Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD
917 Posts
Yea I drove the Maverick XLT AWD...The weighted steer felt....well... Weighted, and the Seats were hard and not comfortable. Yes it was fast but the interior felt unrefined...Or cheap in layman terms.
I've got a Maverick coming 11/24 but I'm letting the Dealer have it and put a markup on it.. XL AWD Moonroof, tow pkg Carbonized Gray... $26900 But after driving one I wouldn't trade my SE Cruz for it in a minute...

PS Yes you sit down into the Maverick and I situp into the Cruz so The Maverick might work

·
Registered
917 Posts
Good luck…
Also, watch the video in the Mav. SC comparison. About 9:00min mark
I'll agree totally with this video on the Maverick...He put the hard seat comment I had into a better terminology .. The Maverick isn't comfortable for me...The steering felt weird and top-heavy(weighted). I just wasn't impressed.
The minute I drove the SC I knew this was the truck I wanted... I smiled the whole way :)... But I get it if it's about your back.. you do need to step up to get in.. and the Maverick is a great truck also, It's just not for me :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow...thanks guys. That video was very informative. And CASD, your experience based comments are very interesting.

I know that in my desire to be brief (wrote the post right before I had to start speaking in a Zoom conference-duh) I provided a misleading impression. In fact, the higher driving position of the SC was comfortable. Impressively so. It was the roofline that was too low for easy entry. Better than my wife's ( but only slightly) GMC Terrain.

But...I have had bitter experience with a low driving position. Bought a new Tacoma in 2012. Short test drive "Oh wow, everything I want" and signed on the dotted line. Picked it up the next day. After 40 minutes into the drive home, a horrible feeling started in my calves. Like someone put electrical wires in them.
Tried for 3 weeks to find a solution. No dice. Traded with a loss for a CPO Frontier.

It was only later I found numerous comments in the automotive press about the low driver's seat in the Tacoma. All negative.

Talked with my pain doctor. He explained (I can no longer recall the specifics) why my condition demanded high seating.

Bottom line.....I will try a test drive in both. The entry is not prohibitive, just not as good as my Sienna van. BUT my bad Tacoma experience, tells me I need to be comfortable behind the wheel.

One more thing...I noticed the SC is heavier. Smaller, but heavier. That's not a bad thing. It probably contributes to the better ride AND points to greater strength. (One of the Maverick forum posters said he found a crack in the area where the bed joins the cab-not good.)

My uninformed guess is that the Hyundai engineers, venturing into uncharted (in their experience) territory, overbuilt the SC a little. While Ford, working desperately toward the lowest price point shaved a lot off overage margins.

Again, thank you...this is an important decision for this retiree...and 5 seconds getting in is less important than driving comfort hour after hour.

Oh...and I was very impressed with the 2.5T's mileage.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yep on a recent road trip, I got 29.6mpg(95% 55-74mph, Hilly country roads, and expressway) but in town "where it counts for 99.5% of my driving I'm getting 23-24mpg but I drive like I'm in snow... LOL coast up to lights....no jack-rabbit starts...but get it up to 42-43 mph so it shifts into the next gear and slow back down :)
I still haven't decided whether "Smart" drive mode is better than "Normal" drive mode, time will tell..
I'm not sure if the SC is that much heavier.. but it does feel more grounded/solid than the Maverick..
One thing I don't like is the door handles sound cheap on the SC lol

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It was only later I found numerous comments in the automotive press about the low driver's seat in the Tacoma. All negative.
The seating position is a long running complaint about the Tacoma.

However like all vehicles it comes down to the individual and what they like. This is why a LONG test drive is super important. Before getting my C7 I test drove THREE of them (at different dealers) before I was comfortable enough to go ahead with a purchase. Another example: my wife's Infiniti Q60 is a great car... but the seat belt hits my shoulder in a weird way, it bothers me so I wouldn't want to drive it for long periods. My wife is shorter and she is fine with it.

I eliminated a Mav based on looks and specs alone. The SC is such a unique vehicle it is really all or nothing situation for me. There would have to be something extremely annoying with the seats or driving position for me to not get one. My current Dakota is not the most comfortable thing, yet I've dealt with it for two decades as nothing else on the market checked all the boxes until the SC showed up.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yep on a recent road trip, I got 29.6mpg(95% 55-74mph, Hilly country roads, and expressway) but in town "where it counts for 99.5% of my driving I'm getting 23-24mpg but I drive like I'm in snow... LOL coast up to lights....no jack-rabbit starts...but get it up to 42-43 mph so it shifts into the next gear and slow back down :)
I still haven't decided whether "Smart" drive mode is better than "Normal" drive mode, time will tell..
I'm not sure if the SC is that much heavier.. but it does feel more grounded/solid than the Maverick..
One thing I don't like is the door handles sound cheap on the SC lol
I've found that Smart mode definitely accelerates faster - haven't really noticed a difference in MPG though. I'm still averaging 26.x on the overall MPG. Highway I've seen 33+ on an hour trip and city I average around 25 - 26. All in Smart mode.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The seating position is a long running complaint about the Tacoma.

However like all vehicles it comes down to the individual and what they like. This is why a LONG test drive is super important. Before getting my C7 I test drove THREE of them (at different dealers) before I was comfortable enough to go ahead with a purchase. Another example: my wife's Infiniti Q60 is a great car... but the seat belt hits my shoulder in a weird way, it bothers me so I wouldn't want to drive it for long periods. My wife is shorter and she is fine with it.

I eliminated a Mav based on looks and specs alone. The SC is such a unique vehicle it is really all or nothing situation for me. There would have to be something extremely annoying with the seats or driving position for me to not get one. My current Dakota is not the most comfortable thing, yet I've dealt with it for two decades as nothing else on the market checked all the boxes until the SC showed up.
A friend of mine has a fairly new Taco (3 years?) and I hate how low I have to bend over to get into the passenger side. I've never been in the driver's seat but that passenger seat is terrible!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've found that Smart mode definitely accelerates faster - haven't really noticed a difference in MPG though. I'm still averaging 26.x on the overall MPG. Highway I've seen 33+ on an hour trip and city I average around 25 - 26. All in Smart mode.
The reason it does accelerate faster is because when smart mode is engaged, it just cycles through ALL drive modes, based on the way you are driving in that moment. For example, if you hit the throttle harder, it switches to Sport mode giving you better acceleration. Imo, Smart drive mode is the best of both worlds as a result.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I still find that no matter which mode it's in, it is programmed to hold lower gears than it needs to. Hyundai could easily gain a couple of EPA mpgs by just letting the transmission upshift when you're cruising. I still often find myself upshifting manually a lot. Watching the tach drop from 2,000 to 1,600 also makes the instant fuel economy drop accordingly. It's something I picked up on last time I drove our Equinox. If you're not on the throttle, it will upshift aggressively and cruise at around 1,100 rpm. You can't even force the dual clutch to do that while coasting down a hill.

Yes, I realize that in no-load situations it doesn't make a significant difference, but on level ground/slight declines, it definitely does.
Yes, I also realize that keeping the rpms a little higher keeps the engine into it's peak torque band. But as quickly as the DCT shifts, I'd rather pull that extra 1-2 mpg in low/no-load driving than wait an extra half-second for a downshift when I need the extra power.

Ah well, still gets better mileage than a 5.7L Hemi in a Ram 1500, which was probably my runner-up vehicle.

Reactions: JMII

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
So I finally found one. Was worried about the 66.7" height as my wife's Terrain ia about that height and getting in with my bad back is hard.
Long story short...it won't work and I will look at a Maverick....
Enjoy folks.
PS it does look good in person!
Did you look at and drive the Maverick? What did/do you think?

I saw my first Maverick in the wild today. Reminded me of an '80's base trim pickup with a quad cab at first glance. After doing a double-take, I realized it was a base trim white Hybrid Maverick complete with silver steelies. 🤣

It struck me as very small looking with skinny steel wheels and tires, and very generic fleet looking. Also looked cheap, square and frankly ugly (to me).

Not my cup of tea at all! Maybe it will look better in the non-base steellie rimmed trim. Alloys and color should improve the looks substantially. Waiting to see a dressed up one...

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
Maybe it will look better in the non-base steellie rimmed trim. Alloys and color should improve the looks substantially. Waiting to see a dressed up one...
Spoiler alert: it doesn't. ;) I haven't seen a steelie version yet, just the alloyed type, in the dark (Alto?) blue and Area 51.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I finally found one. Was worried about the 66.7" height as my wife's Terrain ia about that height and getting in with my bad back is hard.
Long story short...it won't work and I will look at a Maverick....
Enjoy folks.
PS it does look good in person!
At least with the SC you can adjust the lumbar and it would help your back , with Ford you have to adapt.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts