Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it appears the final number that Hyundai has released is 281hp for the 2.5T, which is quite respectable considering its on 87 octane recommended fuel.

That makes me think it has even more overhead available if tuned for 93 octane.

For example, the Ford Ranger 2.3T is rated for a similar 270hp on recommended 87 octane, but the factory will retune your vehicle for you (all under warranty) to 320hp just using maps optimized for 93 octane. That makes me think that the 2.5T should also likewise easily hit 320hp with a mild tune on 93 with plenty of safety margin.

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
767 Posts
If anyone will offer it, probably be Burger Tuning.

·
Registered
Hampton Gray SEL Premium
262 Posts
That makes me think that the 2.5T should also likewise easily hit 320hp with a mild tune on 93 with plenty of safety margin.
I'm betting yes. I've intaked, Tuned, and BOV'd my new Veloster and I'm estimating 325 hp out of it's 2 liter turbo. (it's pretty freaky fast) Similar efforts on the 2.5 should put it in a similar territory

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had a JB4 installed in an Infiniti, made a big difference in performance and driveability. Before deciding to pass on the Santa Cruz that was one of the first things I planned on doing. Plus installation was easy.

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
767 Posts
This tuning process? When ordering a SC, should this be something asked beforehand? Or is this like dynoing a vehicle?
There are aftermarket ECU tuning systems. This can either be accomplished by reprogramming the ECU, or by installing a module between the ECU and vehicle sensors.
Some good info for you here: JB4 Frequently Asked Questions

Reactions: Amorianir

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This tuning process? When ordering a SC, should this be something asked beforehand? Or is this like dynoing a vehicle?
A tuner would sell or use a tool that you plug into the OBD2 port of the car in order to reflash it (most functionality this way, but invalidates warranty) or what's called a "piggy back" kit, where the good ones at least comes with a Hyundai wiring harness that plugs into various ports under the hood before plugging its output into the ECU to intercept and modify signals to "trick" it into making more boost. Nice thing with piggy back is that if you have to bring it in to Hyundai, you simply unplug it, and there is no way for Hyundai to know you had a piggy back installed as everything remains stock the second you unplug it and it doesn't go into the logs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A tuner would sell or use a tool that you plug into the OBD2 port of the car in order to reflash it (most functionality this way, but invalidates warranty) or what's called a "piggy back" kit, where the good ones at least comes with a Hyundai wiring harness that plugs into various ports under the hood before plugging its output into the ECU to intercept and modify signals to "trick" it into making more boost. Nice thing with piggy back is that if you have to bring it in to Hyundai, you simply unplug it, and there is no way for Hyundai to know you had a piggy back installed as everything remains stock the second you unplug it and it doesn't go into the logs.
For the Infiniti you just had to remove the connectors going to the 2 turbos, plug the JB4 into those and the connectors that originally went to the turbos plug into the JB4. They do have an option where you can program the ECU, I kept it simple; having previously lost engines due to mods those days are over. Didn't even need to be removed for state emissions testing. The Cruz with a single turbo will be even simpler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So it appears the final number that Hyundai has released is 281hp for the 2.5T, which is quite respectable considering its on 87 octane recommended fuel.

For example, the Ford Ranger 2.3T is rated for a similar 270hp on recommended 87 octane, but the factory will retune your vehicle for you (all under warranty) to 320hp just using maps optimized for 93 octane. That makes me think that the 2.5T should also likewise easily hit 320hp with a mild tune on 93 with plenty of safety margin.
Had a JB4 installed in an Infiniti, made a big difference in performance and driveability. Before deciding to pass on the Santa Cruz that was one of the first things I planned on doing. Plus installation was easy.
For the Infiniti you just had to remove the connectors going to the 2 turbos, plug the JB4 into those and the connectors that originally went to the turbos plug into the JB4. They do have an option where you can program the ECU, I kept it simple; having previously lost engines due to mods those days are over. Didn't even need to be removed for state emissions testing. The Cruz with a single turbo will be even simpler.
I'll apologize in advance; I'm a '21 Sorento owner. However, I have the same engine as your Santa Cruz and am looking around for anything made "for" the other models that hasn't been publicized as for the Sorento.

I have the JB4 tune from Burger Motorsports for our 2.5T and can say it is worth it. I've logged 22 psi on this guy on Map 2! No dyno results, but the GV70 has a +65hp run on a custom tune from Burger on e20, but the GV70 has the e93 tune from the factory giving it a stock 300hp mark. I know I'm not in that range on e93. I'd guess +20hp. No local AWD dyno's will allow me to pull without letting them perform a tune. I've been running it for over 5K miles on Map 2 with 93 octane and have only a few, very minor, complaints:
  • The piggyback tune is slightly difficult to install (based on other JB4 installs I've done) due to the location of one of the sensors down on the diverter valve housing.
  • The lack of OEM connectors is a pain in the install, but Burger claims they will provide these once available to anyone who previously purchased the BETA tune.
  • My iPhone app recently began only reporting Map and Boost communication from the ECU and I've been awaiting support.
  • After switching to a conical air filter (for almost all of the 5K miles I've had on the tune), while learning and understanding log files, I've found I have boost oscillation in my high-end boost range. Talking with [email protected] (the guy), he suggested going back to the stock intake housing and it has solved that problem and given a smooth powerband. I also kept my SharkRacing BOV to continue to enjoy the Swoosh of boost. (If you're stock and switch to a conical AF you'll hear a great amount of turbo spool and the stock diverter valves release)

·
Registered
8 Posts
So all I've seen are mostly people talking about the turbo version on all these different forums, so my question falls along the same topic of this specific thread, but with the base engine. has anyone done anything to increase performance on the base engine that doesn't have the turbo?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Most NA power plants are pretty optimized from the factory these days so a tune will not do much unless there are other supporting mods (exhaust, intake, maybe even cams). Turbos on other hand are easier to tune for more power by just increasing the boost and timing so you'll see more aftermarket support for this power plant The SC turbo is used in other H/K models and caters to more performance orientated buyers which further explains the focus on this engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most NA power plants are pretty optimized from the factory these days so a tune will not do much unless there are other supporting mods (exhaust, intake, maybe even cams). Turbos on other hand are easier to tune for more power by just increasing the boost and timing so you'll see more aftermarket support for this power plant The SC turbo is used in other H/K models and caters to more performance orientated buyers which further explains the focus on this engine.
Got it. I'm used to this topic with power commanders on motorcycles, so I was curious how different (or in this case similar) It was when it came to tuning cars with stock exhaust, intake, etc. I just don't see paying an over 11k just to get a the turbo, but I guess that's also because I don't make that much
:LOL: Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
90 Posts

If you change the tune you are opening a can of worms because you give the dealer to turn down warranty work,even if you set it back to stock they can tell.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Ice White
11 Posts
I'll apologize in advance; I'm a '21 Sorento owner. However, I have the same engine as your Santa Cruz and am looking around for anything made "for" the other models that hasn't been publicized as for the Sorento.

I have the JB4 tune from Burger Motorsports for our 2.5T and can say it is worth it. I've logged 22 psi on this guy on Map 2! No dyno results, but the GV70 has a +65hp run on a custom tune from Burger on e20, but the GV70 has the e93 tune from the factory giving it a stock 300hp mark. I know I'm not in that range on e93. I'd guess +20hp. No local AWD dyno's will allow me to pull without letting them perform a tune. I've been running it for over 5K miles on Map 2 with 93 octane and have only a few, very minor, complaints:
  • The piggyback tune is slightly difficult to install (based on other JB4 installs I've done) due to the location of one of the sensors down on the diverter valve housing.
  • The lack of OEM connectors is a pain in the install, but Burger claims they will provide these once available to anyone who previously purchased the BETA tune.
  • My iPhone app recently began only reporting Map and Boost communication from the ECU and I've been awaiting support.
  • After switching to a conical air filter (for almost all of the 5K miles I've had on the tune), while learning and understanding log files, I've found I have boost oscillation in my high-end boost range. Talking with [email protected] (the guy), he suggested going back to the stock intake housing and it has solved that problem and given a smooth powerband. I also kept my SharkRacing BOV to continue to enjoy the Swoosh of boost. (If you're stock and switch to a conical AF you'll hear a great amount of turbo spool and the stock diverter valves release)
Awesome information I have only had my SC for about 1400 miles so far but I wanted to learn more found 2 turbo mufflers and by swapping to aftermarket IC piping and intake piping it will get rid of them. Im going to mess mess with exhaust this weekend and see what I can do to increase sound since the other models with the 2.5t sound awesome

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited
255 Posts
Anyone do the JB4 for the Santa Cruz? I tend to lean to OEM solutions and will likely wait for a N-Line or the KIA EV variant, but I am curious since this sounds to be a easy plug n play solution.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was one of the first people to install a JB4 on my 2.5t Santa Cruz. Can’t say it made much of a difference on my truck. I’ve taken it off since then and will be getting a dyno tune from BTR, they did my 3.3t G70 and that car is a beast.

If anyone want to buy my JB4, it’s for sale. Half price.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did, I’ll sell ya mine if you want it.

Anyone do the JB4 for the Santa Cruz? I tend to lean to OEM solutions and will likely wait for a N-Line or the KIA EV variant, but I am curious since this sounds to be a easy plug n play solution.

·
Registered
Limited
317 Posts
I was one of the first people to install a JB4 on my 2.5t Santa Cruz. Can’t say it made much of a difference on my truck. I’ve taken it off since then and will be getting a dyno tune from BTR, they did my 3.3t G70 and that car is a beast.

If anyone want to buy my JB4, it’s for sale. Half price.
Have you talked to them about the lazy launch the SC has? If they have experience tuning the SC yet or will be trying to figure it out with your SC?

Interested to see the results and your feedback on the tune.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts