Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tl;dr version...the Truck King guy's prefer the Santa Cruz over the Ridgeline,

You might want the Ridgeline if you need to put 3 infant seats in the back and prefer the excitement of squeezing an ATV into the bed as opposed to a using a trailer.
Exactly, and you can fit a ton more infant seats on a trailer.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
I'll stick with the Ridgeline for the much larger cargo area in the bed and in the hidden trunk, along with the two-way tailgate and the superior AWD system. Hyundai did a great job on the turbo version of the Santa Cruz

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I’ve never liked the styling inside or out of the RL. The brunk and tailgate are great but otherwise I’ll pass. I already have a mid-sizer and looking for something smaller. Basically I’m trying to downsize, so the RL would be a lateral and pointless move for me. I do not share this bigger is better mindset. I want a minimal truck in terms of size, not features… which is what the SC is.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll stick with the Ridgeline for the much larger cargo area in the bed and in the hidden trunk, along with the two-way tailgate. Hyundai did a great job on the Santa Cruz though.
No dampening on the tailgate though is the downside of the Ridgeline design, but I agree it does marry well with the deep trunk where you need to get close to reach to the bottom. I wonder if they just figured they'd get sued if they copied the spare tire, deeper design, and tailgate design from the Ridgeline because inspiration is one thing, and flat out turning in someone else's homework is another. Most pickups don't have it at all, so its still definitely a plus.

That said, none of that really bothers me, as I'm more about keeping my purchase to the $30K range, where the Ridgeline doesn't play and while the SC does. My only gripe actually is with the fuel economy of the base engine which is only mediocre and the unavailability of the turbo until you package in a lot of goodies with the SEL Premium package that inflates the price. Maybe some day they will make a Jessica Signature model, which will be a poor person's Tucson Hybrid Blue but in SC guise or a Canada "preferred" trim but with the US base model rear glass without the porthole at their price in the US which would be $32K USD which is still in my sweet spot. While I'm queen, I might also recommend they ditch cloth for an equally cheap cloth+pleather combo seat, or make it a cloth that has a bit of design in the center sections like GTI does plaid, and for the SEL Premium and Limited they should both be a pleather design IMO but should have more stitch work to go with their triangle theme like on the Kia Sorento (or something similar).

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
94 Posts
Haha! Sensitive bunch here. I have had my SC reservation longer than most. If Hyundai had executed it properly, I might very well have purchased a Santa Cruz. Been following it since it was first mentioned 6 years ago.
No worries. If I don't find a SC soon, I may be on here talking about my new Frontier. Looking better by the day! :unsure:

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
From the other side of ownership, I feel for you guys who are still searching. You're missing out on a little piece of awesome. But if I was dealing with the US 'order' system ... man, I'd probably have already ordered a personally-configured Maverick and been done with it.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
I find it funny that big truck guys say the Ridgeline isn't truck enough and the bed is too small. Now you have Ridgeline people saying the same about the SC. haha

Of my buddies that have seen my SC, most of them admit they really don't need a fullsize truck. Only 2 of them have a 8' bed. They use them almost daily as work trucks. Almost everyone else has the crew cab and 6.5' beds. Almost all of them said a 4" bed, like the SC has, would fit their needs. Interior space was more of their concern. It kind of mimics what the guys in the Truck Kind videos said.

Even some people I know that used to have big trucks for work that have switched over to the Dodge and Mercedes Sprinter vans. I think as more offerings are out there, the more it makes people look at what they really need. Which is hard when ego and 'wants' take over the decision process. haha

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
But if I was dealing with the US 'order' system ... man, I'd probably have already ordered a personally-configured Maverick and been done with it.
There is no saying that Ford's process will be bug free either. Ford has already run into some snags: UPDATE: Ford States Customers Can Order Maverick Hybrid & EcoBoost Through Their Dealers, Despite Reported Production Halt - The Fast Lane Truck those early adopters may not be able to test drive as Ford isn't building & shipping dealer stock, they are trying to move to a custom order process.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Even some people I know that used to have big trucks for work that have switched over to the Dodge and Mercedes Sprinter vans. I think as more offerings are out there, the more it makes people look at what they really need. Which is hard when ego and 'wants' take over the decision process. haha
Interesting that some of your friends switched to the vans. The 3 vehicles I was considering were: Santa Cruz, Grand Cherokee and Sprinter. The price level jumped $10K+ for each as I configured them they way I wanted. The Ridgeline was my #1 pick last year, but that all changed after an huge discount OTD $40K deal on a top of the line model went out the window with a stealership that didn't stick to their price once at the dealer. The Ridgeline only came into play at that much discounted price for me. $50K Grand Cherokee 4X4's can be had at huge discounts too, so they came into play at the SC Limited price point for me. With all that said, I'm happy with my SEL AWD 2.5L non-turbo at $30K and all that extra cash for adventures to come.

·
Registered
Limited
180 Posts
Interesting that some of your friends switched to the vans.
They use them for work. My guess is that a big part of the decision was due to security. Being outside of Chicago, theft of tools, ladders, products, and so on, can be an issue. With a van, you can lock it all up easily and not worry about what's in an open bed. Or by the time you outfit a truck with locking storage and bins, it may not be as ideal.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
There is no saying that Ford's process will be bug free either. Ford has already run into some snags: UPDATE: Ford States Customers Can Order Maverick Hybrid & EcoBoost Through Their Dealers, Despite Reported Production Halt - The Fast Lane Truck those early adopters may not be able to test drive as Ford isn't building & shipping dealer stock, they are trying to move to a custom order process.
Sure, they may not be sitting on dealer lots ... but you can at least ORDER ONE, configured the way you want it. How many on this forum would kill for a simple customize, order, pick it up at MSRP experience? From what I've read over the last few months, a whole lot.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Interesting that some of your friends switched to the vans. The 3 vehicles I was considering were: Santa Cruz, Grand Cherokee and Sprinter. The price level jumped $10K+ for each as I configured them they way I wanted. The Ridgeline was my #1 pick last year, but that all changed after an huge discount OTD $40K deal on a top of the line model went out the window with a stealership that didn't stick to their price once at the dealer. The Ridgeline only came into play at that much discounted price for me. $50K Grand Cherokee 4X4's can be had at huge discounts too, so they came into play at the SC Limited price point for me. With all that said, I'm happy with my SEL AWD 2.5L non-turbo at $30K and all that extra cash for adventures to come.
Had I decided on an SUV, the Grand Cherokee would have been my choice. My daughter has a 2020 that she loves and I've driven it many times. The 2022 refreshed models are coming out and look really nice. But in the end, a pickup bed was my way to go, and the SC is an awesome trucklet. Best of all worlds!

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
I find it funny that big truck guys say the Ridgeline isn't truck enough and the bed is too small. Now you have Ridgeline people saying the same about the SC. haha
I think the interesting thing is, the Ridgeline has been bashed since it's inception, in 2005 (2006 model) for not being a real truck, and now the Santa Cruz comes out, which is basically a Ridgeline clone (apart from the turbo) and everyone is praising it's virtues. They are basically the same: unibody, hidden trunk, great car-like ride, and practical. No complaints from me about either vehicle. Buy what you like.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sure, they may not be sitting on dealer lots ... but you can at least ORDER ONE, configured the way you want it. How many on this forum would kill for a simple customize, order, pick it up at MSRP experience? From what I've read over the last few months, a whole lot.
i was an early insider and the reservation system stinks, period. Now in a way i am glad as things turn out the way they are supposed to in the end. after reserving an SEL Premium in blue, i saw the blue and it wasn't for me. next i wanted to lease as i WFH now FT and went from 40K miles/ year to about 5K. And i thought it would get me into a Limited or something in between if there were new models easier than buying and trading in. Well because neither color or lease was a good option i figured i would purchase a limited in Hampton Grey, and seriously thinking of following the Mrs and having it wrapped in a Rust Orange. I found a dealer close to home that says they will honor MSRP and will even let me order any parts even if not available and when they come in install them for me (7-pin w/hitch, side molding, steps(i like the way they look). Now i wait, they have been told the vehicle is allocated but no VIN. i talked to hem last weekend and they check daily and will call the day there is movement. Currently they are expecting Nov now, pushed back from late Oct. I suspect it could slip more or move up depending on chips!
One thing this dealer has said is that they will mark it sold with my name on it before it ever gets posted on the dealer site so i will have first dibs. second is a REFUNDABLE deposit, love that. And heck if it gets pushed farther out maybe they will introduce a new color before it arrives and i will start over. I have a 2011 Sonata will 310k miles but she runs ok and i don't drive much anymore so i can wait.
Everyone makes a choice that is best for them but if you wanted a Santa Cruz and it was enough truck for you then it will be tomorrow. Everyone talks about back seats. Who are you putting back there? most people are putting kids or dogs and it is plenty big enough for them and if you have a family of 5 i'd be looking at a minivan. Been there done that. As someone mentioned as a work truck that hauls large stuff daily maybe a bigger truck makes sense. or you pile in all your work buddies each day for a commute, bigger truck makes sense. As posted and now noted many times most just really want bigger, and don't need it. Make a list and do the Pros and Cons and make the right choice. Dealers suck, especially these days but don't let them RUIN the right vehicle for you, no matter what it is. We all hate waiting, Canada had to wait months after us just because they are over the border but WBB and others got it and are finally playing in the mud and loving it! HSCE went through **** and then flew away and come home a very happy SC owner. I just hate seeing people hate or change their mind on the SC just because of the dealers. And remember HMA doesn't control dealers, they can't. They provide the vehicle. Something about it you don't like, like the price JAS is something to gripe about.. i agree it came in a few grand higher then i had hoped which is also why i thought i would go with premium. But the BSM, ACC, and surround view are three features i feel like i really want.
So i will make the money work. Now i wait and look and enjoy seeing everyone smile when they get theirs, and it's awesome reading all of your posts about your experiences and what you are doing. never had a magnetic plug in my Sonata but I will get one for the SC. Not an electrician(good friend is) and that new base in the back is on the list, the make shift heads up display worth testing, LED lighting if I want some in the trunk(bet that is an easy hookup), the list goes on, OH and RIMs, not right way but definitely. Anyhow keep posting and loving your SC.
Solk
PS Sorry for the long post but laid up in bed and can't sleep

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the interesting thing is, the Ridgeline has been bashed since it's inception, in 2005 (2006 model) for not being a real truck, and now the Santa Cruz comes out, which is basically a Ridgeline clone (apart from the turbo) and everyone is praising it's virtues. They are basically the same: unibody, hidden trunk, great car-like ride, and practical. No complaints from me about either vehicle. Buy what you like.
As a former owner of a 2006 Ridgeline and a 2003 Baja I feel you are incorrect about comparing vehicles. The Ridgeline is a much larger vehicle than both the Baja and SC. Also the second generation Ridgeline was totally ruined in style by Honda. The first gen was bold and tough; the second gen is sanitized into looking like any other truck. The Baja and the SC are definitely more car like and smaller.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts