Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
GET YOUR ADVENTURE ON!
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
This story is not the same one I referenced earlier, but once you go looking, it turns out they're all over the place: Ford recalling 2020 Explorer for fire risk
My father owned a '91(?) Ford "Exploder" :LOL: it had so many recalls he finally unloaded it and bought my used '91 Toyota Landcruiser when I upgraded to a used '87 Porsche Carrera Cab. That '91 TL was a good SUV, but it ate front brake pads up and MPG's weren't very good. Solid 4-wheeler!

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (eventually)
324 Posts
No one is safe, lol. Do horses self-combust?
Knowing several horse owners (both friends and family), I can enthusiastically say ... YES! Horses are one of THE most delicate flowers of the animal kingdom!! Whiff of moisture in a bail of hay? BOOM! Dead horse. Not to mention that those bails of hay can, do, and WILL spontaneously combust in an open field (or inside a barn) if they're not dry enough when bailed.

So, no ... nobody is safe.

**disclaimer: while horses may not spontaneously light themselves on fire, they WILL randomly twist their internal organs into knots and die. For no reason.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I wonder if the same applies to the Santa Cruz with either engine option? That would reduce the towing capacity of the Santa Cruz (or the Ridgeline, the Colorado, the Ranger, etc) by 20% in the mountains of Colorado.
My personal rule of towing - you don’t want to be anywhere near the limit. To tow comfortably take the OEM rating number and divide it in half to be on the safe side. So a vehicle rated to tow 5,000lbs will handle around 3,000lbs all day long under a variety of conditions. It will handle 4,000lbs in most conditions but can really only do it’s limit under ideal conditions. That’s why it’s called the limit, it’s the max you can tow if conditions are perfect - no hills, slow speeds, mild temperatures, etc. Even a simple head wind will stress the vehicle and start causing problems. Think of it like redline on the engine: no problems in short bursts but you can’t drive with needle pegged constantly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
agreed. I've owned a Ridgeline since 2006 (2 trucks), heard the comments for years mostly from ignorant types hiding behind a keyboard....fills a niche just like the Santa Cruz which is why I'm here and put my 100 down for a Limited Turbo in Blue Stone...looking forward to seeing one, hopefully soon
Awesome.. Limited Turbo in Stone Blue ordered here too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Maverick can haul 17 sheets of 1/2 plywood...thats all I needed to for the Maverick have one on order. ....can find info for the Santa Cruz
If you need haul 17 sheets of 1/2 plywood, why would you consider the SC? It is CLEARLY not marketed for that kind of customer. The Ford is less $$ for the base... now you can afford to buy the wood too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Traditional truck owners think anything that doesn't have a V8 or diesel, a 6" lift, big tires, winch on the bumper and an 8 foot bed is worthless. Mid or compact trucks can't do real work they tell you. OK fine, but unless you are contractor, landscaper, roofer, or have another daily profession that requires a commercial work vehicle who cares? Almost all of the full size truck owners I know just use their awesome man machines to drive back and forth to work and little else. Something that honestly would best accomplished with a Prius (oh the horror!) However you get no respect pulling up to Lowes or your local watering hole in anything but a fully loaded and lifted F250. I just don't get it... when I ask people why they drive these huge things they can't really give me a reason beyond: its cool, its comfortable, its safer. Thus I've come to the conclusion its purely an image thing. They like riding around above everyone, its a display of dominance and power. Getting a smaller truck is admitting defeat or weakness which just not acceptable.

I do see parallels with the Miata. Because anyone who has spent anytime at a race track (circuit or road course, not drag strip) knows one of the best and most popular cars (for good reason) is a Miata. The name of the game in real racing is lightness and skill as passing occurs under braking and in corners. However because a Miata is seen as a little girly car, with a tiny engine, most men, who ironically have never actually driven on a race course and thus I have NO clue what they are talking about, think its just a silly toy. Oh how wrong they are, the Miata is a weapon of precision like an knife vs a chainsaw when it comes to cutting a corner. My experience is people who bash Miatas are generally the same people who wreck Mustangs, Camaros or Challengers pulling out of Cars and Coffee because they can't figure out how to keep the thing pointed straight. Now I love my V8 Corvette but I know for a fact that a Miata or Boxster in the hands of a skilled driver will likely run a faster lap time.
But the Miata looks so..... well..... girly. But then again, I've met some pretty fast girlies. :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Who cares about truck guys? They can have their Ford v GM v Ram circle jerk to themselves.

This is coming from a guy whom owned both a Ford F150 and a 3rd Gen Miata, at the same time.

Both great vehicles in their own right.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts