Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Traditional truck owners think anything that doesn't have a V8 or diesel, a 6" lift, big tires, winch on the bumper and an 8 foot bed is worthless. Mid or compact trucks can't do real work they tell you. OK fine, but unless you are contractor, landscaper, roofer, or have another daily profession that requires a commercial work vehicle who cares? Almost all of the full size truck owners I know just use their awesome man machines to drive back and forth to work and little else. Something that honestly would best accomplished with a Prius (oh the horror!) However you get no respect pulling up to Lowes or your local watering hole in anything but a fully loaded and lifted F250. I just don't get it... when I ask people why they drive these huge things they can't really give me a reason beyond: its cool, its comfortable, its safer. Thus I've come to the conclusion its purely an image thing. They like riding around above everyone, its a display of dominance and power. Getting a smaller truck is admitting defeat or weakness which just not acceptable.

I do see parallels with the Miata. Because anyone who has spent anytime at a race track (circuit or road course, not drag strip) knows one of the best and most popular cars (for good reason) is a Miata. The name of the game in real racing is lightness and skill as passing occurs under braking and in corners. However because a Miata is seen as a little girly car, with a tiny engine, most men, who ironically have never actually driven on a race course and thus I have NO clue what they are talking about, think its just a silly toy. Oh how wrong they are, the Miata is a weapon of precision like an knife vs a chainsaw when it comes to cutting a corner. My experience is people who bash Miatas are generally the same people who wreck Mustangs, Camaros or Challengers pulling out of Cars and Coffee because they can't figure out how to keep the thing pointed straight. Now I love my V8 Corvette but I know for a fact that a Miata or Boxster in the hands of a skilled driver will likely run a faster lap time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I presently have a 10th Anniversary Miata, a mint RX-7 Turbo (original owner), Infiniti Q50-S and a 2010 Ranger (also original owner). Of these, whlle the RX-7 gets the most comments, the most fun to drive is absolutely the Miata. One night, after a few too many drinks, my buddy had to drlve us home in the Miata, the result? He asked me to sell him the car; in his garage is a Corvette Z06 and a Benz, but he wants the Miata. Anybody that says a Miata is chick car doesn't know cars. That being said the vehicle I drive the most is the Ranger, I love that truck, it's been SUPER reliable, preserves the other cars and with the 5 speed manual somewhat fun. The original intent was to replace the Ranger with the Cruz (wanted something with more amenities and something my wife will drive, she hates the other cars, needs an automatic and wants to sit high), but as time goes on and following this forum I'm becoming less and less interested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I presently have a 10th Anniversary Miata, a mint RX-7 Turbo (original owner), Infiniti Q50-S and a 2010 Ranger (also original owner). Of these, whlle the RX-7 gets the most comments, the most fun to drive is absolutely the Miata. One night, after a few too many drinks, my buddy had to drlve us home in the Miata, the result? He asked me to sell him the car; in his garage is a Corvette Z06 and a Benz, but he wants the Miata. Anybody that says a Miata is chick car doesn't know cars. That being said the vehicle I drive the most is the Ranger, I love that truck, it's been SUPER reliable, preserves the other cars and with the 5 speed manual somewhat fun. The original intent was to replace the Ranger with the Cruz (wanted something with more amenities and something my wife will drive, she hates the other cars, needs an automatic and wants to sit high), but as time goes on and following this forum I'm becoming less and less interested.
I can relate..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Beautiful cars, folks. I'd give my left whatzis to have my old '65 Austin-Healey 3000 back again.

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is getting derailed quickly... :love:

IMG_2271.jpeg
Buddies track prepped Miata on the trailer, along with my 350Z and my brothers Golf R at Sebring.

IMG_6414.jpeg
A few years later, upgrades were applied - brother's Boxster GTS and my C7 Z51 at Sebring.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts

Pile on! I enjoyed mine, but unfortunately I'm just not a good driver. I never truly mastered heel-toe, and only once in a blue moon would I get a perfect rev matched heel-toe.
Also, I would really use a bigger set of balls because I don't dare to push it too fast around the corner near the limit

·
Registered
127 Posts
Beautiful cars, folks. I'd give my left whatzis to have my old '65 Austin-Healey 3000 back again.
Love the 3000, gave serious thought to buying one back in 87, went with the RX-7, wanted reliability. What a nice 3000 is worth now you could buy a couple of Santa Cruz'... well if we knew the price lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
View attachment 927

Pile on! I enjoyed mine, but unfortunately I'm just not a good driver. I never truly mastered heel-toe, and only once in a blue moon would I get a perfect rev matched heel-toe.
Also, I would really use a bigger set of balls because I don't dare to push it too fast around the corner near the limit
Practice, makes perfect. Until I had the Infiniti never owned an automatic, driver's license for 50 years, NYC traffic most of the time.... that being said, Carvana is picking up the Infiniti Monday. I hate automatics. One thing I prefer in the Cruz over the Maverick.... paddle shifters. I realize I'm a dinosaur.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
Practice, makes perfect. Until I had the Infiniti never owned an automatic, driver's license for 50 years, NYC traffic most of the time.... that being said, Carvana is picking up the Infiniti Monday. I hate automatics. One thing I prefer in the Cruz over the Maverick.... paddle shifters. I realize I'm a dinosaur.
Yes, if Hyundai can put a 6 speed manual, 300 horsepower, torque vectoring AWD and make a Santa Cruz N, that would be a vehicle that I want and can do it all...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Might as well add to the pile. My ‘95 Miata was so sweet with adjustable shocks and sticky meats. I liked it with the hardtop on as it just felt less flexy in the corners. Later SVT Focus and Fiesta ST were a lot of fun too and more practical, but the Miata is still the one I miss the most. I would love to try the Miata RF, but not at current prices - over five times what I paid for mine used with comparable miles!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, if Hyundai can put a 6 speed manual, 300 horsepower, torque vectoring AWD and make a Santa Cruz N, that would be a vehicle that I want and can do it all...
I'm with you, unfortunately our manual options are very limited and don't see them expanding. A Cruz N is an interesting proposition, have a feeling the next model year will bring some nice additions.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
Yeah buddy!! That would be sweet. Hyundai actually has a nice little 6 speed manual, well, they did a few years ago at least. Tried it out in an Accent when I was looking at mini cars with a stick. Found a dealer with one on the lot! Admittedly, I really enjoyed the heck out of the Nissan Micra with the 5 speed too. You could really wind it up and make it go, for what it was. Always loved watching clips of the Micra Cup races ... which were all factory stock base motor/transmission cars with upgraded brakes. (And the interiors stripped out, roll cages added.) Years of racing them, they NEVER had a motor/trans go out. You could get a fully race-ready Cup car for under $25k (CAD). Still kinda wish I would have got one ... it was a blast to test drive. A little road noisy on the highway though.

Our GM dealer has a 2019 Civic Sport hatch on the lot right now with the 6 speed. I'm **** tempted to go talk to them about pricing. Except my wife can't drive a stick, so she's all ... but it's a stick. And I'm all like, that's the point! But I can't drive it. THAT'S THE POINT! LOL Yeah, I'll be lucky to make another 22 years with that attitude, eh?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah buddy!! That would be sweet. Hyundai actually has a nice little 6 speed manual, well, they did a few years ago at least. Tried it out in an Accent when I was looking at mini cars with a stick. Found a dealer with one on the lot! Admittedly, I really enjoyed the heck out of the Nissan Micra with the 5 speed too. You could really wind it up and make it go, for what it was. Always loved watching clips of the Micra Cup races ... which were all factory stock base motor/transmission cars with upgraded brakes. (And the interiors stripped out, roll cages added.) Years of racing them, they NEVER had a motor/trans go out. You could get a fully race-ready Cup car for under $25k (CAD). Still kinda wish I would have got one ... it was a blast to test drive. A little road noisy on the highway though.

Our GM dealer has a 2019 Civic Sport hatch on the lot right now with the 6 speed. I'm **** tempted to go talk to them about pricing. Except my wife can't drive a stick, so she's all ... but it's a stick. And I'm all like, that's the point! But I can't drive it. THAT'S THE POINT! LOL Yeah, I'll be lucky to make another 22 years with that attitude, eh?
Exactly, that's why my cars are all in great shape, my wife can't drive them......going to get cancelled now. Well at least the next 22 years you'll have that stick, lol. Those Civics are nice cars.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Criticism isn't hate. I think the explanation is rather simple: people have different opinions on anything. Two people can see the same movie. One will love it, and the other will hate it. I don't think there's any real need to analyze the situation. It's just different strokes for different folks. To each their own. I'm considering buying a Santa Cruz, but if the next person hates this vehicle, more power to them. I hope they find something that meets their needs.
True, most posts are just criticism for some reason or another, but there are many that flat out hate it and dismiss the Santa Cruz as a useless POS. How short sited they are.

I owned three El Camino's, great vehicles. Towed drag car all over the Midwest with them. Then small S-10 (sucked) and finally 2006 Baja that I want to replace with a Santa Cruz. I guess I'm a sucker for vehicles that seem to have a limited production life.
A three El Camino family here too; 1967, 1974 and a 1979-80 (can't remember) that got the IROC treatment and was a very sweat ride (I'll try to find a picture of that one and add to the derailment - LOL).

Found an old photo album.

It was a 1978 with a upgraded grill and IROC-SS drop front axle, suspension and skirt kit offered by a firm not far from where the Santa Cruz was designed. Had a 350/350 with aluminum drum rear axle. Paint work was BMW Artic Blue. Put bike fork mounts on the front of the bed and towed a 1925 Mahogany Chris-Craft replica with it everywhere. Good times! Nothing but power to spare.

A cousin had one of those when I was a child, a bight red convertible. We called it the "Hun-hun" and played in it as kids pretending to be Speed Racer.

This is getting derailed quickly... :love:
LOL... In leu of pricing, what are you gonna do? Love all the cars. It seems one group that really appreciates the Santa Cruz are sports car and car guys in general. Some of the best people on earth!

·
Registered
490 Posts
A manual N-Line would be incredible but given the decline in three pedal vehicles I doubt it will happen. BMWs newest 2 series is auto only. The 2 was last true to its history BMW so when it gives up the stick I fear nothing else will be left, maybe just the Mustang? In a few shorts years the Miata will be the only manual you can still buy. Even the Corvette went DCT.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Kona N that's coming this fall has 280hp from the 2.0T... they should easily be able to put out a Cruz N with over 300hp.
I'm with you, unfortunately our manual options are very limited and don't see them expanding. A Cruz N is an interesting proposition, have a feeling the next model year will bring some nice additions.
I'm hoping at least an N-Line in the near future like they did with the Kona; replacing the gray plastic on that with body color pieces made a huge difference in appearance. Give us the N-Line first while they take their time and really do the N right.
1626006392649.png

·
Registered
26 Posts
It seems one group that really appreciates the Santa Cruz are sports car and car guys in general. Some of the best people on earth!
I like this group. We are looking for a stylish, comfortable, easily park able, "utility vehicle", that we can bring home that recliner, or entertainment center we bought because we cannot fit them in the back our 'Vette, Stang or Miata.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts