Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't get the hate so many traditional truck owners state in their comments on numerous websites about the Santa Cruz. It's like their manhood is being threatened by the new city slicker in town that has it all and all the ladies like him better. Hyundai tells them this isn't a truck, it's a Sport Adventure Vehicle (SAV) aimed at adventurous type people that can make use of its' utility on weekends, while having a good looking daily driver that isn't oversized or difficult to turn around or park. It also gets reasonably good gas mileage similar to other CUV's.

The Santa Cruz is designed in California for the California active lifestyle. It should sell like pancakes on church Sunday if priced right. It can eliminate the need for two vehicles for many people that only own a boxy unattractive square truck, because they currently don't have any other option until this for their minor truck related jobs. It will make a great daily driver that's fun and attractive, plus fulfills most peoples weekend adventure and odd job needs.

I say two thumbs up to Hyundai for finally building this 2015 prototype debut vehicle. If you need a real truck and like how traditional trucks look and drive, then get a real truck! Why the hate? The Santa Cruz shouldn't threaten you if you are truly happy with your boxy truck. Don't worry, be happy...

Why does this beauty threaten so many traditional truck owners? Any psychiatrist out there? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just don't get the hate so many traditional truck owners state in their comments on numerous websites about the Santa Cruz. It's like their manhood is being threatened by the new city slicker in town that has it all and all the ladies like him better. Hyundai tells them this isn't a truck, it's a Sport Adventure Vehicle (SAV) aimed at adventurous type people that can make use of its' utility on weekends, while having a good looking daily driver that isn't oversized or difficult to turn around or park. It also gets reasonably good gas mileage similar to other CUV's.

The Santa Cruz is designed in California for the California active lifestyle. It should sell like pancakes on church Sunday if priced right. It can eliminate the need for two vehicles for many people that only own a boxy unattractive square truck, because they currently don't have any other option until this for their minor truck related jobs. It will make a great daily driver that's fun and attractive, plus fulfills most peoples weekend adventure and odd job needs.

I say two thumbs up to Hyundai for finally building this 2015 prototype debut vehicle. If you need a real truck and like how traditional trucks look and drive, then get a real truck! Why the hate? The Santa Cruz shouldn't threaten you if you are truly happy with your boxy truck. Don't worry, be happy...

Why does this beauty threaten so many traditional truck owners? Any psychiatrist out there? :rolleyes:
agreed. I've owned a Ridgeline since 2006 (2 trucks), heard the comments for years mostly from ignorant types hiding behind a keyboard....fills a niche just like the Santa Cruz which is why I'm here and put my 100 down for a Limited Turbo in Blue Stone...looking forward to seeing one, hopefully soon

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
744 Posts
Things I hate about the Tacoma I sold:
  • Part-time 4WD is pretty useless in rain or on pavement. AWD suits me better
  • 4WD requires dedicated time spend in 4H and 4L each month to purposely lubricate the 4WD drivetrain. I had to go out of my way to find gravel roads in an urban city, not fun.
  • 17 mpg on a good day.
  • slow AF
  • no ventilated seats
SC limited AWD address them all and no other trucks check the above list that I can think of.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Similar to how folks view the Miata… they’re both for people who can’t afford the “real deal”. (Not how I feel, btw, just my impression of the situation)
The Miata is one of the best vehicles EVER made! >>>>>>fact<<<<<< The first generation....anyway!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ford built a "Sport Trac" based on the old Ranger that is similar to the SC...poor gas mileage and small truck bed killed it?

Old farts like me still drive 'em...saw one last week getting gas at Costco
The Maverick can haul 17 sheets of 1/2 plywood...thats all I needed to for the Maverick have one on order. ....can find info for the Santa Cruz

·
Registered
90 Posts
It stems back to the EL Camino, Ranchero days. They were sporty cars with limited haul(payload) capacity. I love the '68 to 72 ElCamino, and the '70 to 79 Rancheros.....they were never intended to go off road.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Things I hate about the Tacoma I sold:
  • Part-time 4WD is pretty useless in rain or on pavement. AWD suits me better
  • 4WD requires dedicated time spend in 4H and 4L each month to purposely lubricate the 4WD drivetrain. I had to go out of my way to find gravel roads in an urban city, not fun.
  • 17 mpg on a good day.
  • slow AF
  • no ventilated seats
SC limited AWD address them all and no other trucks check the above list that I can think of.
But sir I sir I want to go off-road when I move to New Mexico in two years. My Challenger just won't do. So I must have some kind of off road ability. AWD sometimes just doesn't get it. I was all in with the Big Bronco Sasquatch I ordered but that was 2020. Gas has went up over a dollar a gallon in eight months, and a saw a video of our President before election day stating 5 dollar agllon of gas scared the Be Jesus out of me. So I'm here, like I'm there on the Maverick Chat Forum, collecting info. The Bronco I dearly love>>>gas mileage has me worried. So I probably will buy the Bronco and sell it emmidiately. Then purchase the Maverick or Santa Cruz....which ever one is priced right. Pictured in my Avatar is the Bronco i have on order. Supposedly be at my dealership in September. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Maverick I have on order is a 2.0 turbo, Lariat, FX4, awd, Tow pk, drop in bedliner, bed lighting, passenger side tool box. 33k and change. The Big Bronco 41k. So you can compare to the Santa Cruz. I'm praying Hyundai doesn't over price this Truck. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Maverick can haul 17 sheets of 1/2 plywood...thats all I needed to for the Maverick have one on order. ....can find info for the Santa Cruz
I've seen pictures in a video somewhere but can't find it now. The Santa Cruz will haul full sheets the same way as the Maverick - they sit on top of the wheel wells in the bed and then with the tailgate moved to the 1/2 down position, the other end lays level across that. Hyundai Santa Cruz: Coolest Details and Easter Eggs

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've seen pictures in a video somewhere but can't find it now. The Santa Cruz will haul full sheets the same way as the Maverick - they sit on top of the wheel wells in the bed and then with the tailgate moved to the 1/2 down position, the other end lays level across that. Hyundai Santa Cruz: Coolest Details and Easter Eggs
Thank You Chuck!!!! But you made it harder for me to decide LOL.

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
744 Posts
But sir I sir I want to go off-road when I move to New Mexico in two years. My Challenger just won't do. So I must have some kind of off road ability. AWD sometimes just doesn't get it. I was all in with the Big Bronco Sasquatch I ordered but that was 2020. Gas has went up over a dollar a gallon in eight months, and a saw a video of our President before election day stating 5 dollar agllon of gas scared the Be Jesus out of me. So I'm here, like I'm there on the Maverick Chat Forum, collecting info. The Bronco I dearly love>>>gas mileage has me worried. So I probably will buy the Bronco and sell it emmidiately. Then purchase the Maverick or Santa Cruz....which ever one is priced right. Pictured in my Avatar is the Bronco i have on order. Supposedly be at my dealership in September. Fingers crossed.
How much off-road are you going to do? If just unpaved gravel roads AWD SC or Maverick will be more than enough.
I personally would NOT want to go fast on washboard roads in the SC because it's unibody. The max off-road I will do is gonna be occasional snow in Texas that the government ain't equipped to deal with, hence no plow no salt.
But if you off-road more, then get the Bronco, even at $5 dollars a gallon, gas is still cheap considering the inflation (gas was 3 dollars at some point during Obama's first term and a decade later it's still 3 dollars, gas price adjusted for inflation actually is dropping)

·
Registered
90 Posts
How much off-road are you going to do? If just unpaved gravel roads AWD SC or Maverick will be more than enough.
I personally would NOT want to go fast on washboard roads in the SC because it's unibody. The max off-road I will do is gonna be occasional snow in Texas that the government ain't equipped to deal with, hence no plow no salt.
But if you off-road more, then get the Bronco, even at $5 dollars a gallon, gas is still cheap considering the inflation (gas was 3 dollars at some point during Obama's first term and a decade later it's still 3 dollars, gas price adjusted for inflation actually is dropping)
You sir, mam, live in the great state of Texas. ( green with envy) love San Antonio Where gas is pretty cheap. here in Florida when Obama was in office gas got to over 4 dollars a gallon.....when it was over five in California. I should have moved to Texas when I could have 12 years ago. Homes were still reasonable. Homes here in Ft. Myers, if priced right, sell in one day. There are creeps here who want to steal every nickel and dime from people, here. disgusting. But anyway, I didn't know about the Santa Cruz, or the Maverick when I ordered the Bronco. The 2 door Bronco will fit in a garage. That is must for me. Vehicles last so much longer inside. My Challenger looks like new. The service person I had write up my service ticket for the last oil change asked my if I wanted to sell it.....young kid. My Challenger has 11500 miles and it's 3 years old, garage kept. So the SC and the Mav fit Garages too!!! A MAJOR PLUS! I just freakin like the looks of both the Maverick and the Santa Cruznods to SC. SC front end killer at night I saw one! But sorry so long, thank you for rationization. Sorry for the typos. Oh do you miss your Tacoma?

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
744 Posts
You sir, mam, live in the great state of Texas. ( green with envy) love San Antonio Where gas is pretty cheap. here in Florida when Obama was in office gas got to over 4 dollars a gallon.....when it was over five in California. I should have moved to Texas when I could have 12 years ago. Homes were still reasonable. Homes here in Ft. Myers, if priced right, sell in one day. There are creeps here who want to steal every nickel and dime from people, here. disgusting. But anyway, I didn't know about the Santa Cruz, or the Maverick when I ordered the Bronco. The 2 door Bronco will fit in a garage. That is must for me. Vehicles last so much longer inside. My Challenger looks like new. The service person I had write up my service ticket for the last oil change asked my if I wanted to sell it.....young kid. My Challenger has 11500 miles and it's 3 years old, garage kept. So the SC and the Mav fit Garages too!!! A MAJOR PLUS! I just freakin like the looks of both the Maverick and the Santa Cruznods to SC. SC front end killer at night I saw one! But sorry so long, thank you for rationization. Sorry for the typos. Oh do you miss your Tacoma?
I'm sure you'll end up buying the SC because it's the first available among those 3 options, Ford just doesn't have their **** together this year and who knows when they will start delivering vehicles.
Also things I actually care and missed about Tacoma:
  • manual transmission (I dread the day that I have to change the DCT fluid for the SC, no clue how, might have to take it to the dealer, manual transmission just a simple drain and refill)
  • naturally aspirated (I don't really care about turbo, if SC was naturally aspirated v6 with 300 horsepower I'd prefer that over turbo 4)
  • vast amount of aftermarket vendors for mods (I really want prinsu style roof rack, bug deflector, hub centric aftermarket wheels, plug and play tail light replacement etc on SC)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Criticism isn't hate. I think the explanation is rather simple: people have different opinions on anything. Two people can see the same movie. One will love it, and the other will hate it. I don't think there's any real need to analyze the situation. It's just different strokes for different folks. To each their own. I'm considering buying a Santa Cruz, but if the next person hates this vehicle, more power to them. I hope they find something that meets their needs.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Traditional truck owners think anything that doesn't have a V8 or diesel, a 6" lift, big tires, winch on the bumper and an 8 foot bed is worthless. Mid or compact trucks can't do real work they tell you. OK fine, but unless you are contractor, landscaper, roofer, or have another daily profession that requires a commercial work vehicle who cares? Almost all of the full size truck owners I know just use their awesome man machines to drive back and forth to work and little else. Something that honestly would best accomplished with a Prius (oh the horror!) However you get no respect pulling up to Lowes or your local watering hole in anything but a fully loaded and lifted F250. I just don't get it... when I ask people why they drive these huge things they can't really give me a reason beyond: its cool, its comfortable, its safer. Thus I've come to the conclusion its purely an image thing. They like riding around above everyone, its a display of dominance and power. Getting a smaller truck is admitting defeat or weakness which just not acceptable.

I do see parallels with the Miata. Because anyone who has spent anytime at a race track (circuit or road course, not drag strip) knows one of the best and most popular cars (for good reason) is a Miata. The name of the game in real racing is lightness and skill as passing occurs under braking and in corners. However because a Miata is seen as a little girly car, with a tiny engine, most men, who ironically have never actually driven on a race course and thus I have NO clue what they are talking about, think its just a silly toy. Oh how wrong they are, the Miata is a weapon of precision like an knife vs a chainsaw when it comes to cutting a corner. My experience is people who bash Miatas are generally the same people who wreck Mustangs, Camaros or Challengers pulling out of Cars and Coffee because they can't figure out how to keep the thing pointed straight. Now I love my V8 Corvette but I know for a fact that a Miata or Boxster in the hands of a skilled driver will likely run a faster lap time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It stems back to the EL Camino, Ranchero days. They were sporty cars with limited haul(payload) capacity. I love the '68 to 72 ElCamino, and the '70 to 79 Rancheros.....they were never intended to go off road.
I owned three El Camino's, great vehicles. Towed drag car all over the Midwest with them. Then small S-10 (sucked) and finally 2006 Baja that I want to replace with a Santa Cruz. I guess I'm a sucker for vehicles that seem to have a limited production life.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts