Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

See a decent amount of success posts with the Thule roof rack which is great, but see no whisper/mention of anyone looking into a truck bed rack. Anyone know any news or have looked into installing one?

Couple things I can think of:
  • Would greatly help with the concerns of the "insecure mount due to smaller roof rack spacing" for kayaks, larger cargo carriers, etc
  • Install larger items such as a big rooftop tent
  • Would the built-in tonneau maybe come up as something that prevent being able to install one in the first place?
  • Drill-in vs. just clamp?
  • Tried looking at the "truck bed" integrity but am finding no resources
Would be great to know if anyone else has thought about this.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
I'm waiting to see what Hyundai offers as attachment points for the rectangular cutouts on the bed top edges. Someone posted a picture of a NON-Activity Package cab with the plastic roof rail cover piece removed. It appears the NON-Activity Package cabs don't have any attachment points to add the roof rails (?).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi all -

See a decent amount of success posts with the Thule roof rack which is great, but see no whisper/mention of anyone looking into a truck bed rack. Anyone know any news or have looked into installing one?
The thread below is a good discussion and mentions some bed racks that work with the T-Slots on the Tonneau cover.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all -

Couple things I can think of:
  • Would greatly help with the concerns of the "insecure mount due to smaller roof rack spacing" for kayaks, larger cargo carriers, etc
  • Install larger items such as a big rooftop tent
  • Would the built-in tonneau maybe come up as something that prevent being able to install one in the first place?
  • Drill-in vs. just clamp?
  • Tried looking at the "truck bed" integrity but am finding no resources
Would be great to know if anyone else has thought about this.
I just made my own.. Used Yakima Jetstream bars and made my own brackets out of Delrin ( They mount to the T Rails with carrige bolts) I'll post pictures in the AM..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm waiting to see what Hyundai offers as attachment points for the rectangular cutouts on the bed top edges. Someone posted a picture of a NON-Activity Package cab with the plastic roof rail cover piece removed. It appears the NON-Activity Package cabs don't have any attachment points to add the roof rails (?).
They are normal Stake pockets under the Rail cover.. Just cut them out.. Someone on here posted a picture from the factory of the frame with them.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
They are normal Stake pockets under the Rail cover.. Just cut them out.. Someone on here posted a picture from the factory of the frame with them.
I'm not going to be the first to "just cut them out" without instructions from Hyundai and details on how and what is available to attach in them. My SEL doesn't have the Activity Package with "T" slots, so these traditional stake pockets will likely come into play for me down the road. I'd sure would like to see more about this "apparent" build in feature from Hyundai.

If I was going to make something custom, I think I'd go with the same attachment points inside the bed that the OEM bed cover uses and have the metal wrap up and over the top bed edge for weight support.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
QUOTE="Crschol7, post: 175104, member: 15652"]
If you are the least bit handy it is easy.. Got a block of Delrin on EBAY for 28$.. Just need a table saw and a drill.. All the nuts and bolts are from Lowes.. All in including Yakima bars.. Appx 250$
[/QUOTE]

So you will have the blocks and hardware available for sale soon for $99.95? For people without table saws. haha

Great solution. Nice job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What hardware did you use inside the T-Rail? Looks like it needs to be M7, but the inside width would let a bolt or nut spin. Did you make some sort of long rectangle with threads?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The
I'm not going to be the first to "just cut them out" without instructions from Hyundai and details on how and what is available to attach in them. My SEL doesn't have the Activity Package with "T" slots, so these traditional stake pockets will likely come into play for me down the road. I'd sure would like to see more about this "apparent" build in feature from Hyundai.

If I was going to make something custom, I think I'd go with the same attachment points inside the bed that the OEM bed cover uses and have the metal wrap up and over the top bed edge for weight support.
There is a picture on one of the other threads that shows an actual picture of the body in the factory.. There are Stake pocket cutouts..

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There is a picture on one of the other threads that shows an actual picture of the body in the factory.. There are Stake pocket cutouts..
Correct.. if your curious the bed rail covers just pop off, they are clipped in.

More discussions and pictures are here:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Correct.. if your curious the bed rail covers just pop off, they are clipped in.

More discussions and pictures are here:
They do not come off easily if you have the Bed Cover..

·
Registered
155 Posts
What hardware did you use inside the T-Rail? Looks like it needs to be M7, but the inside width would let a bolt or nut spin. Did you make some sort of long rectangle with threads?
@ Crschol7
I have the same question as AndyJones. Would you be able to provide a parts list aside from Delrin? Did you use the UV stable Delrin 527?

·
Registered
64 Posts
@ Crschol7
I have the same question as AndyJones. Would you be able to provide a parts list aside from Delrin? Did you use the UV stable Delrin 527?
Inside the SC T Rail is 1/4x20 Carriage bolts.. The bolts to connect to the Jetstream lock slides are M6 socket head cap bolts.. All I know about the Delrin is that is CNC STUFF

·
Registered
64 Posts
The nuts that fit in the T Rails are 1/4x20 Carriage bolts.. Fit perfectly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Crschol7 basically a bed rack pioneer! You the man for the pics.

What I thought was very reassuring were the factory screenshots of the frame showing that it is definitely made so one can install the rack on it. The only thing left I'm worried about is finding the proper one so I can install a rooftop tent and take it offroading without it collapsing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts