Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
221 - 240 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Im not sure where Lehigh Valley is in PA, but about a week ago, somebody posted that their local dealer was discounting off MSRP. His profile said he was in PA so I sent an e-mail to this one and was originally told they had not received any yet, but then this just came yesterday. I think that person may have been looking at the "discounts" that are shown on the website for $500 college grad, $500 first responder, etc and confused that for discounting.

View attachment 2446
So your other emails you shared called you Sean... but this one says Robert .. and is from another dealer, not even the one in question. Also glad you know what the buyer was "confused" about.. seriously dude... it just keeps getting better with every post. 🤣

·
Registered
52 Posts
That person might have been VA. That dealer shows as central VA. Not surprised that would be a dealer trying to go that crazy high over msrp, looking at that map that might be considered DC suburbs which is deep BMW Merc territory. That's even worse then where I live in the NYC Jersey suburbs.

But where I am targeting searching in PA is old coal mine, defunct vacation towns mostly populated by people who got priced out of NJ. So hopefully more of the F150 crowd and not as much in a hurry to pay close to 50k for a light pick up lol.
Yea I thought the same thing and started in SoCal pits like Temecula, Hemet (if you know where Hemet is, its in the middle of nowhere, yet they pimped MSRP by $7500. It seems the farther north you go, the higher the markup. Stockton CA is an absolute armpit but they were quoting "negotiable" $10k. It will come down eventually, its not just the poplarity of the truck, its also the lack of inventory of all brands right now with the chip shortage, but still. I live down the street from a massive volume Toyota dealer and they have not had a single camry, rav4, corolla, or tundra for months. i saw they just got 3 tacomas in the other day and they are all pimped $10+. supply and demand at the moment.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yea I thought the same thing and started in SoCal pits like Temecula, Hemet (if you know where Hemet is, its in the middle of nowhere, yet they pimped MSRP by $7500. It seems the farther north you go, the higher the markup. Stockton CA is an absolute armpit but they were quoting "negotiable" $10k. It will come down eventually, its not just the poplarity of the truck, its also the lack of inventory of all brands right now with the chip shortage, but still. I live down the street from a massive volume Toyota dealer and they have not had a single camry, rav4, corolla, or tundra for months. i saw they just got 3 tacomas in the other day and they are all pimped $10+. supply and demand at the moment.
Wow... you are just a wealth of info... even know about Toyota inventories. This is like CNN, only better. 🤣

·
Registered
52 Posts
That person might have been VA. That dealer shows as central VA. Not surprised that would be a dealer trying to go that crazy high over msrp, looking at that map that might be considered DC suburbs which is deep BMW Merc territory. That's even worse then where I live in the NYC Jersey suburbs.

But where I am targeting searching in PA is old coal mine, defunct vacation towns mostly populated by people who got priced out of NJ. So hopefully more of the F150 crowd and not as much in a hurry to pay close to 50k for a light pick up lol.
that said, its early for me, but my initial impression is very, very positive for this thing. I was on the fence of Limited vs SEL Prem and would have bought whichever was avail, it just happened to be the Limited. the dark chrome is a really nice look, the leather is nice, the tech in this car is seriously impressive. the one massive miss is with the Bose stereo. I have Bose in my Porsche and it sounds incredible. the Bose in the SC sounds like a Jenson with Bose badges. Truely shocked Bose put their name on it. the good news i THINK the amp is under one of the seats but have not had a chance to really investigate yet. if so, that should make upgrading the power pretty simple to give it more ooph.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Again, getting this conversation back on track and remaining (guys everyone here is a fan of the car and just trying to navigate a crazy market)....

I had asked earlier and didn't see any feedback on this.

How long after a car is sold is it taking for it to fall of the results of the inventory search on the Hyundai USA website?

At least for cars local to me that all have ridiculous markup I'm trying to get an idea if they are continuing to sit because they aren't finding any takers at that price or if its just taking awhile to be shown as sold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Again, getting this conversation back on track and remaining (guys everyone here is a fan of the car and just trying to navigate a crazy market)....

I had asked earlier and didn't see any feedback on this.

How long after a car is sold is it taking for it to fall of the results of the inventory search on the Hyundai USA website?

At least for cars local to me that all have ridiculous markup I'm trying to get an idea if they are continuing to sit because they aren't finding any takers at that price or if its just taking awhile to be shown as sold.
I would not rely on the H USA inventory in the least. When searching 250 miles from my zip, it has listed 144 avail for over two weeks now. That number has not changed at all. I know for a fact that several listed are in fact sold, including the one I bought last week so it does not appear H USA is updating that at all. When I was trying to find one, I would start with the H USA and then go directly to the dealer site to see if its still listed. Last week several were, this week almost none appear to be. That said, I was even considering flying to either CO or WA to purchase. The Everett WA dealership told me they would get more info on their coming allocation sometime this week so I would assume the next deliveries should be on the way soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think flying to another state works for me. I need to include a trade in for the deal and I don't think its worth the hassle trying to sell the vehicle to a third party especially with NJ DMV still being a mess to do anything even this far into the pandemic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think flying to another state works for me. I need to include a trade in for the deal and I don't think its worth the hassle trying to sell the vehicle to a third party especially with NJ DMV still being a mess to do anything even this far into the pandemic.
I hear ya. One other thing thats interesting. Many states can charge whatever they please for "doc fees". Im originally from MO and they typically tack on well over $1k for these BS fees. the dealer in CO I was close to buying from charges around $650, but in CA those fees are capped at $85 so it may be worth checking policy in your local region to see if there are any advantages on that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thats a good point. Unfortunately I don't think NJ regulates that. I saw some dealers in the state do list as high as 800-900. I think the last couple cars I bought from my local Honda dealer charged about 300.

·
Registered
509 Posts
... Also does anyone have any idea how long it takes for a car on the Hyundai USA inventory list to fall off the inventory list once a dealership sells it? I'm only having about 50 percent luck on cars found on the inventory list actually being available when I call / email.
Have given up completely on the Hyundai page. I know that there are SCs in my area which have been gone for at least 2, 3, 4 weeks which still appear on the Hyundai Inventory listing page. Worse yet, dealers have listed "Newly Arrived!" SCs on their own sites, and then sold them, while the Hyundai site continued to display the ones which were long gone.

AutoTrader is updating daily and seems to closely match dealers' own sites.

Reactions: BMX43

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's unfortunate that there is little accuracy. I was less trying to rely on the Hyundai local inventory to find cars I didn't know about, but more try to get an idea if cars I am aware of but that the dealer is placing a large premium on are not selling, and if its worth calling back to see if they are willing to budge.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Might be worth trying some of the online buyers -- Carvana was getting a lot of great reviews over on the Ridgeline site, for both the cash offered and the ease of executing the transaction.

Reactions: BMX43

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats a good point. Unfortunately I don't think NJ regulates that. I saw some dealers in the state do list as high as 800-900. I think the last couple cars I bought from my local Honda dealer charged about 300.
$300 I would do, i was even prepared to pay the $600 in CO at one point.
That's unfortunate that there is little accuracy. I was less trying to rely on the Hyundai local inventory to find cars I didn't know about, but more try to get an idea if cars I am aware of but that the dealer is placing a large premium on are not selling, and if its worth calling back to see if they are willing to budge.
Here was my experience. After exhausting my options in CA (before I found the Ltd), I had been talking with the dealer in CO who had a $5k pop. I sent him an email and offered him MSRP, he said not gonna happen unless im willing to pay more. then, the day after i bought the Ltd, I got an e-mail from him saying "if i can get you this for MSRP + the $65 for the wheel locks, are we doing business today?"...since it wasnt the end of the month, im guessing they had their new allocation list and knew more were on the way. so i would recommend getting in touch with your local dealers and just tell them that as soon as they have the car you want and are willing to sell at sticker, you are ready to buy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Might be worth trying some of the online buyers -- Carvana was getting a lot of great reviews over on the Ridgeline site, for both the cash offered and the ease of executing the transaction.
agreed. i actually sold my Ridgeline to Carvana about 2 months ago in anticipation of the SC. with prices so crazy hight right now, they payed me $1k less than I paid for the entire truck the previous year. the transaction was insanely easy as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
$300 I would do, i was even prepared to pay the $600 in CO at one point.

Here was my experience. After exhausting my options in CA (before I found the Ltd), I had been talking with the dealer in CO who had a $5k pop. I sent him an email and offered him MSRP, he said not gonna happen unless im willing to pay more. then, the day after i bought the Ltd, I got an e-mail from him saying "if i can get you this for MSRP + the $65 for the wheel locks, are we doing business today?"...since it wasnt the end of the month, im guessing they had their new allocation list and knew more were on the way. so i would recommend getting in touch with your local dealers and just tell them that as soon as they have the car you want and are willing to sell at sticker, you are ready to buy.
Its good to know some have had luck pushing back on dealers. Its not like by the time you are looking at a limited its not already a premium price for that size car/truck.

My strategy is to be flexible to where I am buying and be ready to run out as soon as something turns out. I also wonder if one of these dealers who claim they already have a deposit and got someone to pay 3-5k over will find that the fish they had on the hook thought they could use their credit card to put a thousand down and then magically finance the rest of a 45-50k purchase when they know they have no credit.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Its good to know some have had luck pushing back on dealers. Its not like by the time you are looking at a limited its not already a premium price for that size car/truck.

My strategy is to be flexible to where I am buying and be ready to run out as soon as something turns out. I also wonder if one of these dealers who claim they already have a deposit and got someone to pay 3-5k over will find that the fish they had on the hook thought they could use their credit card to put a thousand down and then magically finance the rest of a 45-50k purchase when they know they have no credit.
And that is the trick for the dealer, they can get stuck with a vehicle if funding fails. True credit worthiness is checked during the app for funding, but anyone can put down a deposit w/o a credit check. This is why dealers like to get them to pre-qualify during the deposit process. But they can't force the customer to do that pre-qualify app. It varies by brand, but failure to fund happens anywhere between 8-12% of those who place deposit on inbound inventory. It is much lower when the customer actually places an order for a specific build.. around 3-5%.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I hear and feel your frustration. Been going through the same experiences you have described in general. Glad you finally found what you are looking for. I'm still watching and waiting for my desired specs, after having my original reservation hackjacked by the dealer. I found out today talking to a dealer 1400 miles away, that Insider vehicles don't go against the dealers normal allocated inventory. So if that is true, when a dealer steals an Insider Reserved vehicle he gains an allocation. This seems like the "motive" in the crime.

LittleBokey cool your attack jets and relax. You don't want your name jokingly changed to AlotBokey :ROFLMAO:, like SoldTheTaco got jokingly labeled BoughtTheTaco until he didn't and returned to the light or I got jokingly labeled HSCnot4ME.

Most dealers don't care about or don't even know about the Insider Reservation Program (at least early on, some are more receptive now). Your beloved dealer quoted $5K markups on Limited and $3K markup on all the rest to my guy in that area when he inquired. BMX43 posted an actual email that confirms the $3K markup in writing. I don't know of a single buyer at that dealer that posted here they paid MSRP. I hope you are the first to rein them in and get a MSRP purchase.

By the way, where the heck is your SEL Premium? You originally reserved a Limited, right? Then switched for some reason. If you were in fact offered that Blue Limited they got at MSRP I'm surprised you didn't jump on it. I was told a $5K markup on that one, but it wasn't even available. The Premium you reserved was one of the earliest builds. Did that one go to someone else at a higher price and you got pushed down the waiting list?

Not trying to take sides or start a fight. I'm too worn out from this SC process to post much anymore. By the time Blue Stones show up on the west coast, I will have one foot in retirement. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone successfully had a dealer take an order post release?

A couple dealers have asked me if I would be interested.

Positive and negatives? Ways a dealer can screw you? Can you place an order with a guaranteed price and no possibility they will try to sell to someone else when it comes in?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I hear and feel your frustration. Been going through the same experiences you have described in general. Glad you finally found what you are looking for. I'm still watching and waiting for my desired specs, after having my original reservation hackjacked by the dealer. I found out today talking to a dealer 1400 miles away, that Insider vehicles don't go against the dealers normal allocated inventory. So if that is true, when a dealer steals an Insider Reserved vehicle he gains an allocation. This seems like the "motive" in the crime.

LittleBokey cool your attack jets and relax. You don't want your name jokingly changed to AlotBokey :ROFLMAO:, like SoldTheTaco got jokingly labeled BoughtTheTaco until he didn't and returned to the light or I got jokingly labeled HSCnot4ME.

Most dealers don't care about or don't even know about the Insider Reservation Program (at least early on, some are more receptive now). Your beloved dealer quoted $5K markups on Limited and $3K markup on all the rest to my guy in that area when he inquired. BMX43 posted an actual email that confirms the $3K markup in writing. I don't know of a single buyer at that dealer that posted here they paid MSRP. I hope you are the first to rein them in and get a MSRP purchase.

By the way, where the heck is your SEL Premium? You originally reserved a Limited, right? Then switched for some reason. If you were in fact offered that Blue Limited they got at MSRP I'm surprised you didn't jump on it. I was told a $5K markup on that one, but it wasn't even available. The Premium you reserved was one of the earliest builds. Did that one go to someone else at a higher price and you got pushed down the waiting list?

Not trying to take sides or start a fight. I'm too worn out from this SC process to post much anymore. By the time Blue Stones show up on the west coast, I will have one foot in retirement. :rolleyes:
First, let me be clear, I don't have a "beloved' dealer. :p You know this story brother... on reservation day, both the local dealers stated MSRP.. only later the one "beloved" dealer let me know, MSRP was for reservation numbers only. As soon as I heard that, I posted an update. I actually helped one of the forum folks get the available Black SE base model. Since that time, there have been no changes from either of the "beloved" dealers.

As for the posted email, I was the first to post that Tustin was MSRP, period. I provided the exact copy of the email. What ticked me off was the contrary posting calling other folks out that somehow they lied about their purchases of MSRP... not just @ the "beloved" dealers, but others. Without asking how they got MSRP, he accused them of lying. Plus there no respect shown for @Von who was kind enough to keep a running list of MSRP dealers. Maybe the approach should have been, "I got a $3k increase quoted.. how did you get MSRP?". Having an email response to his ask does not prove other folks did not get MSRP... period.

I actually don't think the troll purchased an SC... otherwise why would he be here emailing dealers??? Not to mention the picture he posted has custom wheels (Black Rino).. so that did not go out the door as MSRP... or they were added later? Most owners would be posting all the spec/cost for that... but there is only silence. :p

As for mine, yes... originally ask for a Limited. That was before pricing... when the Limited was finally priced, I felt it was too much.. IMHO. While I want a SC, I don't value it to be $41k. I have a budget and that was more inline with the SEL Premium. During that time, I was switched by HMA to the closer of the "beloved' dealers. They acknowledged my order right away through email and phone. We discussed the pricing and I decided to step down to the SEL P. The "beloved" dealer was happy to accommodate the change. They knew the original Limited was coming and we discussed dates.. they then were able get a SEL P routed to the dealer and gave me the VIN. That was the VIN I shared with Chuck and he confirmed it was being built/shipped to the "beloved" dealer. Bottom line, both a Limited and the SEL P were coming to the dealer with my name on them. The dealer wanted to grab the first one in for me to test drive... no matter which one came in first. During that time, I was able to reserve the ordered SEL P through the reservation system. The beloved dealer unexpectedly got a SE.. so they called so I could at least look at it. The original Limited came in as it was "ordered" first... the SEL P is on its way... just like everyone one else, I'm waiting. I MAY regret not taking the Limited... but IMHO, I don't see the value in my needs.

Funny... I think the 1 day old troll already renamed me a few names... also renamed my recently deceased mother... which is completely out of bounds making the troll, at best, a J-A.

So here we wait.. I'm still keeping an eye out for your desired SC. Nothing concrete yet.. you have the "beloved" dealer contact.. which won't work if you want MSRP. They are ask +$3k at least on most of the inventory.

Keep the faith brother... hope something pops for you soon. Maybe the troll can help keep an eye our for you too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Funny... I think the 1 day old troll already renamed me a few names... also renamed my recently deceased mother... which is completely out of bounds making the troll, at best, a J-A.

So here we wait.. I'm still keeping an eye out for your desired SC. Nothing concrete yet.. you have the "beloved" dealer contact.. which won't work if you want MSRP. They are ask +$3k at least on most of the inventory.

Keep the faith brother... hope something pops for you soon. Maybe the troll can help keep an eye our for you too. :rolleyes:
Yes, that was some exchange. Thus the joking rename I posted. These dealers are causing a whole lot of crazy for everyone. They've got me looking in other states now. Keeping the faith is hard to do.

Trolls scare me as much as clowns do.
Head Toy Mythical creature Costume hat Red

Mix the two with a Santa Cruz grill smile and you better run for cover! :ROFLMAO:

221 - 240 of 286 Posts