Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I like this group. We are looking for a stylish, comfortable, easily park able, "utility vehicle", that we can bring home that recliner, or entertainment center we bought because we cannot fit them in the back our 'Vette, Stang or Miata.
Good summary. This might be due to the fact there is no such thing as a sports truck anymore. Lowered with ground effects with a focus on handling or performance? Nope... just lifted, oversized tanks with terrible handling characteristics. I need a truck but I don't want a ponderous boring thing.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Another video that I found to be informative.
I feel the young lady's pricing pain! LOL...

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
The Santa Cruz is NO threat to the Ford Lightning with its frunk, bi-directional charging, and multiple power outlets in the bed. MSRP is $52K for the XLT trim and with federal/state rebates the price drops to $42K. That is the vehicle that will sell like hotcakes at a church breakfast. :) But there won't be enough produced for the demand.

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
Agree it's no threat to all electric anything. You won't see me even parking near an all electric car in these early years of experimentation. Same goes for self driving anything. Neither are on my purchase radar. I'll let others bite that bullet.

Latest up in flames recall...
GM urges Chevy Bolt EV owners to park their cars outside due to fire risk
Appears no one is immune from recalls.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Appears no one is immune from recalls.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You won't see me even parking near an all electric car in these early years of experimentation. Same goes for self driving anything. ...
All well and good, but they're right beside, in front, and in back of us on the highway. :unsure:

·
Registered
TBD
41 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Santa Cruz is NO threat to the Ford Lightning with its frunk, bi-directional charging, and multiple power outlets in the bed. MSRP is $52K for the XLT trim and with federal/state rebates the price drops to $42K. That is the vehicle that will sell like hotcakes at a church breakfast. :) But there won't be enough produced for the demand.
I wasn't necessarily saying it was a challenge to the lightning, I was saying I was getting the territory of it and price-wise and I need to weigh my options. Also the information I'm finding about the tax credit keeps making it seem like it's just a standard deduction you actually don't get 7.5k in tax relief, but just the taxes that that amount being deducted would save you. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
I wasn't necessarily saying it was a challenge to the lightning, I was saying I was getting the territory of it and price-wise and I need to weigh my options. Also the information I'm finding about the tax credit keeps making it seem like it's just a standard deduction you actually don't get 7.5k in tax relief, but just the taxes that that amount being deducted would save you. Is that correct?
No, it's more like a tax refund. If you have enough income to have more than $7.5k tax liability, I think it's somewhere around annual income of $65k, you then ought to pay the federal government more than $7.5k in income tax.

So if you buy an EV let's say right now, you still pay the full price, and pay taxes (in most people's case, federal income tax deducted from paycheck) life goes on as normal
Next year when you file your tax return, you can file a form that's EV tax credit. If the vehicle qualifies for $7.5k credit, and you paid more than $7.5k in taxes, then it'll be credited back to you. If less than $7.5k, then you'll get credited the amount of tax you paid in the year you file the tax return.

So yeah, it kinda sucks for low income folks that can't really get the full tax credit

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline
165 Posts
I watched the TFL video on why their hybrid F-150 overheated while towing nearly 10,000 lbs at 10,000 feet of elevation. The truck was rated to two 11,000 pounds. Ford said the towing capacity should be reduced by 2% for every 1,000 feet of elevation. Basically the Hybrid F-150 towing capacity was then reduced by 20% at 10,000 feet of elevation.

I wonder if the same applies to the Santa Cruz with either engine option? That would reduce the towing capacity of the Santa Cruz (or the Ridgeline, the Colorado, the Ranger, etc) by 20% in the mountains of Colorado.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, it's more like a tax refund. If you have enough income to have more than $7.5k tax liability, I think it's somewhere around annual income of $65k, you then ought to pay the federal government more than $7.5k in income tax.

So if you buy an EV let's say right now, you still pay the full price, and pay taxes (in most people's case, federal income tax deducted from paycheck) life goes on as normal
Next year when you file your tax return, you can file a form that's EV tax credit. If the vehicle qualifies for $7.5k credit, and you paid more than $7.5k in taxes, then it'll be credited back to you. If less than $7.5k, then you'll get credited the amount of tax you paid in the year you file the tax return.

So yeah, it kinda sucks for low income folks that can't really get the full tax credit
Same with energy efficient credits; we replaced our central home A.C. with an efficient unit that qualified for a tax rebate, claimed the deduction on our annual tax filing. If you're of a lower income I'd probably suggest not looking at a 50k plus truck.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
208 Posts
Same with energy efficient credits; we replaced our central home A.C. with an efficient unit that qualified for a tax rebate, claimed the deduction on our annual tax filing. If you're of a lower income I'd probably suggest not looking at a 50k plus truck.
yeah, but surprisingly some plug in hybrid qualifies for $7.5k too, like the Toyota RAV4 Prime, fully loaded $48k, after the credit it's almost the exact price as the gasoline version but much faster. and that's more attainable.
another way to "get" the tax credit is to buy slightly used EVs, the original owner claimed the tax credit, so their prices are adjusted to reflect that

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
All well and good, but they're right beside, in front, and in back of us on the highway. :unsure:
Yeah, I know it's coming and it's scary!

