Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted earlier on my woes with the reservation system. I finally had a real talk with the sales rep at my dealer this morning, as my putting my name on the ice white with gray Limited headed their way did get their attention.

She called to tell me someone beat me to it, yes, the boss wants that one. So I hatched a potential plan.

He keeps vehicles for about 5k miles and puts them back on the lot for the next new toy. That will take about 5 months. In a non-crazy market, that would mean just a few months from now I could have the configuration I want with a big chunk of the depreciation hit taken by the dealer. And it's going to be one that has a responsible shakedown done on it already. If I know it's coming, I've got no problem with that wait, so patience isn't an issue.

Risks to me: the market is so crazy that depreciation doesn't exist 6 months from now. Or I lose something in warranty or some other benefit from new.

So here's my questions: What pitfalls am I setting myself up for? In general, what am I going to lose out on by buying lightly used vs new? And in this crazy economy, is it a dumb move to try to count on the price being reasonable? Any other holes I'm not thinking about? Should I set my course to this plan or keep trying to work the concierge to get a new one headed my way somehow?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've posted earlier on my woes with the reservation system. I finally had a real talk with the sales rep at my dealer this morning, as my putting my name on the ice white with gray Limited headed their way did get their attention.

She called to tell me someone beat me to it, yes, the boss wants that one. So I hatched a potential plan.

He keeps vehicles for about 5k miles and puts them back on the lot for the next new toy. That will take about 5 months. In a non-crazy market, that would mean just a few months from now I could have the configuration I want with a big chunk of the depreciation hit taken by the dealer. And it's going to be one that has a responsible shakedown done on it already. If I know it's coming, I've got no problem with that wait, so patience isn't an issue.

Risks to me: the market is so crazy that depreciation doesn't exist 6 months from now. Or I lose something in warranty or some other benefit from new.

So here's my questions: What pitfalls am I setting myself up for? In general, what am I going to lose out on by buying lightly used vs new? And in this crazy economy, is it a dumb move to try to count on the price being reasonable? Any other holes I'm not thinking about? Should I set my course to this plan or keep trying to work the concierge to get a new one headed my way somehow?
You may get some discount. Though not allot. As that car will still be considered new not used.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
514 Posts
You won't actually be saving much money because you will have a higher finance rate. On top of that you lose the 10yr/100K mile warranty. I seriously doubt that the used car price for the SC will be much different than the new car price - just a thousand dollars or two in discount.

It might be worth a shot though, if the color/trim is hard to come by.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may get some discount. Though not allot. As that car will still be considered new not used.
How is that new? If so, that's no plan at all other than being able to get the currently rare spec.

10 year 100k mile power train warranty only applies to the first owner
This is the info I need, thanks.

You won't actually be saving much money because you will have a higher finance rate. On top of that you lose the 10yr/100K mile warranty. I seriously doubt that the used car price for the SC will be much different than the new car price - just a thousand dollars or two in discount.

It might be worth a shot though, if the color/trim is hard to come by.
Ouch. Yes, so far there have been I think 27 ice white with gray Limited produced, and a chunk of those went to the Hyundai corporate fleet.

If there's no real discount involved, it's really not worth risking the warranty issues. The Hyundai warranty is one of the reasons I still want one even though it's a first model year, because they at least project that they will stand behind it.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Sounds like it might not be the win I thought it was this morning.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wondered the same thing. The two links I provided above are for SEL Premium trim. Maybe the owners moved on up to the Limited?

Hard to say. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, that's possible. My curiousity stems from the fact I have the SEL Premium also. Before buying, I went back and forth about whether to spend the extra $4k for the Limited. There were individual features that I really liked including the adaptive cruise, leather seats and blind spot monitors. However, when added all together it didn't seem like it was worth the extra $4k. After owning it for two weeks, I've thought about it a few times, but still happy I went with the SEL Premium, at least for me. But I can see where other buyers may have had buyers remorse and sprung for the Limited.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if it's new, it should have new car finance rate and new car warranty. If it's not new and not cheaper, well, there will be others. That's my logic, anyway.

I wouldn't put down any non-refundable money without a deal in writing. I want what I want but it's not the end of the world if I don't get it now.

·
Registered
411 Posts

The pitfall is you are compromising. Why? Just order the SC you want... why accept a dealer demo that has been beat like rented mule to save what???

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pitfall is you are compromising. Why? Just order the SC you want... why accept a dealer demo that has been beat like rented mule to save what???
I'd be pleased as punch if I could get them to order the **** thing.

Part of my real talk with the dealer this morning was that she had me down for a blue stone SEL premium but they didn't have any information or an allocation yet. August 11 was when she told me she ordered me a blue stone limited, after I test drove the limited they got in I told her I wanted to step up to that trim and she said "I know, I ordered you one yesterday". Never discussed that I couldn't get the gray interior in blue stone. It was because she didn't put in for a limited.

Hyundai has made this so everything is a compromise, at least in my boat.

I'll have about six months to work on this. And I hear they aren't moving in Texas. I'm in Louisiana so maybe I can find a dealer with allocation that can order me what I want. Or I can compromise with what's in stock. I've pretty much decided black interior is a no go, and the gray is pretty rare on the Limited trim so far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
10 year 100k mile power train warranty only applies to the first owner
I've heard that before. My sister in law bought a used Kia and the warranty did not come with it. What I don't know is if the 5 year 60000 mile warranty is also effected??? I know I have bought one or two year old vehicles and the manufacturer's original 3 year 36000 mile warranty was still in effect.

·
Registered
Santa Cruz - Searching...
96 Posts
I've pretty much decided black interior is a no go, and the gray is pretty rare on the Limited trim so far.
I can vouch for that! Watching what is coming into the Houston, the Limited are Black/Black. Don’t want either of those.

Reactions: 12V

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
514 Posts
You won't lose the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty if it's a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.
Which only happens if you purchase from a Hyundai dealer and they will increase the selling price accordingly to certify the vehicle. That "used" SC will probably be advertised right at or near MSRP. The 5 yr/60K mile warranty is not affected by a transfer of ownership.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can vouch for that! Watching what is coming into the Houston, the Limited are Black/Black. Don’t want either of those.
Yep. Black exterior is completely out of the question, and I really don't want black interior either. Considering they build them in the south you'd think they realize that black is hot.

So that leaves me with ice white or sage gray, and though the sage gray isn't worth the upcharge to me, maybe I just consider it an upcharge for a non black interior. If I could get blue stone with a gray interior I'd be done. Canadians don't have such restrictions from what I can see.

At the moment I halfway plan on getting a white one and dipping it to something close to Chevy's Oasis Blue down the line.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts