Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Corvette Z51
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure of the forum rules on linking to other sites, but I found pictures of a white Sant Cruz spotted in traffic at the below link.

This seems to be closer to the production vehicle since it has the (comically small) sliding rear glass. I really wish Hyundai would have went with the full sliding rear glass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks nice! I wasn't sure about the white...

I've never been a fan of the pastel/desert colors... I like the red/white/blue traditional colors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
White and black on my list of never again colors. Black is too hot in FL and white, even when clean, just doesn't stand out to me. My wife had a pearl white Volvo and after I finishing waxing it I would look back and you couldn't even tell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
White and black on my list of never again colors. Black is too hot in FL and white, even when clean, just doesn't stand out to me. My wife had a pearl white Volvo and after I finishing waxing it I would look back and you couldn't even tell.
LOL.. that's what I love about white, once you clean it... it still looks clean for a long time and any other color looks dirty with just a little dust... I was afraid this vehicle in while would be too girly-looking - no offense to any girlies - but doesn't look bad at all to me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Welcome @Vols!

Did you reserve one? If so, how did you spec it?

It sure looks like a production spec Santa Cruz and the image here of it next to an older Frontier and a new Highlander provides some great sizing perspective.

There's also this one of it side-by-side with a Nissan NV

·
Registered
2008 Corvette Z51
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome @Vols!

Did you reserve one? If so, how did you spec it?
Thank you! I have not reserved one yet, but I have been following the SC very closely and will likely end up with a Limited in the near future. I want to see the colors in person, but I'll likely end up with Sage Gray or Desert Sand. I'm disappointed the Calypso Red from the 2022 Tucson isn't offered, but I like colors that are different than the sea of grays, blacks, and whites that have taken over the auto industry.

I am 100% Hyundai's target demographic and I think they've done a great job. I previously owned a 2016 Canyon and the interior/technology was embarrassing for the price. It was close to $40k new and didn't even have push button start, but I did not want or need to daily drive a full size. Now I drive a C6 Corvette, but we're about to start the family thing so time to move on.

I'm holding off on a reservation to see what Ford offers in the Maverick. I'd also like to check out the refreshed Ridgeline and see how pricing compares to the Santa Cruz. Before the refresh, you could find fully loaded Ridgelines discounted to ~$38k. I figure by the time I'm able to drive the SC, the Ridgeline might have similar pricing. I am also holding out in hopes the Hyundai offers a hybrid version, but I'm concerned the towing would be less than the 5000lbs I need for my boat/camper.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thank you! I have not reserved one yet, but I have been following the SC very closely and will likely end up with a Limited in the near future. I want to see the colors in person, but I'll likely end up with Sage Gray or Desert Sand. I'm disappointed the Calypso Red from the 2022 Tucson isn't offered, but I like colors that are different than the sea of grays, blacks, and whites that have taken over the auto industry.

I am 100% Hyundai's target demographic and I think they've done a great job. I previously owned a 2016 Canyon and the interior/technology was embarrassing for the price. It was close to $40k new and didn't even have push button start, but I did not want or need to daily drive a full size. Now I drive a C6 Corvette, but we're about to start the family thing so time to move on.

I'm holding off on a reservation to see what Ford offers in the Maverick. I'd also like to check out the refreshed Ridgeline and see how pricing compares to the Santa Cruz. Before the refresh, you could find fully loaded Ridgelines discounted to ~$38k. I figure by the time I'm able to drive the SC, the Ridgeline might have similar pricing. I am also holding out in hopes the Hyundai offers a hybrid version, but I'm concerned the towing would be less than the 5000lbs I need for my boat/camper.
What specs are you hoping to see in the Ford Maverick and the refreshed Ridgeline?

Although pricing isn't official, I see the Santa Cruz being around $10,000 cheaper to start than a base Ridgeline.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, sad, that rear glass is purely going to be something you open up for ventilation. The fact that its manual though means you'll probably never even use it. It doesn't even go low enough to be used as a pass through since the SC has no collapsing midgate like some older short bed vehicles had.

Only positive thing I can say about it is that at least it doesn't have a frame around it hurting visibility, but I'd honestly rather have nothing than that pitiful porthole.

I have to say overall its a homerun, but that rear glass not dropping down entirely has to be the biggest mistake with the design so far hands down.

·
Registered
2008 Corvette Z51
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What specs are you hoping to see in the Ford Maverick and the refreshed Ridgeline?

Although pricing isn't official, I see the Santa Cruz being around $10,000 cheaper to start than a base Ridgeline.
I like all the creature comforts offered on higher trims so pricing between top of the line models will probably be pretty similar between the SC and Ridgeline after incentives. I like that the SC will have vented seats, better highway driving assistance, and overall just a more modern/sophisticated cabin. However, I like the larger, flat bed and flat second row on the Ridgeline. I also like how Honda added some uncommon features to stand out like the two-way tailgate, in-bed audio, and second row seats that fold up to allow for a ton of cargo space. I really wish Hyundai would have taken this opportunity to add unique little features that match the uniqueness of the vehicle. The rollup tonneau cover is a nice touch, but that's really the only unusual thing. I understand the penny pinchers or legal department probably prevented a full powered rear window, but it would have been a fantastic touch. Overall, I will have to see just how small a 4ft bed is in person, but I think I will still be leaning SC.

For the Maverick, I just want to see Ford's interpretation of the segment since so much is unknown. I was astounded at the SC tow rating and the Maverick would have to tow at least ~4000 lbs. It's speculated the price of the Maverick will start lower and even rumored a hybrid will be offered. I figured by the time I am able to drive a SC at my local dealer there will be more information about the Maverick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This article popped into my news feed the other day, and it got me thinking maybe white is the way to go. I think it looks great in white.

Also, I own a Frontier that looks a lot like the one in those pictures. Same maroon color, though I've got a full-size bed and 4WD in mine. But anyone who knocks the Santa Cruz for not being a "real truck" needs to examine these pictures. That Frontier is all cab and no bed. It's disproportionate and front-heavy, and looks like it had a cafeteria tray tacked on the back as an afterthought.

I agree the Santa Cruz can't do everything a full-size truck can do. But 95% of the trucks I see on the road aren't actually doing truck things. They're just commuting or going to the store. I don't know if the Santa Cruz will sell well, but the truth is it does everything most truck buyers need it to do, plus it fits into a parking space and should provide a superior driving/riding experience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seems like the "ice white" is just plain white to me though, which is a bit boring. I love the pearl white they offer on Kias, but I don't think this is that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to agree with JASmith's comment that the sliding glass is a "pitiful porthole." I have to say that if it is an option, I'll skip it. But, the more I see of the Santa Cruz the more I like it.

·
Registered
2012 Mini Cooper 2007 Honda CR-V 1968 IH Travelall 4X4
37 Posts
Yeah, sad, that rear glass is purely going to be something you open up for ventilation....

Only positive thing I can say about it is that at least it doesn't have a frame around it hurting visibility, but I'd honestly rather have nothing than that pitiful porthole...
Now that I've seen the rear window "hole" more clearly in videos, at least it doesn't look bad. Glad it has a zero noticeable frame design.

One thing I'm hoping it will do is reduce wind buffeting when the side windows are cracked or down. With that said, accessing it may be too much of a hassle unless you are going on a long drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts