Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am learning that the "cooler" area with the drain plug is apparently called a "brunk".

Okay, origin of the word? Is that a common word in the truck world?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe it's officially called "under bed storage" or "in bed storage", but "brunk" is becoming more popular as a slang term, since it's a trunk in the bed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
And the so called "cooler" isn't to be used as that while driving, because the locking mechanism is on the inside of the seal so water will splash into the lock and cause rusting. It's really just a "cooler" when you are parked and tailgating.

I think it makes for a unique storage location for things when you don't have that last half of the SUV to put stuff in securely.

·
Registered
161 Posts
And the so called "cooler" isn't to be used as that while driving, because the locking mechanism is on the inside of the seal so water will splash into the lock and cause rusting. It's really just a "cooler" when you are parked and tailgating.

I think it makes for a unique storage location for things when you don't have that last half of the SUV to put stuff in securely.
Ooops. I used it while driving on a recent 110 mile trip. Worked great.

Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
189 Posts

Open the drain plug before putting in the ice. As it melts, the water will drain, thus avoiding the issue.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Tesla's front truck is called a frunk so naturally the SC bed trunk is called a brunk. 😀
I believe that portmanteau was popularized for front trunks in rear engine Porsches and Volkswagens and the like long before Tesla was a company.

Brunk for the bed trunk is pretty new though, but we can make it a thing! :D

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,021 Posts
Ooops. I used it while driving on a recent 110 mile trip. Worked great.
That just might void your warranty! :LOL:

Open the drain plug before putting in the ice. As it melts, the water will drain, thus avoiding the issue.
The car behind you will love their free sprinkle.

My Porsche Boxster S had a frunk (front trunk) and a brunk (back trunk), which was really just a trunk.

It's 2:00am and Halloween is fast approaching. Do you know what's in your brunk?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I blame the Canadians for "brunk". 🤣 Just watched a review by Truck King in Canada from 3 months ago and they "call it a brunk".

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,131 Posts
Nope, not our fault. I blame Honda. Brunk has been floating around since they dropped the Ridgeline on the world. I've found references to it going back many years, in many forums.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nope, not our fault. I blame Honda. Brunk has been floating around since they dropped the Ridgeline on the world. I've found references to it going back many years, in many forums.
I think we started using it here around 4 months ago, but this is the oldest patient zero I can find for the virus, all the way back in 2016:

Seems to be picking up steam since the Santa Cruz launch though.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS
28 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts