Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The above YouTube playlist has many of the features that the SC shares with the Tuscon to give you an idea of how things like Lane Keeping Assist and Smart Cruise Control work.

This videos shows those features work together during a heavy traffic commute and some highway driving. Its pretty impressive tech.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had no idea that lane assistance actually steered the vehicle. Thought it was just a warning system. Way too much tech for me. Sorry, everyone is very different when it comes to all this driving assistance quasi auto-pilot BS. Not for me at all!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Yeah, our Equinox has that steering assist stuff too. Honestly, I normally turn it off as soon as I remember it's active on the highway. It doesn't do much in town, but on the open road, I always feel like I'm fighting the steering wheel. Especially on curves, where I like to hug an inside line and it wants to make you lane centered. It's nice on long stretches of interstate though ... not that I've seen one in a very long time now. They need to get that border reopened!

·
Registered
724 Posts
A little side story relating to technology assistance in cars these days...

I owned a Porsche Boxster S with a wonderful automatic transmission and traction control. That car handled very well and was easily corrected manually when it misbehaved (or should I say I misbehaved?), because of the excellent front to rear weight balance. When I first got it and was learning the car, I was ripping a little stripe of two lane curvy road leading over a pass to my ranch house. That road always collects road particles on the outer edge of the pavement and when you'd get wide you'd slide or the tail would drift. The first time that happened is this new car to me, I reacted like I always do with a slight counter steer as the rear started moving. To my surprise, the traction control kicked on and it almost sent me off a cliff with its' "smart" braking assist. That scared the holy :poop: out of me! I had to immediately lift the throttle and steer back, which is what the traction control apparently wanted, and it pulled me out. Needless to say, from that point forward anytime I wanted to drive it like a sports car I turned off the traction control, so I was in control and not the braindead vehicle computer.

Technological safety features can work very well in normal driving conditions, but when you are pushing a car those same feature can be counter to what is actually needed. On fast cars which offer both, it's best to learn how that particular car reacts in both modes. I prefer to be the driver of my own car, not the passenger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had no idea that lane assistance actually steered the vehicle. Thought it was just a warning system. Way too much tech for me. Sorry, everyone is very different when it comes to all this driving assistance quasi auto-pilot BS. Not for me at all!
Agreed, I can’t stand all the tech taking over cars. Really hoping the SC will allow the assists to be “permanently” turned off in the vehicle settings. Turning them off every time you get in the car will be annoying.

·
Registered
TBD
49 Posts
It's hilarious to see the older folks complaining about the tech in cars. Reminds me of my grandfather refusing to buy a car with a CD player because "the old stuff sounds better." I guess most young people aren't on forums nowadays. The technology is by far the number one thing I like about the SC over all other trucks on the market. Can someone explain to me why you would pick the SC over any other truck on the market if you do not like tech? There are so many cheaper, more capable options. The only advantage the SC has is the looks (subjective) and the technology. I drive an hour to work each day and I want the driver assistance features. They really do cut down on the stress and make the commute less mentally taxing. The only 3 trucks on the market that have any kind of adaptive cruise is the Ram 1500 which has no steering assist, Ranger which has no steering assist, and the F-150 which requires options to get the price to $55K.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your definition of “tech” is too broad. Even us oldsters appreciate tech in engines that squeeze 311 ft lbs of torque out of a 4 banger and a DCT auto trans that yields better performance than a stick. I understand that it is comforting to trust a smart tech nanny to maintain situational awareness and make needed corrections. Especially for those who can’t ignore their texts and social media while driving.

But your skills at handling the unexpected atrophy when you let a computer make your decisions. Much like those who rely totally on GPS are lost trying to find their way without it. A good experienced driver can spot trouble far beyond the reach of a nanny cam. Maybe someday when we have better integrated traffic satellite to vehicle commo human control will be unnecessary. But we aint there yet.

P. S. Please list some of those “cheaper, more capable” trucks? Under $35K with better performance, reliability and comfort? I can’t think of one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's hilarious to see the older folks complaining about the tech in cars. Reminds me of my grandfather refusing to buy a car with a CD player because "the old stuff sounds better." I guess most young people aren't on forums nowadays. The technology is by far the number one thing I like about the SC over all other trucks on the market. Can someone explain to me why you would pick the SC over any other truck on the market if you do not like tech? There are so many cheaper, more capable options. The only advantage the SC has is the looks (subjective) and the technology. I drive an hour to work each day and I want the driver assistance features. They really do cut down on the stress and make the commute less mentally taxing. The only 3 trucks on the market that have any kind of adaptive cruise is the Ram 1500 which has no steering assist, Ranger which has no steering assist, and the F-150 which requires options to get the price to $55K.
I think this has a lot more to do with liking to drive/confidence with driving/etc than it does with age. I’ve driven cars with all the “tech” you speak of (what you’re really referencing are driver assistance features) and for me, those just adds a layer of fog between driver and car. I want to be in control, I’m a better decision maker than a car that doesn’t have the feel for a situation, programmed to have canned responses.

As for the SC, driver tech isn’t even on my list of reasons to buy. Size, style, (perceived) drivability and usability. I do enjoy the other “tech” as well, like LED lighting, digital cluster, wireless CarPlay, and turbo engine option.
(I’m 36, btw)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To my surprise, the traction control kicked on and it almost sent me off a cliff with its' "smart" braking assist. That scared the holy :poop: out of me! I had to immediately lift the throttle and steer back, which is what the traction control apparently wanted, and it pulled me out. Needless to say, from that point forward anytime I wanted to drive it like a sports car I turned off the traction control, so I was in control and not the braindead vehicle computer.
As someone who instructs HPDE drivers on track this is the OPPOSITE of my experience. Modern traction control systems are way better at driving then you are. Unless you have thousands of hours behind the wheel at the limit I would keep traction control on. Almost everyone I've talked to at a track who bent up a car started the conversation with "well I turned off the stupid traction control and..."

As for the driving aids, per the manual, they can all be turned off if desired. In fact the more invasive ones (like lane keeping) have to be turned on specifically.

Personally I am looking forward to being able to eat a sandwich while the car keeps me in my lane, especially on long boring road trips where fatigue sets in when its mile after mile of nothingness. In fact radar cruise was on my list of must haves because there is nothing worse then constantly playing leap frog with someone who keeps going 5 mph too fast or slow in front of you. Maybe its because I tow a boat on the highway (typically 200 miles each weekend) but I've noticed everyone passes you very quickly but then immediately slows down once they get ahead of you. Drives me crazy!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
The ONE time I very consistently disable traction control is when there's reasonably deep snow. It got my wife stuck on our street (90 degree turns on a steep hill) before. Wheels started to spin, engine cut power ... exactly the opposite of how you cut through snow and keep momentum. Plus, I like to pin the throttle and power through turns a bit. LOL But it's predictable when my foot is in control ... when the vehicle starts doing things against what I'm actively trying to accomplish, not a fan. Normal conditions though, it's fine. Light ice and whatnot? Great stuff.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The tech that worries me is the "Collision Mitigation." I keep reading these stories -- not often, but fairly regularly -- that go like this:

I was driving along, everything was fine. As I approached a small hill (or a slight curve) and a car was coming toward me in the oncoming lane. Suddenly, the brakes slammed on automatically. Thankfully, that semi that had been behind me turned off just before this happened.

Another version of the story goes like this:

I was driving in heavy commuter traffic at highway speed, everything was fine. Suddenly, someone changed lanes quickly, jumping right in front of me. My automatic brakes slammed on. I could hear the crashes stacking up behind me.

Reactions: Walking Black Bear

·
Registered
350 Posts
The tech that worries me is the "Collision Mitigation."
My sister has a Hyundai Kona with automatic emergency braking (among other of the newer safety features). She had a deer run out in front of her and it did nothing (she did though) and other times had it lock up the brakes for a plastic bag blowing across the street and once with nothing at all in front of her.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clearly some of this tech isn't ready for prime time. However what does work (as shown in the rush hour traffic video above) is pretty impressive. Based on the way people drive these days posting on the #gram while changing lanes at warp speed I'll take my chances with HAL9000 :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
724 Posts
As someone who instructs HPDE drivers on track this is the OPPOSITE of my experience. Modern traction control systems are way better at driving then you are. Unless you have thousands of hours behind the wheel at the limit I would keep traction control on. Almost everyone I've talked to at a track who bent up a car started the conversation with "well I turned off the stupid traction control and..."
Yeah, you don't want the yuppie with his new $100,000-$500,000 sports car to turn it into a beer can or fiberglass/carbon fiber rubble on day one!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Can someone explain to me why you would pick the SC over any other truck on the market if you do not like tech? There are so many cheaper, more capable options.
I think what you are missing is that it's NOT a truck, it's a Sport Adventure Vehicle (SAV). IMHO that's its' number one appeal. You get a sporty SAV that can do some minor truck like functions. It's a family Swiss Army Knife vehicle. Smaller in size. Easy to drive and park. Hopefully FUN to drive and certainly sporty and fast in the turbo trim. It is really in a class of its' own.

What other more capable options do you speak of that cost about $25K? I know of none.

The Maverick is coming, but it IS a small unibody TRUCK; and it looks its' boxy part well.

The add-on "tech" stuff is a personal preference thing in my opinion. I like engine MPI (& GDI) technology for altitude and efficiency, but don't want a turbo. I like a technology enhanced multi-mode slush-box automatic, but don't want a DCT, CVT or manual for this AWD purchase that will be used off-road on occasion. I want an AWD with utility that includes an open trunk/bed and the brunk adds even more utility, but don't want a traditional truck in looks, feel or size.

Again, this vehicle is in a class of its' own. If Subaru reinvents the Baja with sporty lines and their top-notch AWD system, then that will be their competition. But for now, we are left with the Santa Cruz SAV and Maverick TRUCK. Personally, the Maverick truck can't even meet my requirements stated above.

Frankly I'm surprised that so many traditional truck buyers are looking at and considering this (it seems to threaten some traditional truck owners ego). But... not really, because I can see where it fits into so many peoples lifestyle much better than a traditional truck for those that don't really need a traditional truck, but get forced into one for that utility function they seldom use.

I'm just extremely happy Hyundai isn't forcing all the "add-on" tech at the base level, including the flat touch screens. Hopefully that will allow them to keep the cost down, giving access to this wonderful vehicle style concept to more folks.

IMHO what makes the Santa Cruz attractive to so many is that it's: easy to drive as a city DD, has a dynamic driving experience unlike a truck, has the utility of an open trunk with a brunk, and enough design styling NOT to require that aesthetically pleasing sports car or other vehicle on the side.

That's my 2-cents...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts