Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a truck with the OEM bed extender. I then ordered an after market tonneau cover (as the Hyundai dealer said there isn't an OEM option available). They went to install it today and discovered that when the bed extender flips, it hits the tonneau cover rails. So I have been left with the choice of one or the other.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, did you find a solution.

Any info helps.

Thanks!
Eugene

·
Registered
386 Posts
I looked to see what I could find for using the bed extender. Most also have the tonneau cover, too. Most seemed to have the extender flipped inward. They put groceries or toolboxes between the end gate and the bed extender to keep either from migrating forward. They pulled the tonneau cover over it for protection against wind, weather, and theft. I guess some do use the bed extender with the tailgate down to haul something longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Phil, thanks for the response. The dealer told me when they went to install the tonneau cover that if the bed extender is flipped in, it can't be flipped out as it hits the rails for the tonneau cover, regardless if the tonneau cover is open or closed - its the rail that gets in the way.

-E

·
Registered
386 Posts
I do not know what options you have for reversing the bed extender when tonneau rails are in place. I had a bed extender from the factory and it was a little tricky to remove and reinstall even without a tonneau cover. I was disappointed to learn the mounts for the bed extender block more than one 4 x 8 sheet of building material in the bed. Using blocks to raise additional sheets would be a solution. I sold my bed extender.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, I specifically bought this with the bed extender so I could still easily move my kayaks. I had to forgo the tonneau cover at this time. I think if they made a bed extender where the outside bars curved in, rather than out, it could swing out and in without interfering with the rails, but then may lose some structural integrity.
-E

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
The factory tonneau rails don't intrude into the bed. I didn't want the bed extender but had to get it as that's what came on my SC. The way it inserts and removes if tonneau rails interfere with flipping it out they probably also prevent even removing it.

Surely the OEM tonneau can be sourced form somewhere. Someone has to be the maker of that, it can't be Hyundai. From the dealer it's probably an arm and a leg if you could even get it, but it may be only an arm or a leg from the tonneau maker.

You might also be able to use a tri fold tonneau that would sit on top of the bed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mountain Top makes the factory cover, but the cover they make for the Hyundai Santa Cruz is exclusively OEM and not available as an aftermarket item. Mountain Top USA
Thanks for all the replies-
Gary, essentially what youre saying is I would have to have ordered it with one of these? (Unfortunately I bought mine used). Any thoughts on if they may make an after market one in the future?

Thanks again
-E

·
Registered
285 Posts
I recently purchased a truck with the OEM bed extender. I then ordered an after market tonneau cover (as the Hyundai dealer said there isn't an OEM option available). They went to install it today and discovered that when the bed extender flips, it hits the tonneau cover rails. So I have been left with the choice of one or the other.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, did you find a solution.

Any info helps.

Thanks!
Eugene
The Xterra bed extender has these removable cone shaped rubber caps on the top and bottom of the extender. I left the caps off of the top of the extender so that when it folds into the bed, the tonneau closes properly. It also doesn't create any extra noise in the bed when folded in given no rubber bumpers. Works well.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
113 Posts
Thanks for all the replies-
Gary, essentially what youre saying is I would have to have ordered it with one of these? (Unfortunately I bought mine used). Any thoughts on if they may make an after market one in the future?

Thanks again
-E
It couldn't hurt to go to mountain top and inquire with one of their dealers or with them. If you're in the southeastern us you might even have a dealer local to you. They may be contractually obligated with Hyundai to keep it exclusive but it wouldn't hurt for them to know there's interest in the aftermarket.

They also have to be available as dealer parts for repairs, etc, but I think I saw numbers on this forum before and they were truly an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, guess I'm glad the seller on ebay jerked me around. I bought the bed extender, and the next day the seller canceled. I've got a tonneau on mine, that I'd really not want to remove. Thanks for posting this, now I'll stop thinking about the extender.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Sage Gray (non turbo)
211 Posts
Well, guess I'm glad the seller on ebay jerked me around. I bought the bed extender, and the next day the seller canceled. I've got a tonneau on mine, that I'd really not want to remove. Thanks for posting this, now I'll stop thinking about the extender.
Agree. You can’t miss what you never had. I definitely would not gone to buy one if it didn’t come with the truck.

Gusto!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts