Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we were doing paperwork at the dealer, the finance guy mentioned the vehicle regularly sends data back to Hyundai. Does anyone know what is sent and how it is used? Does it include what my wife and I say to each other while we are on our way somewhere? Does it report where we went and how fast we drove to get there? Should owners be told what kinds of data are sent to Hyundai?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Agreed... It would be nice to know entirely what, and when, it sends.

This is what I can recall at this time, but it is certainly not all inclusive...
It sends vehicle status to the MyHyundai app; odometer, status for door locks, fuel level. Two way commands for remote start and if vehicle is running. I think odometer triggers service reminder messages, but I haven't got to that mileage yet.
You can set up a service appointment.
SOS crash needing help. I think that sends GPS position and initiates 2 way voice communication.
GPS position to locate car.
Calculates a driving score that can be shared to insurance companies. That has settings to disable it. Not sure if it still gathers the data.
Voice command does voice recognition when button on steering wheel is pressed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed... It would be nice to know entirely what, and when, it sends.

This is what I can recall at this time, but it is certainly not all inclusive...
It sends vehicle status to the MyHyundai app; odometer, status for door locks, fuel level. Two way commands for remote start and if vehicle is running. I think odometer triggers service reminder messages, but I haven't got to that mileage yet.
You can set up a service appointment.
SOS crash needing help. I think that sends GPS position and initiates 2 way voice communication.
GPS position to locate car.
Calculates a driving score that can be shared to insurance companies. That has settings to disable it. Not sure if it still gathers the data.
Voice command does voice recognition when button on steering wheel is pressed.
We have iPhones. My understanding is the remote start is an option only with an Android phone. I have no apps. related to Hyundai or our Santa Cruz.
A week or so back there was a news story about a woman who filed to access data her Amazon Alexa had collected on her. She was amazed at the extent of what had been gathered without her knowledge. I can understand collecting information that helps design cars to serve customer needs better and to keep customers safer while driving. Humans being what we are, there is always the temptation to snoop and eavesdrop. A few weeks ago I and a friend were having a phone conversation on our smart phones. I mentioned barbells for weight lifting. The next day an advertisement for barbells appeared on my Facebook page. I had never before seen an advertisement for barbells on Facebook. Once data has been gathered, will it be shared for cash, or might it one day be stolen in a data breach?
As someone said, “Just because you are paranoid does not mean someone is not after you.”

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity - SoCal
1,689 Posts
This is a good and very valid question. Unfortunately it applies to so many things today. I'm one of those people that has NEVER downloaded an APP and I never update phone software from what it is purchased with; always fully unlocked from the factory.

As for Hyundai in general and the Santa Cruz models specifically, does the car somehow collect this information on the SE too that doesn't have BlueLink or other models without BlueLink activated? My VW Beetle collected information somewhere, because the dealers knew my over 100mph driving habits. My Mini Cooper collected and stored information on the key fob, but I don't know what that included.

We live in a scary world when it comes to privacy these days. As to your barbell comments. Sitting in my living room with what is supposed to be a non-smart TV connected to AT&T U-verse and my iPhone sitting on the coffee table, my brother and I were having a conversation about having to recently replace the water heater. It was the latest major maintenance expense issue to come up out of the blue. I commented that the only thing left to go out is the 60 year old house heater and if it does I will have to get central air conditioning at that point (another major expense I don't need right now). The next thing I know when going to the internet on my iPhone I'm getting Air Conditioning advertising, which I have NEVER got before nor have I searched on AC at all. :oops:

With the crazy cancel culture of late, these kind of things are a major concern. Everyone already knows the prices you receive when doing online purchases are not the same for everyone and may go up or down for a variety of reasons. The most famous is Scamazon Prime users thinking they are getting a deal with next day shipping, when Scamazon ups the prices to Prime users to make up for it. 😱

PS: I don't use any CLOUD services either, but does that mean my personal information and photos aren't being sent into cyberspace? Who knows?

I just bought THIS cool little self backup tech piece to backup my personal stuff independently. It claims you don't need to download an APP to use it. Just use your standard OS file management system. We will see...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a good and very valid question. Unfortunately it applies to so many things today. I'm one of those people that has NEVER downloaded an APP and I never update phone software from what it is purchased with; always fully unlocked from the factory.

As for Hyundai in general and the Santa Cruz models specifically, does the car somehow collect this information on the SE too that doesn't have BlueLink or other models without BlueLink activated? My VW Beetle collected information somewhere, because the dealers knew my over 100mph driving habits. My Mini Cooper collected and stored information on the key fob, but I don't know what that included.

We live in a scary world when it comes to privacy these days. As to your barbell comments. Sitting in my living room with what is supposed to be a non-smart TV connected to AT&T U-verse and my iPhone sitting on the coffee table, my brother and I were having a conversation about having to recently replace the water heater. It was the latest major maintenance expense issue to come up out of the blue. I commented that the only thing left to go out is the 60 year old house heater and if it does I will have to get central air conditioning at that point (another major expense I don't need right now). The next thing I know when going to the internet on my iPhone I'm getting Air Conditioning advertising, which I have NEVER got before nor have I searched on AC at all. :oops:

With the crazy cancel culture of late, these kind of things are a major concern. Everyone already knows the prices you receive when doing online purchases are not the same for everyone and may go up or down for a variety of reasons. The most famous is Scamazon Prime users thinking they are getting a deal with next day shipping, when Scamazon ups the prices to Prime users to make up for it. 😱

PS: I don't use any CLOUD services either, but does that mean my personal information and photos aren't being sent into cyberspace? Who knows?

I just bought THIS cool little self backup tech piece to backup my personal stuff independently. It claims you don't need to download an APP to use it. Just use your standard OS file management system. We will see...
Your post reminds me of a magazine article I read on an airplane back in the early 1980s. Businessmen from Minnesota were traveling on business in China. Two were in the back seat of a taxi. Allegedly, the driver did not understand English. The car radio was playing. One guy from Minnesota said to the other, “I hate that (curse word) Chinese music.” Immediately, the driver tuned the radio to a different station.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.