Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Google says: "Those aren't mud flaps, they are wheel spats. Their purpose is to deflect air before it hits the rear tire for aerodynamics. Watch a car that has them when driving in the rain, they do work - at least on a car."

Interesting
Interesting indeed. I checked further and they're called strakes, like on a boat. 🚤

Spats were used on the fenders, like in the old days. At least from what I found. Before my time! :LOL:

For our SCs, the ones in the back are larger/deeper because of the high ground clearance. I dunno if there are smaller ones up front.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Would be nice to see how it does in the winter. I had a SC reserved but decided to go with a gladiator for next few years for a number of reasons.
Solid choice. Due to have studded 18" Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10 put on in a few weeks. I'll let everyone know how they do on the sand and gravel. Also I need to rig up a shortwave antenna of some type; with the trail discussion going on it gave me some ideas... Using an icom 705 in a backpack so it's not permanently mounted.

I do wish there was a solid place to put a tow ring on. I don't expect this to be an off roader but if I am back roads I don't want to have to be cold and frustrated trying not to crack brittle-cold trim in frozen snow because I happened to have a couple wheels in a rut and need a pullout.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well the biggest factor was the wife has always wanted a convertible and gladiator was the best thing that fit us and three kids, truck, and ticked all the boxes. Wife has a palisade and could not be more impressed with a first model year from a manufacturer. No doubt SC gonna be a truck to count on.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yeah…I don’t like the lack of tow points either.
Same here and I don't off road or deal with snow.

For an "adventure vehicle" the lack of tow points is an oversight on Hyundai's part, especially on a uni-body vehicle. With a BOF truck you can always grab the frame somewhere. Might be worth having the trailer hitch installed just so you have place to grab in the rear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've found that these flaps, help protect the rear wheel from getting sharp objects slung back at them from the front wheels. This has happen several times while driving through NY where the front wheel would sling something off the road back towards the rear wheels. The vehicle at that time was a VW Jetta (without these flaps) and ended up with a 4 inch knife stuck in the passenger side tire.. Land Rover and other UK models have these flaps.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've found that these flaps, help protect the rear wheel from getting sharp objects slung back at them from the front wheels. This has happen several times while driving through NY where the front wheel would sling something off the road back towards the rear wheels. The vehicle at that time was a VW Jetta (without these flaps) and ended up with a 4 inch knife stuck in the passenger side tire.. Land Rover and other UK models have these flaps.
Yow! o_O

·
Registered
30 Posts
Follow up. One other thing, some of these flaps aren't place in front of the rear wheels. More over they are placed near or in front of critical chases components as a means of sling back protection. So doe it really have a purpose? Depend on the placement and your point of view.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.