Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If all goes fabulously smooth, I should be taking delivery of a limited that's equipped with a set of 20 inch wheels mid September
I'm interested in doing a swap with someone within 4 hours of drive from Austin, TX, who wants to trade their 18 inch wheels OEM wheels and tires for my 20 inch OEM wheels and tires

we'll inspect the tires and wheels prior to agreeing a meet up, and I'll bring a floor jack, 4 jack stands, torque wrench and correct socket for the job.

my understanding is that the TPMS in the 18" and 20" should be the exact same specification, swapping the wheels will just trigger the vehicle to relearn the new TPMS sensors ID after driving for a while. The worst case scenario is that after the swap, both of our vehicles need to go to a shop for a scan tool manual ID reprogram, hopefully that's not the case.

Changed circumstances, my delivery got pushed early to August 22nd, and could be even earlier. And after researching, I'm going with these

with everything out of stock, these are almost exact size as OEM 18" wheels, just 1.5mm offset deviation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Out of curiosity, why would you want to swap out your 20s? I think they look nicer, is there a drawback with the larger rim size?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I intend to do some softroading. The 20" are just asking for issues with no sidewall height.
That makes sense. I saw a video of the base model rims and they don't look near as bad as I thought they would. Sounds like there is some upside to the smaller rims. Now I just have to wait for the SE AWD's to hit my market.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Out of curiosity, why would you want to swap out your 20s? I think they look nicer, is there a drawback with the larger rim size?
the OEM 18 is mostly black painted, they look cool, 20" OEM got too much machined aluminum look.
That's just subjective preference.

in terms of size, I bet the majority of people, myself including, will fail to tell a difference driving on either 18" or 20"
theoretically 18" you get more tire selection and cheaper tires
more sidewall will offer slightly better ride, but I think the OEM 20" 50 series tires are okay, my Miata was 45 series and I didn't complain nor hit a pothole bad enough to damage it

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still waiting for Tire Rack to get the Santa Cruz or the 2022 Tucson on their website for Aftermarket.
for me I kinda want to stay within OEM wheels because I really don't want to deal with hub rings if the aftermarket wheels are not tailored to fit the exact bore size. Maybe the sparcos are exact fit for Hyundai

if they all share the same lug pattern, I think these Santa Fe wheels 18" black ones look good too

·
Registered
63 Posts
good idea, I'm hoping for a Limited but not liking the 20" wheels....may have to go to a Premium or get a new set of rims & tires

·
Registered
350 Posts
for me I kinda want to stay within OEM wheels because I really don't want to deal with hub rings if the aftermarket wheels are not tailored to fit the exact bore size. Maybe the sparcos are exact fit for Hyundai

if they all share the same lug pattern, I think these Santa Fe wheels 18" black ones look good too

View attachment 1242
I really like those off the SF XRT. I tried finding the part # to check on price, but it doesn't look like the XRT is added into the parts fiche yet.
I know people had speculated about an N or N-Line SC, but I have a feeling before we see either of those that we may see a Santa Cruz XRT. They just added one to the Tucson which starts production this month. On the Tucson, the XRT package includes matte black fr/rr skid plates, dark chrome grill, dark chrome front H logo, dark chrome styling elements, prominent side cladding, side steps, black mirrors, 19" black alloy wheels, tow hitch, roof cross rails, black cloth seats & black headliner.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really like those off the SF XRT. I tried finding the part # to check on price, but it doesn't look like the XRT is added into the parts fiche yet.
That got me curious and I took a look too at Hyundai OEM Parts Direct
daaaaang, those are expensive, unless they are inflated prices, one can get it much cheaper?

·
Registered
510 Posts
The wheel locks that are port installed on the SC are priced at $65 -- I guess 'labor' is the other $40.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I too would downsize, lighter wheels plus cheaper rubber = winning. However I find the stock 18"s aren't that great looking. Thus I'll go aftermarket most likely at some point in the future and just sell the OEM 20"s. Factory wheels (all makes, all models) are massively overpriced.

And I'd pay $65 for them to NOT install those stupid wheel locks!

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I too would downsize, lighter wheels plus cheaper rubber = winning. However I find the stock 18"s aren't that great looking. Thus I'll go aftermarket most likely at some point in the future and just sell the OEM 20"s. Factory wheels (all makes, all models) are massively overpriced.

And I'd pay $65 for them to NOT install those stupid wheel locks!
interesting about weight, smaller wheel is definitely lighter than bigger wheel, but to have the same tire diameter, you'll need more rubber, which has weight too.
So might not be guaranteed weight reduction for the total mass of the wheel with tire mounted.

and I do agree that wheel locks are stupid
  • Can't really defeat theft because anyone with a socket and a hammer can brute force it out
  • wheel lock key can't use impact wrench on
  • they don't color match if you have special color lug nuts
and plus, in this day and age, nobody steals wheels anymore, thieves rather cut the catalytic converter in less than 3 minutes than spending 10 mins dismounting wheels

1 - 20 of 77 Posts