Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it appears the final number that Hyundai has released is 281hp for the 2.5T, which is quite respectable considering its on 87 octane recommended fuel.

That makes me think it has even more overhead available if tuned for 93 octane.

For example, the Ford Ranger 2.3T is rated for a similar 270hp on recommended 87 octane, but the factory will retune your vehicle for you (all under warranty) to 320hp just using maps optimized for 93 octane. That makes me think that the 2.5T should also likewise easily hit 320hp with a mild tune on 93 with plenty of safety margin.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That makes me think that the 2.5T should also likewise easily hit 320hp with a mild tune on 93 with plenty of safety margin.
I'm betting yes. I've intaked, Tuned, and BOV'd my new Veloster and I'm estimating 325 hp out of it's 2 liter turbo. (it's pretty freaky fast) Similar efforts on the 2.5 should put it in a similar territory

·
Registered
221 Posts
If anyone will offer it, probably be Burger Tuning.
Had a JB4 installed in an Infiniti, made a big difference in performance and driveability. Before deciding to pass on the Santa Cruz that was one of the first things I planned on doing. Plus installation was easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This tuning process? When ordering a SC, should this be something asked beforehand? Or is this like dynoing a vehicle?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This tuning process? When ordering a SC, should this be something asked beforehand? Or is this like dynoing a vehicle?
A tuner would sell or use a tool that you plug into the OBD2 port of the car in order to reflash it (most functionality this way, but invalidates warranty) or what's called a "piggy back" kit, where the good ones at least comes with a Hyundai wiring harness that plugs into various ports under the hood before plugging its output into the ECU to intercept and modify signals to "trick" it into making more boost. Nice thing with piggy back is that if you have to bring it in to Hyundai, you simply unplug it, and there is no way for Hyundai to know you had a piggy back installed as everything remains stock the second you unplug it and it doesn't go into the logs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A tuner would sell or use a tool that you plug into the OBD2 port of the car in order to reflash it (most functionality this way, but invalidates warranty) or what's called a "piggy back" kit, where the good ones at least comes with a Hyundai wiring harness that plugs into various ports under the hood before plugging its output into the ECU to intercept and modify signals to "trick" it into making more boost. Nice thing with piggy back is that if you have to bring it in to Hyundai, you simply unplug it, and there is no way for Hyundai to know you had a piggy back installed as everything remains stock the second you unplug it and it doesn't go into the logs.
For the Infiniti you just had to remove the connectors going to the 2 turbos, plug the JB4 into those and the connectors that originally went to the turbos plug into the JB4. They do have an option where you can program the ECU, I kept it simple; having previously lost engines due to mods those days are over. Didn't even need to be removed for state emissions testing. The Cruz with a single turbo will be even simpler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts