Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been studying it for 6 months— vids, reviews, these forum articles, waiting for Truck King’s tow test on a real camper (instead of the boat— and I believe that test is coming since their recent camper under review is attached to a SC).

Decided to stop waiting and plunge on Saturday.
Only one Blue Stone in my trim level in the vicinity (in Canada it’s mid-level— Preferred Trend).

Called sales manager, cited the price in the ad:
Does it include Destination fee? Yes.
What other costs should I expect? Dealer admin fee, AC tax, Tire tax.
Any other costs? No.

Arrive, test drive, return to dealer to find someone else waiting on the curb to test drive it.
Sit down in sales guy’s cubicle to sign for it and he takes my Juke keys to test drive it for trade-in value, returns to me.

Sales guy: Your Juke is in good shape. Also, I’m sorry to tell you this but that SC was a pre-order that was declined so there is an additional 2000 fee on it that Hyundai charges us.

Me (shocked) Okay. I’ll order one from my home dealer and get it in Jan or Feb. Bye.
I get up, walk out of his cubicle toward the front door of the dealership, discover he still has my keys in his pocket and I can’t make my dramatic exit after all.

I turn around to get my keys and the manager is standing there and says come back in, we’ll do something about that. I say, there’s nothing to do except honour the price you told me the phone, and I ask for my keys.

In the end, I guess they’ll get their fee from some other less diligent or less patient buyer on a different model because I got out of there at MSRP.

Loved it for a whole day until the headlights kept coming on and off for no apparent reason yesterday, day 2 of ownership, in bright daylight while driving, whether the headlight switch was off, auto, or on.

Here’s hoping that’s not a sign of things to come. I’ve studied the Manual to see what I might be missing and can’t find a reason for the random behavior.

Any ideas?

I guess I’ll be taking it back in for service a mere 3 days after purchase. But I sure loved it for a day!

Edit: User error— the lights come on whenever the dash sensor is (even briefly) in the shadows, even if the switch is OFF.
Whew.
No gremlins after all……

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like the dealer gave you a complete line of BS and you were smart enough not to fall for it. Did they give you what you wanted for your Juke or did they screw you over on the trade in?

Can't really help you with your apparent headlight issue. I can say that when I drive mine into my garage my headlights turn on automatically, because it's dark in there and I have the headlights set to automatic. The settings are very simple and right on the blinder lever. Try taking it out of automatic and turn them on manually to see if your problem goes away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My headlights don’t have any problems but I have noticed it seems to be really sensitive with night mode shifts inside the cabin. It sometimes looks like it is flashing in the corner of my eye but it’s dimmer because a cloud went over

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
My headlights don’t have any problems but I have noticed it seems to be really sensitive with night mode shifts inside the cabin. It sometimes looks like it is flashing in the corner of my eye but it’s dimmer because a cloud went over
Actually what I've noticed could be just inside the cab as you mentioned. Never really paid much attention to it, because I know it's related to the change in darkness.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
Are you in Ontario? They legally can't advertise any price that isn't what you pay when you walk in the door. All they're allowed to leave as "extra" is taxes and licensing here.

Sorry they tried to pull a fast one, glad you didn't fall for it.

On the headlight thing, if the headlights are still turning on while the light switch is turned to off, there's definitely a bad electrical connection at play. There has to be a short to send power to the headlights when there shouldn't be. Could be a bad switch in the turn signal stalk, or anything between there and the headlights. Hopefully they can find the culprit quickly for you.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
486 Posts
That dealership just wanted to see if you would take the bait. Glad you did not. Sound like dealers are the same worldwide, extract as much cash from the consumer as possible with the least amount of resistance. That's the first time I have heard of Hyundai charging the dealer more for a pre-sold vehicle that was refused. What an outright lie.

Glad there are a few honest dealers in existence. Hopefully the light problem is easily solved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@HSC4ME
— Yes, after an initial low ball offer on the Juke which I refused, knowing what it was worth privately, they came up to what I considered a fair price once I took into account the xtra $500 tax deduction. I think they were worried about my review of them so they seemed to handle the rest of the deal on better ground.

@Walking Black Bear—
— I’m in Edmonton, Alberta. I had no intention of ever returning to that dealership but I think I’ll go back today in case this headlight thing is an easy fix.

I’m convinced now that it’s not user error— wasn’t sure at first tbh, but it’s still doing it today on auto or off and it’s random so I do hope it’s simply a loose connection that they find quickly. Alternatively, I hope they give me my Juke as a loaner!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,135 Posts
I wonder if you're dealing with the same dealership that @Bravefart was just talking about in another thread ... you're both in Edmonton. Hmm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi @SkyCruz ... Hope to see your blue cruz around town! If you see a sage grey ultimate (usually west end or Spruce Grove), honk... it's me! ;-)

BTW, I'm getting my hitch put on this week. Aftermarket. I have a 2300lb boat + 600lb trailer (nothing fancy, a 1999 Four Winns) which I plan to pull around for day trips when we aren't on overnight/weekend/weeklong camping trips with the Motorhome. I'm planning to give it a pull around yet this year to try out the SC Turbo4 towing prowess (I had a Silverado LTZ 6.2l before which didn't work up a sweat with the boat) so I'll pass along what I find out. I have to put brakes on the boat trailer over the winter (the motorhome is e450 and doesn't need trailer brakes for the boat, but the SC should have them being as it's 2900lbs + gas/water toys).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@Bravefart — Sweet. West end too so I’ll keep an eye out for you. And will eagerly await your towing report.

—-
RE the Headlights randomly coming on and off— USER error after all, thankfully!
More like user ignorance-of-new-car-tech.

On the way to the dealership, I noticed that it was occurring in shadows— of buildings, of a line of trees, when the sun was behind me and the dash sensor was shaded by the car itself.

Even though the headlight switch was OFF (not Auto), it’s a built-in ever present safety feature (albeit perhaps a little too sensitive?).

My error and very happy it was. It’s even clearly stated in the owner’s manual but I hadn’t logged that it’s even if the switch is off.

Editing the original post to reflect this happy news in case any other new owner is as silly as me. 😉

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Even though the headlight switch was OFF (not Auto), it’s a built-in ever present safety feature (albeit perhaps a little too sensitive?).
My C7 is the same way. The sensor is too sensitive, drive under a few trees or a bridge and the lights come on. Plus the feature resets itself. So you can turn the headlights "off" but the switch goes back to auto and lights come on again when the car is restarted.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm confused. If the lights automatically turn on even when "off", what's the point of "Auto" in that case? Personally, I leave mine in auto all the time, so I haven't experienced this, but I couldn't find in the owner's manual where it says that the headlights will come on when the switch is off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm confused.
Me too, confused.

5-54
OFF Position
The parking lamp and headlamp will be turned ON or OFF automatically depending on the amount of daylight as measured by the ambient light sensor on the center dash when the parking brake is not engaged and shift lever is not in P(Park).
The parking lamp and headlamp will be turned OFF when the vehicle speed is less than 5 km/h and parking brake is engaged or shift lever is in P(Park).

5:55
AUTO headlamp position
The position lamp and headlamp will be turned ON or OFF automatically depending on the amount of daylight as measured by the ambient light sensor (1) at the upper end of the dash board.
Even with the AUTO headlamp feature in operation, it is recommended to manually turn ON the headlamps when driving at night or in a fog, driving in the rain, or when you enter dark areas, such as tunnels and parking facilities.

The only difference seems to be that if it’s dark outside, in OFF, the lights go off once you park even though the car is still running, and with AUTO, as long as the car is running the lights are on (if it’s dark). (Maybe?)

Also, it sounds like some SC lights don’t come on in shadows? There must be a sensitivity adjustment?

And someone please enlighten me on terminology— even in the above manual reference they seem to swap terms. It seems like the parking lamp, position light, and Daytime Running Lights are all ways they refer to the front lights on the grill?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts