Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the limited version, android auto is a wired only "feature". There is only one USB connector with data transfer to the infotainment system. I keep a tiny thumb drive plugged in there for playing endless music.
AA works if plugged into car USB. Thumb drive works if plugged into car USB. So the problem is that two things cannot be plugged in at the same time. Not too happy to be plugging and unplugging things all the time.

I thought that a USB hub might solve this. I tried one, hub plugged into car, one cable from hub to phone, nothing else plugged into hub. AA would not initialize or start. Maybe the hub I have is just funky? Wondering if anyone else could try theirs and see if it works. If mine did work, then I wanted to plug the thumb drive into the hub, and see if music would play with\without AA active.

Second thought was to use some sort of bluetooth audio player. But phone is connected via bluetooth. Can there be 2 connected at the same time? Wondering about being able to change songs or playlists via the radio screen.

The last option might be to put music on the phone, but I'm not too thrilled to do that. Have not tried to play mp3's like that yet. Does it even work?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
On the limited version, android auto is a wired only "feature". There is only one USB connector with data transfer to the infotainment system. I keep a tiny thumb drive plugged in there for playing endless music.
AA works if plugged into car USB. Thumb drive works if plugged into car USB. So the problem is that two things cannot be plugged in at the same time. Not too happy to be plugging and unplugging things all the time.

I thought that a USB hub might solve this. I tried one, hub plugged into car, one cable from hub to phone, nothing else plugged into hub. AA would not initialize or start. Maybe the hub I have is just funky? Wondering if anyone else could try theirs and see if it works. If mine did work, then I wanted to plug the thumb drive into the hub, and see if music would play with\without AA active.

Second thought was to use some sort of bluetooth audio player. But phone is connected via bluetooth. Can there be 2 connected at the same time? Wondering about being able to change songs or playlists via the radio screen.

The last option might be to put music on the phone, but I'm not too thrilled to do that. Have not tried to play mp3's like that yet. Does it even work?
I ordered a USB hub for this same reason... My cell doesn't project for AA so it needs plugged in.. and I like you I have music on a USB The hub should be here today with a 1 ft long USB to "C" cord so that when my cell is plugged in I don't have 2 ft of extra cord floating around lol.
I'll update when I try it tonight....

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
67 Posts
Hate to break it to you guys, but hubs aren’t going to work. Either get all your music from your phone and use AA (or CarPlay) exclusively, or keep using your USB stick and use the car’s nav system.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Would a powered USB hub work?
Normally these car systems are 1-to-1 since there is nothing in UI to switch between sources. IE: your music source is AM, FM, satellite and USB, not USB 1, USB 2, etc. To avoid unplugging you can get a switched hub: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Indi...tches+and+Power+Adapter&qid=1635961543&sr=8-3 turn all the ports off, then just turn on the one you want to use. This way the USB stick and phone card is always plugged in and you can toggle as needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Hate to break it to you guys, but hubs aren’t going to work. Either get all your music from your phone and use AA (or CarPlay) exclusively, or keep using your USB stick and use the car’s nav system.
So what to do with the SEL PREMIUM and a passenger in the back who needs to charge their phone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.