Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite the U.S and South Korea coming to a free trade agreement, it looks like there may be some negative impacts for the auto industry. Those in Hyundai's union are quite upset that a steep tariff on Korean built pickups, which was set to expire in 2021 under the previous agreement, has now been renewed for another 20 years. That being said, nothing is stopping Hyundai from building a pickup on U.S soil, but that's easier said than done. Hyundai's Alabama facilities are currently building the Sonata, Elantra and Santa Fe, so perhaps we may see an expansion there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Haven't they been exporting vehicles from their plant in Korea the past few years in spite of the tariff? Id' assume Hyundai couldn't have built everything in the States. This means there's still a chance for the Santa Cruz, though it could end up costing more than expected

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but I don't think they'd be able to afford the tariffs on a brand new vehicle, at least not if they want to price it competitively. Basically just means that if they do decide to follow through with the Santa Cruz that its going to cost everybody.

·
Registered
113 Posts
At this rate, North America won't see the Santa Cruz for another 20 years and by then Hyundai would have updated everything to reflect the market at that time. Can see why Hyundai isn't happy because the States is the land of pickup buyers and their sales could use that boost.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They should just continue to focus on crossovers and their new performance N models. I have a feeling that the Kona will do extremely well for them, and the upcoming electric variant is showing some pretty significant figures. It's a shame about the pickup because I really feel like the segment could use a more compact pickup. Even the new Ranger is too big for a midsize.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Ranger is also very expensive so I feel like there is plenty of room for a new model that slots underneath it. $44k is a big ask, especially when something like the Tacoma has way better resale value.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Ranger starts at $24k.

American buyers aren't going to want something much smaller than today's midsize trucks. Which is why the Santa Cruz is supposedly going to be a crew cab with four fullsize doors. It should still be compact though so compared to midsize trucks it should be smaller in all dimensions.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would like to see Mercedes offer some luxury style features because with the new Mercedes X-Class, demand for luxury will grow in this segment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The problem with "luxury trucks" is that they still have to be based on established brands and nameplates to be accepted by Americans. An upper trim Platinum F150, Denali GMC, etc are still based on basic work trucks which is very important for the image luxury truck buyers are trying to portray - "I've made it, but I'm still hard working".

That is why trucks like the Lincoln Blackwood or Cadillac EXT never really caught on, and also why Mercedes knows the X-Class would never stand a chance in the US.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The problem with "luxury trucks" is that they still have to be based on established brands and nameplates to be accepted by Americans. An upper trim Platinum F150, Denali GMC, etc are still based on basic work trucks which is very important for the image luxury truck buyers are trying to portray - "I've made it, but I'm still hard working".

That is why trucks like the Lincoln Blackwood or Cadillac EXT never really caught on, and also why Mercedes knows the X-Class would never stand a chance in the US.
I don't mind that at all. Seen it play out in the new Toyota Highlander which gets luxurious enough to me and Hyundai taking that approach could mean a new niche.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts