back if you notice this happening.

Reactions: HSC4ME

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ordered up the Curt 57672 4-PIN to 7-PIN for my trailer hitch. I need a picture of the 7-PIN Hyundai/Kia plug end wiring to see the difference in wiring from the Hyundai 4-PIN and Curt 56420.

With these two Curt wiring kits (56420 & 57672) at about $67 will give me both 4-PIN & 7-PIN trailer plugs at the ready. Of course there is always the 7-PIN to 4-PIN plug-in adaptor that converts your 7-PIN to 4-PIN using the 7-PIN plug and there will be no need to unplug the rear light strip.

Curt 57245 Basic 7-PIN to 4-PIN plug-in
Curt 57724 Same with backup alarm built in
Curt 57004 7-PIN to 4-PIN or 5-PIN combo adaptor (can add trailer reverse lights)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Great write-up and pix, @HSC4ME. (y) This is the first mod I'll be making (if I ever actually become a Santa Cruz-er!) Especially liked your explanation about how the lights actually function.

My past experience with some of these light strips is that the individual LEDs often begin to dim or go dark after a fairly short time (in only weeks or a few months). Hope you'll report back if you notice this happening.
That's my fear - for $20 (more or less) I don't expect the highest quality. I'm kind of looking at this as a test. If it works and I like it, I might spend a little more on a better light bar for the rear.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's my fear - for $20 (more or less) I don't expect the highest quality. I'm kind of looking at this as a test. If it works and I like it, I might spend a little more on a better light bar for the rear.
I just came across this one that is encased in a rigid aluminum housing for $80. Although the description pictures at the top show only red and white reverse, the video clip further down shows amber sequential turn and emergency flashers.

OPT7 48" TRIPLE LED Tailgate Light Bar Sequential Turn/Brake Signal Red | eBay

Not sure if the LED's will be any higher quality and it still only attaches with stick-on tape, but the surface on the aluminum housing should be perfectly flat like the lip on the bumper plastic.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just came across this one that is encased in a rigid aluminum housing for $80. Although the description pictures at the top show only red and white reverse, the video clip further down shows amber sequential turn and emergency flashers.

OPT7 48" TRIPLE LED Tailgate Light Bar Sequential Turn/Brake Signal Red | eBay

Not sure if the LED's will be any higher quality and it still only attaches with stick-on tape, but the surface on the aluminum housing should be perfectly flat like the lip on the bumper plastic.
I saw them too. Didn't think they were worth the extra cost for basically the same thing in an aluminum strip. If the one I ordered doesn't hold I might look at some type of hanger to keep it on

·
Registered
Black Limited
308 Posts
Just found these with a nice added twist on Amazon. Looks pretty slick. I like the two part look. My only concern is connecting the backup lights to the bar since you gotta splice it in. Nice part is backup lights are right behind it just below in the bumper. Any thoughts...
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
76 Posts
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle

Thank you @Fyngerprynt for the idea and @HSC4ME for the picture perfect step by step detailed instructions. Because of you guys I was able to install my light this weekend the only adjustment I made was to cut the cord fish it through side then reattached soldered in heat shrunk the wires. I even installed the reverse due to already having a connection to my backup lights when I installed my backup sensors.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive design

Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you @Fyngerprynt for the idea and @HSC4ME for the picture perfect step by step detailed instructions. Because of you guys I was able to install my light this weekend the only adjustment I made was to cut the cord fish it through side then reattached soldered in heat shrunk the wires. I even installed the reverse due to already having a connection to my backup lights when I installed my backup sensors.
That looks great!

How and where did you tap into the reverse light? Does it cause any issues to the electrical draw monitoring on these new computerized cars or trigger any check lights on the dash?

I had a another brand truck pass me on the fwy yesterday that had one of these LED light strips on it. Really looked good in operation. They get your attention well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That looks great!

How and where did you tap into the reverse light? Does it cause any issues to the electrical draw monitoring on these new computerized cars or trigger any check lights on the dash?

I had a another brand truck pass me on the fwy yesterday that had one of these LED light strips on it. Really looked good in operation. They get your attention well.
I'm interested in this answer as well. I received mine today and was guessing that I probably wouldn't hook up the reverse lights. If it's simple enough though, why not....

·
Registered
76 Posts
That looks great!

I will post pics tomorrow

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That reverse light setup looks great... this is the kind of mod I need for reversing down boat ramps at dark o-clock AM.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Installed mine today. Pretty simple. Ran the wires through the cutout for the tailgate wires. Wish I could upload a video to show the progressive turn signal (also a good shot of the vinyl letters I installed yesterday). My main concern is the adhesive on the lights. Going to try to figure out a bracket. Fire now I'm using waterproof tape as a secondary (and to hide to wires).

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Window

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 41 Posts