Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually prefer lighter colors in Texas as it does make a difference on interior temp. I'm not so sure about white with the silver front though, but do like the Hampton Gray which with the "floating roof" design of the SC might lend itself to a roof wrap in a matching light silver from the grill. Thoughts?

Or perhaps just the center roof section that bright light silver and skip the pillars?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Two- tones can look very nice, but it's very hard to get it right -- so that it doesn't look like a taxi cab or a police car. So, I vote for just the roof. For temperature control, not for appearance.

·
Registered
2006 Frontier
56 Posts
Skip the front pillars, look at FJs, or the new Chevy Trailblazer ( two tone option) for ideas...how about the back pillars down to the bed line? Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
511 Posts
It looks best, to me, on that sky blue CH-R. The amount of contrast with the main color plays a big part. I usually like two-tones where the hues are the same and only the brightness changes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did a 2 tone wrap on my Soul to break up the roof from the body, then added the spoiler & painted to match the wrap. I also smoked the tail lights & Kia emblem to accent the black that was already there, for a more seamless appearance.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Cloud Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

That said, I have been toying with the idea of a wrap on the SC as well. My thought was to come off of the hard body line from the door mirror and up. So basically, follow that hard line all the way around the back, and wrap the "A" pillar and roof as well. Visually with tinted windows, it would make the roof "disappear".

I have no PS skills, so can only imagine how it would look. 🤔 🤷‍♂️

It is a totally different vehicle, so why not make it look different?!

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
861 Posts
Screw the Hot Wheels ... I had the real life (albeit 4-door) Gran Torino Brougham! Louder than a bloody diesel train too. About 7mpg around town. If I tweaked the carbs just right I could pull 19 on the highway. Wish it had AC though ... those were some hot summer trips to Indiana and back with the windows down.

Reactions: Chuck

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a two tone wrap a dealer did, black roof and mirrors on center part only, not pillars, along with a N style bright blue.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Grille

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very nice. All of them, that blue can pull off the contrast needed. With Hampton Gray I would do the pillars in silver, unless there was some kind of swoop on the back; say a curved baha style cage on the truckbed to continue the roof contrast. That Franco design would be just the ticket for a silver roof

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice. All of them, that blue can pull off the contrast needed. With Hampton Gray I would do the pillars in silver, unless there was some kind of swoop on the back; say a curved baha style cage on the truckbed to continue the roof contrast. That Franco design would be just the ticket for a silver roof
So if I went bargain basement with a SE or SEL without the activity package, I believe it doesn't get the roof rails, which would make wrapping the whole roof probably easier, and gives a bit of a different look... again, probably look better in real life since I'm not great with photo editing to simulate a silver that matches the grill.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the lower roof look of the SE and SEL 01-Standard. Has a much more street sport feel to my eyes.
Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards a just very basic SE model. Replacing interior lights with LED is super easy and cheap. I'd install projectors in similar color to match the LED DRL array, do a wrap, tint the front glass to match the back, and then should be all set. I kind of prefer the wireless AA/CP anyway, and the physical controls on the HVAC. Might even consider consider going black instead of gray, which would also contrast nicely with the bright silver wrap that will keep the cab cool. Although in theory the SE should be one of the slowest in its class, testers said it felt plenty peppy, perhaps good torque curve and efficient transmission helping there.

Going to wait for the Maverick though so I can try them both back to back and decide.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just found this product, I might try this instead of a wrap:

The advantage over the similar product plastidip is that you can then use any spray paint, including a perfect match for the silver grill, and peel it if you don't like it, and you could do designs. Should be cheaper than a wrap.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards a just very basic SE model. Replacing interior lights with LED is super easy and cheap. I'd install projectors in similar color to match the LED DRL array, do a wrap, tint the front glass to match the back, and then should be all set. I kind of prefer the wireless AA/CP anyway, and the physical controls on the HVAC. Might even consider consider going black instead of gray, which would also contrast nicely with the bright silver wrap that will keep the cab cool. Although in theory the SE should be one of the slowest in its class, testers said it felt plenty peppy, perhaps good torque curve and efficient transmission helping there.

Going to wait for the Maverick though so I can try them both back to back and decide.
Best thing for those concerned about SE or SEL power is to test drive one. At almost 62 years old driving a Honda CRV 2.4L NA now, the power is fine for me. I was all set on the SE AWD, but since the Insider Reservation Program failed me, I'm now opening up to a SEL AWD 01-Standard (non-Activity Package) too. I'm not willing to change my Blue Stone color choice, so locating either is a real problem right now. That should change over time.

I'd jump on a Canadian Preferred base model Turbo/DCT if that was offered in the US. Best of everything I want (and take my chances with the DCT and possible carbon buildup). It even has a leather (heated) steering wheel! That leather feels nice on the hands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
.My thought is that people will hold onto vehicles for longer than expected at this point, needing a reliable supply chain, which Hyandai is stocked pretty well on. The SC has some non traditional parts like self leveling shocks - even on the Base which would likely be annoying when due to swap. Figure 2-3x But unless we want to drive state produced vehicles... I just put a deposited down on a premium and I'm still debating. I pat a deposit down on a premium (not a reservation) and I'm still debating about an SE

My thoughts on trying to match a sage grey two tone. It is a tricky color to play a design well The sage is kind of like working with pink hue. Pink is that some of the better camo patterns have used. Needs something bright blends in with the sky. Dark and it hides in the shadow.

So it takes a little side step to make it work. A two tone in similar flat color let's you nail it down (flat grey or dark grey or a while)

Then a sliver of something bright to make it work, something like a burt orange. Silver might not work if it' too bright on its own. Even just white might be tricky without a line of yellow or neon color somewhere

1 - 18 of 18 Posts