If you're worried about risk of fire, you might want to steer clear of Hyundai/Kia products 😂😂😂
Lol... You don't see Hyundai or any other ICE vehicle manufacturer telling owners to not park their vehicles in their garages or near their homes to prevent your house from burning down and/or killing your family. Just saying... ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lol... You don't see Hyundai or any other ICE vehicle manufacturer telling owners to not park their vehicles in their garages or near their homes to prevent your house from burning down and/or killing your family. Just saying... ;)
Well, actually, I owned a Ford about 20 or more years ago that did get a recall which came with the warning to park outside until it was fixed. I don't remember why it was recalled now, but the vehicle was an ordinary gas guzzler.

• Sad
Reactions: HSC4ME

·
Registered
250 Posts
Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Maverick can haul 17 sheets of 1/2 plywood...thats all I needed to for the Maverick have one on order. ....can find info for the Santa Cruz
The Santa Cruz and Maverick are designed almost identically for purposes of bed utility:
Both designed around the ability to haul a stack of plywood sheets with bracing at equal height to the wheel wells and putting the tailgate partially down to support the end. Really, not much difference in usability except for all the extra hide away storage and the standard tonneau on the Santa Cruz. That and the weight, with SC having more weight capacity and HP than Maverick. Other than price and gas mileage on the hybrid (two very competitive features), the Maverick just does not have much else to offer as competition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just don't get the hate so many traditional truck owners state in their comments on numerous websites about the Santa Cruz. It's like their manhood is being threatened by the new city slicker in town that has it all and all the ladies like him better. Hyundai tells them this isn't a truck, it's a Sport Adventure Vehicle (SAV) aimed at adventurous type people that can make use of its' utility on weekends, while having a good looking daily driver that isn't oversized or difficult to turn around or park. It also gets reasonably good gas mileage similar to other CUV's.

The Santa Cruz is designed in California for the California active lifestyle. It should sell like pancakes on church Sunday if priced right. It can eliminate the need for two vehicles for many people that only own a boxy unattractive square truck, because they currently don't have any other option until this for their minor truck related jobs. It will make a great daily driver that's fun and attractive, plus fulfills most peoples weekend adventure and odd job needs.

I say two thumbs up to Hyundai for finally building this 2015 prototype debut vehicle. If you need a real truck and like how traditional trucks look and drive, then get a real truck! Why the hate? The Santa Cruz shouldn't threaten you if you are truly happy with your boxy truck. Don't worry, be happy...

Why does this beauty threaten so many traditional truck owners? Any psychiatrist out there? :rolleyes:
Welcome to what we Ridgeline owners have been dealing with for 16 years. :)

I happened to have owned more Hondas than any other brand and more Ridgelines than any other model, but I'm an auto enthusiast at heart and not married to any one brand or model - I buy what works best for me.

I'll admit I currently have no interest in purchasing a Santa Cruz for a number of reasons, but I do enjoy learning about new models, sharing the knowledge I've accumulated over the decades, and helping people compare and choose correctly without some of the bias that is often present in automotive publications and reviewers.

With that said, I'm very happy to see the Santa Cruz and Maverick come to market if for no other reason than to validate what the Ridgeline has been doing for 16 years. While I still don't see the Santa Cruz and Maverick as direct competition for the Ridgeline because they still lack some of the Ridgeline's advantages and have even smaller beds, I'm hopeful that they increase awareness and acceptance of unibody-based vehicles with open beds regardless of what you call them - trucks, sport adventure vehicles, or minivans-with-a-bed.

As for the Miata, I bought a new GT in 2019. As a member of an auto writers association, I have the opportunity to drive and evaluate dozens of new vehicles every year ranging from $20K economy cars to $100K+ sports and luxury vehicles. and could afford any. There are faster cars and there are better-sounding cars, but when it comes to smiles-per-dollar, the Miata gets my vote.

Back to the Santa Cruz...

I believe the masses of "real truck" owners are threatened by the Ridgeline, Maverick, and Santa Cruz simply because they're different. The reality is that most of these "real truck" owners never go off road or tow anywhere near the maximum capability of the vehicle. Some people DO need a heavy-duty truck with a diesel engine, but most don't which results in lots of sacrifices in efficiency, comfort, and convenience.

If "real truck" owners were honest about their actual needs, most of them would be driving unibody trucks, but they're more worried about what their friends/family/neighbors might think.

I'm proud of my "girly" Miata and "minivan-with-a-bed" Ridgeline. Anyone who doesn't like them is welcome to buy me an AMG S 63 Cabriolet and Ram 3500 Limited to replace them (which I would promptly sell and invest the proceeds).

41 - 60 of 69 Posts