Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai decides to do the unthinkable? Price the Santa Cruz as close as possible to the Maverick's trim levels. That would be Hyundai's "GUT PUNCH" back to Ford. Does anyone think it is possible, why it is taking so long for the price annoncement from Hyundai? What reason? Because I would really like Hyundai to get into the Truck building business as well. The more competition the better!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hyundai decides to do the unthinkable? Price the Santa Cruz as close as possible to the Maverick's trim levels. That would be Hyundai's "GUT PUNCH" back to Ford. Does anyone think it is possible, why it is taking so long for the price annoncement from Hyundai? What reason? Because I would really like Hyundai to get into the Truck building business as well. The more competition the better!
This is taking the usual time for Hyundai to release pricing. On new products they don't release pricing until just before product starts to ship to the dealerships. Usually the cars start to hit the dealer lots about 2 weeks after pricing is released.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is taking the usual time for Hyundai to release pricing. On new products they don't release pricing until just before product starts to ship to the dealerships. Usually the cars start to hit the dealer lots about 2 weeks after pricing is released.
Really? This is the first Hyundai I have ever been interested in. When I first saw the SC about 6 weeks ago, I couldn't beleive Hyundai could make such a cool looking vehicle...'lest to me. I hoping for the best. Fingers crossed!!!

Reactions: Chuck

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hyundai has chosen to build a more upscale product, the interior & exterior design of the SC reflects this. Thus I do not expect competitive pricing against the Maverick on the lower end trims.

The pricing of the SC was determined long before the Maverick was released. Did Ford's announcement throw a monkey wrench into Hyundai's plans? Oh for sure. However Ford had announced very early on they intended to make a sub $20k product. The shocker was the hybrid base model with 40 MPG that nobody predicted that.

Hyundai may have adjusted SC pricing slightly but I bet most of their return volley will be marketing related, IE: dealer training, advertising, incentive programs, etc. Dealers are left to explain "why" a SC is worth more due to the better tech, warranty, standard features and so on.

Without knowing SC sales targets we have no idea what will be considered a success for this product. If they sell 2,000 units a month is that "good" ? If they only sell 1,000 units will they lower the price? Time will time... but whatever price they announce do not expect a discount on a brand new vehicle that has (as we've been lead to believe) limited quantities.

·
Registered
510 Posts
And, of course, the normal process of 'just build some more,' if sales really take off, is blocked by the chip shortage. ("Never let a crisis go to waste.")

Reactions: Uffdaphil

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hyundai has chosen to build a more upscale product, the interior & exterior design of the SC reflects this. Thus I do not expect competitive pricing against the Maverick on the lower end trims.

The pricing of the SC was determined long before the Maverick was released. Did Ford's announcement throw a monkey wrench into Hyundai's plans? Oh for sure. However Ford had announced very early on they intended to make a sub $20k product. The shocker was the hybrid base model with 40 MPG that nobody predicted that.

Hyundai may have adjusted SC pricing slightly but I bet most of their return volley will be marketing related, IE: dealer training, advertising, incentive programs, etc. Dealers are left to explain "why" a SC is worth more due to the better tech, warranty, standard features and so on.

Without knowing SC sales targets we have no idea what will be considered a success for this product. If they sell 2,000 units a month is that "good" ? If they only sell 1,000 units will they lower the price? Time will time... but whatever price they announce do not expect a discount on a brand new vehicle that has (as we've been lead to believe) limited quantities.
I see your point. If that is what Hyundai decided upon in the first place. That is fine. But if it was me...If the Santz Cruz comes with-in 2k of a Honda Ridgeline>>>no brainer<<< Ridgeline>>>>there I go. You ca buy a Colorado ZR1>71 whatever with a rear locker i think for 35 and change. But that is buying a Chevrolet....uh oh.....I would rather sell 50k good vehicles for 30k than a couple thousand of so so vehicles for 40K

·
Registered
724 Posts
Darci - Am I right in understanding that you have a 1) Ford Bronco 2) Ford Maverick 3) Hyundai Santa Cruz all reserved? If so, are you planning on buying all three? And now a Honda Ridgeline comes into play if pricing is too high???

·
Registered
510 Posts
...I would rather sell 50k good vehicles for 30k than a couple thousand of so so vehicles for 40K
"Yes, we are losing a little, but we make up for it in volume!"

Reactions: Vols

·
Registered
237 Posts
I even forgot to push the post button this morning with this post ..LOL Needed more coffee

Well, I've got a Maverick and a Cruz Reserved... Whichever one speaks to me gets the dough :)
But to put it in a real light:
The Cruz will most likely get here first so that will affect an even playing field
But if the Cruz comes in too expensive for me...I won't even test drive it..Sorry, don't want to be tempted to break my own rule on how much I want to spend.
But if the SEL or SE comes in at the right price, I'll drive it, and "IF" the sticker price it good.. I'll probably buy it because I like the style and I do like Hyundai because I feel like they really are trying to be the price leader with vehicles that are really good..
Do I feel they are as good as Honda or Toyota No-Not yet..The Ridgeline has a history of 200-300-400,000 miles and beyond.. It is well known... Toyota the same way... Known for longevity with minimum breakage with a good maintenance plan.

The Maverick... I'm pretty sure the price will be fine unless the dealers try to pull the same BS they are with the Bronco Then I'm gone....
I'm not sold on the interior of the Maverick and honestly, I've test-driven an older Escape 2012 +/- and it felt pretty cheap inside, I'm pretty sure the Cruz will feel like a luxury vehicle on the inside compared to the Maverick.
But is it enough to draw me away from the Hybrid FWD I ordered? I mean "Come on Man" 40mpg city and this is 95% or my driving time.
Plus, I like the slightly bigger bed, I know it's not much but I like it... Is it a deal-breaker for the Cruz..Nope but I like it
I like the exterior of the Maverick, maybe a little more than the Cruz...Maybe, but up close and personal might be a different story....Do I want 1990's or do I want 2020's styling?
Let's keep it real....MPG I drive app 400 miles a month If I just take a number out of my hat.. gas $3.50 gal. Cruz would cost (based on 26mpg-Tucson) $53.85 to drive
The Maverick is based on 40MPG (We all know this isn't a real number) 400 miles...40mpg 10gal. $35.00 to drive roughly a $20 savings a month over the cruz
Now take my Chevy at 13.5 mpg at 400 miles 29.6 gals. x $3.5 = $103 Now you know that either one would be a big welcome in my family :) So over my current Truck, I either get a $50 savings a month with the Cruz or a $68 savings with the Maverick.
So for me, there is an $18 a month difference between the Cruz and Maverick based off my Trucks MPG...Not really a big deal
That brings the two closer together...
Now, Warranty... Okay, the Cruz wins and yea this is a BIG win...for the Cruz..
So at the end of this big Coffee induced early morning sleepy brain spittle of words ... The Cruz wins... Let's hope they keep their Mission statement in mind when they price the Cruz because they could kill the one vehicle that will help them pull ahead of the big boys and bump them up to their level...
Good Luck Hyundai and remember your humble beginnings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darci - I'm I right in understanding that you have a 1) Ford Bronco 2) Ford Maverick 3) Hyundai Santa Cruz all reserved? If so, are you planning on buying all three? And now a Honda Ridgeline comes into play if pricing is too high???
This will be long.I have been following a few vehicles for a few years now. I ordered(reserved) the Bronco on July 20th 2020. Had dealer order in October 27th. Get emails from Ford about delays, etc etc etc.. Then I saw the introduction of the Maverick, on TV. I can't beleive I didn't see that one coming.>>>Or the Santa Cruz, which I found out about afew days later. I knew about the Bronco coming and it's baby. Was thrilled with the the way Both Broncos preformed off road , Micky's hot tub, ****'s revenge....Now a year later no Bronco,> to be a 2022 Ford told me in an e-mail. Will not have price increase. Ford added accoustic insulation for free on the hardtop. Plus extra rewards, because of no fault on me. So I was going to cancel it, now I will see. I looked at Ridgeline, 2019. I really liked it. Thought it was expensive(AWD). I saw where twice it over heated going off road. From a couple Youtube sites I subscribe to. So it took it out completely of me owning. Those off road tests were against Ranger and Colorado, Gladiator. Not doing any tuff off road either. I also watched many a video of the Jeep Wrangler, and Cherokee Trailhawk. The Cherokee is pretty impressive for an SUV, as was the Bronco Sport Badlands. I understand this Maverick does NOT offer the Dual clutch AWD as in the Badlands Bronco Sport. Dam.... I don't know much of anything about the Santa Cruz AWD. I know this, our lab courier has had three Hyundai Accents. (in 16 years) Gets new ones when the mileage turns 250K. Amazing. So that is main reason the Santa Cruz is on my list. I have some priorities, too. One fit my garage. I hate what the sun does to vehicles. I also have, had the Nissan Frontier 4x4 on my list. 300,000 mile vehicles. The new 3.8 V-6 has me tepid about it. Nissan's new engine designs are not the wisest. Why??? I had F-150's on my list. A freind has owned 2, and just bought a new one,(previous one 2017, 5.0 V-8, 110k miles) Got the 3.5 ecoboost. Loves it. They are out of the question. Pricing! My dealership a Ram, Jeep , Dodge Chrysler beleives RAM and Jeep are kissed by God, and priced accordingly. That 5k to 10k added on dealer GREED OPTION! So I took them off immediately. The way Chevrolet treated me with my last Chevrolet became my last GM vehicle EVER. They produce junk, and expect people to put out with their" well you will just have to live with it" actually told to me, attitude. So.... I will probably Buy the Bronco I ordered a Base Oxford White, 2.7 V-6, Sasquatch, Tow package, and aux light pk. I will see what the others two are like. This being if the Bronco comes out first. If not I will compare Maverick against SC. I wanted to spent 35k tops. The Bronco lists for 41,720. If I really, really like it I will keep it. (had sticker shock at first, but this Bronco has dual locking axles!) The Maverick is a Lariat 2.0 turbo, FX4, AWD, dropin bedliner, Tow pak, passenger side tool box for 33k and change The SC and Maverick are alittle cheaper, have a bed, and four doors. The value as it stands is hands down the Maverick. It's pricing, unless you go ful tilt is good. So when I post here, I'm praying that Hyundai can decontent the lower versions and offer turbo AWD on them as well. Why must value minded buyer suffer when they just want awd and have to pay 40k plus!!! But I have no idea of Hyundai. So... again sorry for so long. Oh if I do decide to buy the Maverick or SC, I will sell the Bronco. it was for Darci and Sissi and I to off-roading in. Darci passed away 7 weeks ago, it made me see that I'm not youg anymore either(will be 64), I love hiking, and fishing, which Darci loved to do too Sissi not so much. Darci was a Bichon BTW. Sissi a Maltese both rescues. Funny huh. So I am here info gathering. I hope I can help others as well. Everyone should get the exact vehicle they want and it be a good experience. I have found youtube to be a good tool. Be aware people push to sell products. view the videos that show actual facts, not opinions. My best advice is to go with your gut, get exact what YOU want. I saw a Santa Cruz on I 75 at 5am in the morning. It was white that front end is sweet looking at night! I liked the whole look of it. Hope this helps. Oh>> my main concern with the SC is the electronic dash, scares me.

Reactions: CASD

·
Registered
724 Posts
Was just curious of your actual purchase plans. Wouldn't buying the Bronco just to resell it be a big financial hit? I get the fit in the garage thing. Put a 4" lift on my 4X4 project Travelall and now it won't fit in the garage (too high). I'm actually thinking about removing the brand new never used 4" lift and going with a 2" if that is enough to make it clear. I also get how the 40mpg Maverick FWD has thrown a wrench in many peoples buying plans. I'd love 40mpg in the city. Don't need AWD there either, but the lack of an AWD Hybrid Maverick offering kills that 40mpg dream; plus the looks really aren't "me" at all. I'll likely move ahead with a base model SE Santa Cruz AWD now if priced under $30K OTD, but my eyes will be open for a Santa Cruz Hybrid and/or N-line down the road. By then there should be plenty of reliability and function information out there to make a better decision. I can see myself being happy with a base SE AWD for years to come, as my tastes have moved to style and function more than performance as I age.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts