Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I hope that's not true. That would give so many Americans a reason to not even consider this vehicle. (And, yes, I know how good diesels are, nowadays; the average American driver, sadly, does not.)
I hope it's not but it is possible.
However seeing the current trend, one of the vehicles that have joined being the ram 1500 diesel, i can only hope that diesel powertrains go further down segment, only time will tell

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hope it's not but it is possible.
However seeing the current trend, one of the vehicles that have joined being the ram 1500 diesel, i can only hope that diesel powertrains go further down segment, only time will tell
There have been diesels in some trucks recently, but I feel as though its less likely for the Santa Cruz because it is a smaller vehicle that is somewhere between a car and truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel like they will eventually have a diesel truck it maybe not be the Santa Cruz but Hyundai will comes with diesel truck in the near future. That's just where the trend is going. Especially since diesels are much more cleaner nowadays and quieter.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I feel like they will eventually have a diesel truck it maybe not be the Santa Cruz but Hyundai will comes with diesel truck in the near future. That's just where the trend is going. Especially since diesels are much more cleaner nowadays and quieter.
Not sure if they have plans for any other trucks to make their way to market, but with the growth they're having i wouldn't be all that surprised if they want to go upsegment from the SC

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Colorado and Canyon will be coming with a diesel next year and its supposed to be able to break the 30 mpg barrier for trucks. I'm hoping that will help to build excitement for diesels in smaller trucks so when Hyundai brings out the diesel SC with close to 40 mpg it will have a good reception.

We are seeing more and more diesels in smaller mainstream vehicles. Obviously VW has always been there. But now you have the Chevy Cruze, upcoming Colorado/Canyon, upcoming Mazda 6 diesel (which I'm sure that engine will find its way into their crossovers).

·
Registered
729 Posts
The Colorado and Canyon will be coming with a diesel next year and its supposed to be able to break the 30 mpg barrier for trucks. I'm hoping that will help to build excitement for diesels in smaller trucks so when Hyundai brings out the diesel SC with close to 40 mpg it will have a good reception.

We are seeing more and more diesels in smaller mainstream vehicles. Obviously VW has always been there. But now you have the Chevy Cruze, upcoming Colorado/Canyon, upcoming Mazda 6 diesel (which I'm sure that engine will find its way into their crossovers).
The colorado already gets MPG's into the high 20's, breaking into and passing the 30mpg mark should be a breeze for them with a diesel engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know about diesels:

a. Gas engines with direct injection, turbos, etc, have closed the efficiency gap significantly.
b. Europe is banning diesels (Paris to be diesel free by 2020; London is following).
c. Current gas prices are down $1 USD/gallon since last year (Diesel hasn't come down as much ($1USD/gal more in parts of NE, and up here in Canada). Means a diesel will never pay for the higher initial cost.*

*Note my crystal ball isn't clear on when gas prices will go back up. But, I am betting Chevy delays the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon (or puts just enough out for marketing hype - pickup with best fuel economy; taking title from Ram).

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't know about diesels:

a. Gas engines with direct injection, turbos, etc, have closed the efficiency gap significantly.
b. Europe is banning diesels (Paris to be diesel free by 2020; London is following).
c. Current gas prices are down $1 USD/gallon since last year (Diesel hasn't come down as much ($1USD/gal more in parts of NE, and up here in Canada). Means a diesel will never pay for the higher initial cost.*

*Note my crystal ball isn't clear on when gas prices will go back up. But, I am betting Chevy delays the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon (or puts just enough out for marketing hype - pickup with best fuel economy; taking title from Ram).
Assuming efficiency is the only consideration when choosing between a diesel and a low displacement DI turbo motor - yes diesel makes less sense. Although there will still be at least a 5mpg gap between the two.
However you can't ignore the performance benefits of diesel. The SC diesel is supposed to have about 190hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, while a high mpg gas motor will be probably be about 200 hp / 200 lb-ft. The diesel has 30 lb-ft more than even the 2.0T (currently 265 hp / 270 lb-ft) meaning that it will feel even more powerful than the 2.0T at lower rpms (where we spend most of our time anyway). So with the diesel you get most of the power of the top turbo motor with better efficiency than the smallest motor.

·
Registered
729 Posts
A manual transmission will help it even more in the lower power range, something i hope will actually become available.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
With it being geared more towards urbanites, I'm not sure they will offer a manual transmission. Many people don't know how to drive manual or prefer automatic these days. It depends on in their market research what they find I suppose, but they won't do it unless there is a anticipated high enough take rate.

·
Registered
729 Posts
With it being geared more towards urbanites, I'm not sure they will offer a manual transmission. Many people don't know how to drive manual or prefer automatic these days. It depends on in their market research what they find I suppose, but they won't do it unless there is a anticipated high enough take rate.
That could hold some truth even more so as a growing amount of car makers are phasing out manuals, those two combined make for a slim chance at manual.

:(

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is even the case with cars that one day had 1/2 of owners chosing a manual, that is no more: Understanding What's Really Killing the Manual Transmission

·
Registered
111 Posts
You could almost make the same argument about Diesel. I dont see many diesels downtown besides busses...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hydrogen will be something to look out for, seems like car makers are taking an increased interest in them, especially over at Toyota. Then there was either a German or American company I noticed that also wants to play in the Hydrogen ring.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't think this vehicle will see hydrogen fuel cells. THey would prioritize other vehicles for that.

THe diesel might not happen though, like you were saying @Dex

·
Registered
13 Posts
mainsteam vehicle will go fuel cell first
which means something like a sonata has that potential, but may never see it, all depends.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts