Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I get it. I don't usually get all shook up about the games the dealers play. It just amazed me how GD Greedy some of these dealers are. The sooner this current situation with chip shortages and overall inflation ends, the sooner we all get back to buying cars the old fashion way, by haggling.
Just to confirm, there haven't been any issues with chip shortages affecting the SC correct? I mean current vehicles being delivered aren't missing certain features like heated seats, heated steering wheels, etc. like other vehicles are?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to confirm, there haven't been any issues with chip shortages affecting the SC correct? I mean current vehicles being delivered aren't missing certain features like heated seats, heated steering wheels, etc. like other vehicles are?
[/QUOTE:
That seems to be the excuse being thrown out there along with transport driver shortages. Unbelievable. Personally I think the some dealers are over playing to justify overpricing. One dealer in New Rochelle Ny was 20k ADM. I had to ask again just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Correct. However we assume the chip shortage caused some SC features to be removed, IE: no memory seats, no Smart Park, lack of a hybrid model, etc. Hyundai only had so many chips and they went into their bread-n-butter sellers like the Tuscon and not some weird little truck-let thing. The Tuscon outsells the SC by a factor of 10.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Is that because there have been more Tucsons built or people haven't warmed up to SC?
Or are they not building enough SCs to meet demand? We will never know since Hyundai has never (to my knowledge) released sales goals for the SC. Given the supply crunch its hard to gauge. All I know for sure is if I wanted to buy a Tuscon there are 224 Limiteds within 250 miles of me... but just 30 Limited SCs in the same distance. Since both vehicles are built on the same assembly line Hyundai could pivot to making more SC but have purposely (??) not done that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Or are they not building enough SCs to meet demand? We will never know since Hyundai has never (to my knowledge) released sales goals for the SC. Given the supply crunch its hard to gauge. All I know for sure is if I wanted to buy a Tuscon there are 224 Limiteds within 250 miles of me... but just 30 Limited SCs in the same distance. Since both vehicles are built on the same assembly line Hyundai could pivot to making more SC but have purposely (??) not done that.
And there ya have it. Purposely curtailing production to maximize profit. If they are able to build more Tucsons they can build more SCs.

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
And there ya have it. Purposely curtailing production to maximize profit. If they are able to build more Tucsons they can build more SCs.
The Tucson is Hyundai's best selling model. What reason is there to build more SCs instead?

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Purposely curtailing production to maximize profit. If they are able to build more Tucsons they can build more SCs.
Not if they only have so many chips or other raw materials. If they could make more SCs they surely would. However given a choice between a SC and Tuscon they are going to make the latter because that vehicle sells to a wider audience. Profit is only going to come from cranking out more units. These $5k over dealer mark ups don't go back to factory - the dealers are lining their pockets with that extra money. The lack of units just means dealers can charge more because you can't go down the street and haggle for a better deal.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The Tucson is Hyundai's best selling model. What reason is there to build more SCs instead?
Geez I don't why it would be. Or maybe it's because I have yet to see any ads for the SC on my local TV stations. BUT there are ad after ad for the tucson. If you want to build popularity for a product you need to saturate the airwaves with it's virtues.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not if they only have so many chips or other raw materials. If they could make more SCs they surely would. However given a choice between a SC and Tuscon they are going to make the latter because that vehicle sells to a wider audience. Profit is only going to come from cranking out more units. These $5k over dealer mark ups don't go back to factory - the dealers are lining their pockets with that extra money. The lack of units just means dealers can charge more because you can't go down the street and haggle for a better deal.
Here's an idea re-allocate the chips and raw materials from Tucson production to the SC. The Tuc and the cruz are virtually the same vehicle same motor, same trans closed bed or open bed.
That's true, you can't haggle. If I hadn't been able to purchase at sticker or below, I would have walked, and bought a late model lexus Suv. I still may because the SC is not everything I hoped it would be. The Hampton Gray color just ain't doing for me. Too drab.

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts
Geez I don't why it would be. Or maybe it's because I have yet to see any ads for the SC on my local TV stations. BUT there are ad after ad for the tucson. If you want to build popularity for a product you need to saturate the airwaves with it's virtues.
So it's not enough for them to build more SCs. You want more commercials too? What's your angle here, pal?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So it's not enough for them to build more SCs. You want more commercials too? What's your angle here, pal?
I didn't realize I had to have an "angle" to have an opinion. Furthermore If you going to sell a new product, ya gotta build interest in it. How do you do that bud?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I would have walked, and bought a late model lexus Suv. I still may because the SC is not everything I hoped it would be.
And there you go. Your average buyer wants CUVs (after full-size trucks) they dominate the sales charts of every OEM, even Porsche! The SC is a niche product - it was never meant to sell in high numbers. The SC is selling around the same volume as the Ridgeline, which is the target audience here, so I bet the brass over at Hyundai are thrilled. They are not going to divert resources to it, make more of them, lower the price, add features, etc. My guess is everything is going to according to plan... if not we will see changes for the '23 model year.

Regarding ads: I worked in marketing for years and the rule is you don't advertise stuff that is already selling like hot cakes. SCs are flying off the lots as soon as they arrive, so there is zero reason to hype them up, its selling organically by people actively seeking it out. Ever see an ad for Tesla? Nope because of the same reason.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
And there you go. Your average buyer wants CUVs (after full-size trucks) they dominate the sales charts of every OEM, even Porsche! The SC is a niche product - it was never meant to sell in high numbers. The SC is selling around the same volume as the Ridgeline, which is the target audience here, so I bet the brass over at Hyundai are thrilled. They are not going to divert resources to it, make more of them, lower the price, add features, etc. My guess is everything is going to according to plan... if not we will see changes for the '23 model year.

Regarding ads: I worked in marketing for years and the rule is you don't advertise stuff that is already selling like hot cakes. SCs are flying off the lots as soon as they arrive, so there is zero reason to hype them up, its selling organically by people actively seeking it out. Ever see an ad for Tesla? Nope because of the same reason.
Given that logic, why would Hyundai need to advertise the Tucson because they are such a hot seller. I see ads all the time for Tucsons, not ONE for the SC.

In college I missed a question on a Advertising exam. The question had to do with promoting milk. To whom do you target the advertising towards?
Those who already consume the product or those who you want to consume the product?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Given that logic, why would Hyundai need to advertise the Tucson because they are such a hot seller. I see ads all the time for Tucsons, not ONE for the SC.
Different situation: the Tuscon is in an extremely competitive market - they need to lure customers away from a RAV4, CRV, Rouge, etc. Also checking inventory you should fine more Tuscons are available. For example at my local dealer there are 85 vs only 14 SCs. Both vehicles have the worthless "appearance package" and a "market adjustment" added to them resulting in $4k over MSRP.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Different situation: the Tuscon is in an extremely competitive market - they need to lure customers away from a RAV4, CRV, Rouge, etc. Also checking inventory you should fine more Tuscons are available. For example at my local dealer there are 85 vs only 14 SCs. Both vehicles have the worthless "appearance package" and a "market adjustment" added to them resulting in $4k over MSRP.
I get that.
The original topic has to do with the greed of dealers. This discussion has reached it's conclusion. Which is, if there is a shortage of product then sellers are free under the basic rules of a free market society to charge as much as they can for as long as they can. Economics 101 Supply /Demand.

·
Registered
SEL AWD
237 Posts

In college I missed a question on a Advertising exam. The question had to do with promoting milk. To whom do you target the advertising towards?
Those who already consume the product or those who you want to consume the product?
Reasons to market the Tucson (below is a list of Tucson competitors that outsold the Santa Cruz last month):
  1. Toyota RAV4
  2. Toyota Highlander
  3. Honda CR-V
  4. Ford Explorer
  5. Mazda CX-5
  6. Ford Escape
  7. Subaru Outback
  8. Toyota 4Runner
  9. Ford Bronco Sport
  10. Subaru Forester
Target audience: Everyone. We're talking about a class of car purchased by literally every demographic group in North America.

Still not sure what you want here. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Reasons to market the Tucson (below is a list of Tucson competitors that outsold the Santa Cruz last month):
  1. Toyota RAV4
  2. Toyota Highlander
  3. Honda CR-V
  4. Ford Explorer
  5. Mazda CX-5
  6. Ford Escape
  7. Subaru Outback
  8. Toyota 4Runner
  9. Ford Bronco Sport
  10. Subaru Forester
Target audience: Everyone. We're talking about a class of car purchased by literally every demographic group in North America.

Still not sure what you want here. 🤷‍♀️
Most folks are brand loyal. If they have had good luck with a particular brand they usually stick with it. I use to be a ford fan. I'm still a fan of toyota and honda. If it hadn't been for the allure of the SC. I wouldn't have even looked a Hyundai.

I really don't need or want anything. If most the readers here are ok with 5,10, 15k+ over msrp then who am I to question it. If I have to spend that much for an econobox, I might as well spend a little more go high end.
End of discussion on my end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most folks are brand loyal. If they have had good luck with a particular brand they usually stick with it. I use to be a ford fan. I'm still a fan of toyota and honda. If it hadn't been for the allure of the SC. I wouldn't have even looked a Hyundai.

I really don't need or want anything. If most the readers here are ok with 5,10, 15k+ over msrp then who am I to question it. If I have to spend that much for an econobox, I might as well spend a little more go high end.
End of discussion on my end.
Maybe I can shed some light here. Just got into a SC and it was a build job. Dealers are telling customers 6-9 months for an SC build, and the only thing on the lots is a single SC limited if you're lucky. so im sure people are going elsewhere or buying different vehicles. Based on this, why would hyundai advertise the SC when they know allocation takes forever? I'd be advertising something else too just to keep up.

Having said that, my build took 2 months. I was willing to wait.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts