Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contacted Hyundai by phone about two weeks ago to ask about how VINs are assigned since it appeared that some higher number VINS were being shipped and sold before lower number VINs. I was told it was a random system. This may make it difficult to track numbers on the production line, so I emailed Hyundai with the same question. Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care. We received your request wanting to know how we assign VIN to our vehicle. We are more than happy to provide you with that information. Please note vehicles that were manufactured prior to 2010 the VIN's were assigned a different way.

The first 3 digits are the World Manufacturer Identifier
The fourth digit is the make and model
The fifth digit is the trim level
The sixth digit is the body type and passenger
The seventh digit restraint device
The eight digit is the engine type
The ninth digit is the check digit
The tenth digit is the model year
The eleventh digit is the manufacturing plant code
The twelfth thru seventeenth is the serial number

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions by calling our toll-free number and referencing case number 18730047."

·
Registered
509 Posts
Obviously, the number is not "random" since every digit is predefined except the last six. We see that there is a steady upward progression of serial numbers from day to day. Someone (maybe, @Chuck) said that the serial number is assigned shortly before the vehicle is actually built. We can assume that some sort of 'batching' is done, maybe based on paint color, or current parts on-hand, which would account for slight gaps in the serial numbers at any point in time.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz LTD AWD Hampton Gray
27 Posts
Shipping issues as well-or inspections at the factory. I ordered two Santa Cruz Limiteds for myself, a Hampton Gray, an Ice White. I bought the Hampton Gray the day it came in-two and a half weeks ago with VIN: 3265. I received the Ice White yesterday with VIN: 2332. They were from the same order bank-why the delay? Could have been extra checks at the factory, a late accessory that needed to be installed, a shipper issue, etc. We never can tell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shipping issues as well-or inspections at the factory. I ordered two Santa Cruz Limiteds for myself, a Hampton Gray, an Ice White. I bought the Hampton Gray the day it came in-two and a half weeks ago with VIN: 3265. I received the Ice White yesterday with VIN: 2332. They were from the same order bank-why the delay? Could have been extra checks at the factory, a late accessory that needed to be installed, a shipper issue, etc. We never can tell.
Maybe they produce a string of certain colors?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it’s kinda cool to track/figure out the vin number progression. Mine was manufactured 06/24, purchased on 07/30, VIN is 505. And I think it’s official - whatever Hyundai calls it, on the manufacturer’s tag on the door jam… it says it’s a truck 😆

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz LTD AWD Hampton Gray
27 Posts
Maybe they produce a string of certain colors?
Definitely that as well. I've seen Hyundai pick up my orders and give me six/seven of the same color, because they were building those at the time. And other times go months without certain colors because they weren't up on the production list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts