Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
262 Posts
anybody change the 3 lights in the truckbed yet? or know if its even possible?
I'm sure it's possible. I can attest from personal experience the SC has the best/brightest OOTB bed lighting I've seen and many others have stated the same.

What kind of lighting exactly do you need back there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up reading the manual, its not a simple bulb swap. The whole unit for the 3 lights in the bed area have to be switched out :(

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I bet the bed LEDs are sealed units to keep water from getting into them, thus you can't just replace a bulb. So you might want to splice in some LED strip lights to go under the bed rails to add some color back there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i was wondering, i have a plug mechanism for xmas lights that has a wireless remote. if i could use that and run the LED lights i want around the interior (under rails and cover case, you might have the lighting you need by fob when the brighter existing lights aren't as easy to turn on and off. Don't have mine yet but something i have been thinking about. I haven't even checked power requirements. Likely would cut small wire notch in cover with rubber seal to help keep it dry. thoughts?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm sure it's possible. I can attest from personal experience the SC has the best/brightest OOTB bed lighting I've seen and many others have stated the same.
I noticed that last night. Those bulbs put out a lot of very bright white LED light. Kudos to Hyundai on the color and brightness. But I'm going to keep zonking them for not integrating them with the tailgate.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
204 Posts
I noticed that last night. Those bulbs put out a lot of very bright white LED light. Kudos to Hyundai on the color and brightness. But I'm going to keep zonking them for not integrating them with the tailgate.
If you had to haul something that required the tailgate to be down, such as when using the bed extender, would the lights just stay on and blind drivers behind you? I assume they can be overridden ... ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you had to haul something that required the tailgate to be down, such as when using the bed extender, would the lights just stay on and blind drivers behind you? I assume they can be overridden ... ?
The bed lights on the Ram turned off after a few minutes. If you wanted to turn them back on, you had to shut the tailgate and put it back down.

With the SC, I did find two things:

1. I turned on the lights inside the cab. After about 4-5 minutes maybe, the lights will automatically turn off. So they won't stay on indefinitely.

2. I turned on the lights inside the cab. While the lights are on, I locked the SC with the key fob, and then hit the lock button a 2nd time and the bed lights turned off.

So it is nice that you don't have to go back into the truck to turn off the lights. They'll either turn off when you lock the truck or after about 4-5 minutes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If the bed lights are on, will they go out when you put the truck in 'Drive'?

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,076 Posts
I haven't tried it, but from a legal perspective, I think they would have to - since (at least in Ontario, where it is being sold) it is illegal to drive with a white light directly visible behind you. Got pulled over once many years ago for a license plate light on an old S-10 that had broken loose and was dangling just below the bumper. Yep, cops were bored that night.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
it is illegal to drive with a white light directly visible behind you.
This is my theory as to why the bed lights aren't triggered by the tail gate. Having them turn off in drive is the obvious solution. I bet the bean counters factored in the cost of yet another circuit and killed that idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts